• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Some ENFP advice please

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am currently in IT but getting out and going into teaching. I have gotten to the point where I have no motivation for finishing the projects I need to finish before I leave my current job.

I feel like the projects are just for making money for people I don't care about -- the owners of the company.

I am having huge trouble focusing on the things I need to do.

I am a good programmer, but I am not suited to programming as a job. What I mean is, if I am interested in solving a problem, I can write good code, but when the requirements are set by someone else, with a commercial deadline, I find it extremely difficult to get going. I know I am in the wrong job for me and I am getting out but while I'm still here -- any advice for getting myself motivated to finish those projects?????

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am a programmer too and boy do I struggle with this.

How long until you are leaving and how much work do you have to wrap up? Last time I was in this exact situation I focused more on teaching people who were going to still be there about my code so they could finish it after I was gone. After all, they were going to have to learn it to maintain it anyway.

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've got 6 days to finish up some stuff that I can't hand over to anyone else.

I've realised that I have to insert "It is important to finish" so deeply into my core values that it becomes a part of me.

Maybe now is the time to do that!

pinballs

MBTI Type
INFP
when i've been in jobs where i don't believe in the end product, i focus on the individual who asked me to do the task, knowing that they probably don't believe in it either, but need to get it done to a high standard and make money for whatever reason, their kids or mortgage - if you don't do the work properly somebody else will have to clean up when you have left, maybe thinking about the short-distance of humans whose lives you will make more difficult rather than thinking too far ahead?

and also the pride in the fact that you have been trusted to do the task, they need you to do it and have had faith in your ability, you would be disappointing people as well letting them down in a practical sense. as enfp you are maybe friends with the people you work with rather than seeing them as simple colleagues, so to leave things in a mess would damage your relations with them..?

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
when i've been in jobs where i don't believe in the end product, i focus on the individual who asked me to do the task, knowing that they probably don't believe in it either, but need to get it done to a high standard and make money for whatever reason, their kids or mortgage - if you don't do the work properly somebody else will have to clean up when you have left, maybe thinking about the short-distance of humans whose lives you will make more difficult rather than thinking too far ahead?

and also the pride in the fact that you have been trusted to do the task, they need you to do it and have had faith in your ability, you would be disappointing people as well letting them down in a practical sense. as enfp you are maybe friends with the people you work with rather than seeing them as simple colleagues, so to leave things in a mess would damage your relations with them..?

That's a good one! Yes, these are the obvious points I've been missing! Thank you!

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I had to look at it like this.

- The amount of money I earned (Amount of time I had to work).
- The amount of time I had to work (Amount of money I earned).
- Ethics of my work (I can't be a salesman).
- Interacting with people (Service profession).

I foremost value not to interact too much with people, I like working alone or with a
specific other. After that, I like my work not to mess with my principles, so I can't be
a salesman (Although I worked with Timeshare). And then, I don't like to work too much
(In a relationship I find it particularly hard to seperate and go to work). Money is the
least of my problems-; as long if I can buy the food and drink I want, and afford a new
haircut and some clothes every now I'm fine. But then again, I'm no family man <_<

I go back and forth between writing and design, but it doesn't mean that my interest
for writing is gone when I change to design. My interest for it will always come back.
I just have to suck it up and wait for less rainy days.

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've found that deciding to use it as an opportunity to further develop my Te is motivating me to do it! It's an opportunity for personal growth ...