• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP question?

Ypsilon

MBTI Type
INFP
Anyone ever had the feeling that they were overwhelmed by too much things and I wanted to know what I should do to stop that feeling?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I think it's a normal part of the human condition!

For an INFP, I would suggest "me-time". Get out of there, wherever there is and get some time to yourself. For me, the world looks a better place alone at sunset on a deserted beach, but choose your own vice.

-Geoff

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
well when i feel that way i get as far away as i can from the things that are overwhelming me and try to take a walk or something to clear my head.

After i had my baby there were a lot of people in my apartment and i got so overwhelmed that i just started crying, and had to isolate myself in my room for about an hour, and then i felt a little better.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I guess the above two posts deal with being overwhelmed with whats going on in a certain area. One where you can escape from it, but you never specified what is overwhelming you. so I wouldn't be able to offer any advice.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When I'm feeling "down" (overwhelmed) and I do quite a bit, I take some individual time to think things over; go on a walk, run, go somewhere special, listen to music, whatever it may be that can relax myself.

Endolori

MBTI Type
INFP
I just shut off from the world and lie on my bed listening to music all day. :headphne:

That might not be possible all the time though, especially if you don't want to shirk responsibility. Try watching comedies/funny stuff. Humour often helps. :D

Or watching some documentary on some really pitiful children starving on the other side of the world. I find that puts things into perspective, and I can devise my action plan without feeling like everything's gonna crash on me.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Like the others have suggested, time alone is the answer. No people, no radios, no TV, no books, no games, no noise, open space. Don't try to think things through - just clear your head. Focus on your senses. Weeks of this are best, days if necessary, hours if you particularly feel like wasting your time.

Sequestered

MBTI Type
INFP
Anyone ever had the feeling that they were overwhelmed by too much things and I wanted to know what I should do to stop that feeling?

Most of my life.

Do you obsess about the things overwhleming you? Think about them to the point that your mind starts racing and you wish your thoughts would just shut up and give you a break? Do you have physical reactions to them when you think about them alone? (could be as subtle as cringing, clenching your jaw or your fists, digging your finger nails into your arm; more extreme would be things like "cutting," banging your head or fists on the wall to release some of the internal turmoil).

This is what I went through in high school, college, and beyond. What finally helped me was medication (for treatment of OCD, PTSD, and depression) and some therapy. What the medication did was dampen the "static" in my head, the incessant chatter and images so I could have a break from them). The therapy helped me identify past experiences I needed to "grieve" over and then move on from.

The medication and therapy helped motivate me to change the things I could change (hang on until I could change them) and accept the things I could not change.

Some people have an aversion to medication and therapy. For those folks I'd recommend, "The Feeling Good Handbook," by David B. Burns, M.D. There are sections on understanding your moods, how to "untwist" your thinking, etc.

Hope that helps.

snowflurri

MBTI Type
INFP
its quite normal isn't it?

I don't really think that you can do anything about it except to wait till it doesn't seem as significant as it did to you in the beginning.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
When overwhelmed, try to remember that you can handle it, and it won't confuse you forever, and it usually passes.