User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default What is feeling, really?

My belief is that it's something within people that connects us to others and to our own motivations. I've heard some say that it's actually an aspect of reality outside of people, but I don't really believe that feelings would exist without people to experience them. I feel like you need people to have feelings... and that they aren't a part of reality itself, but are the most important pattern for us in a more intricate and complex reality that includes people.

Also, do you distinguish between "higher" and "lower" emotions? For instance, higher ones being things such as charity, politeness, and a sense of pride. Lower ones could be things like lust, anger, and fear. I tend to feel good about the higher ones, and avoid the lower ones as much as possible.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    My belief is that it's something within people that connects us to others and to our own motivations. I've heard some say that it's actually an aspect of reality outside of people, but I don't really believe that feelings would exist without people to experience them. I feel like you need people to have feelings... and that they aren't a part of reality itself, but are the most important pattern for us in a more intricate and complex reality that includes people.

Also, do you distinguish between "higher" and "lower" emotions? For instance, higher ones being things such as charity, politeness, and a sense of pride. Lower ones could be things like lust, anger, and fear. I tend to feel good about the higher ones, and avoid the lower ones as much as possible.
    I think "higher emotions" are very distinguishable as products of "higher thinking".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

A word used to describe a state of mind, linked to what value to oneself the object/ whatever more than to objective use or purpose.

That make sense?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFP

Charity, politeness, and a sense of pride aren't of much merit in my mind..

Lust, anger, and fear teach us so much about ourselves... charity, politeness, and pride only pull the wool that much further over our orbs.

Feelings are tools.. they are involuntary reactions that can give us a lot of insight into our needs.. if you could only listen to them.. you can find the key to your happiness.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

There's not much I can add there.

I often have a hard time understanding non-F types. To me emotion seems as evident as reason. Or even part of it. And if you experience emotions, you might as well try and cultivate them, in the way you mentioned higher & lower energies.

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Feelings are states of mind that colour your world and bias your thinking one way or another.

A feeling can wrest conscious control away from your body. It is a very deep and unsettling force that destroys the coolness and state of balance within. Feelings can be moderated - to a limited extent - by conscious thought (rationalisation) or repression. They always find some way out though.

To me, the worst feeling is that deep sense of injustice. I feel it as if there is a large lump in me that has rearranged my insides. I have to get it out to feel normal again.

I think feelings can be counted as the motivation, not the connection between motivation and action.. we act so that our positive feelings are enhanced, or act so that we can stop the encroachment of negative feelings.

I think there are 'base' feelings that are hormonally derived (lust and anger) - these tend to be very strong yet usually fleeting, very bodily-driven (when I'm angry, I can FEEL that adrenalin surging!), and you're in a selfish state. These are caused by simple external events - so they tend to be reactions. eg that person made me angry because they were insensitive... or that person is incredibly hot, I want to have his babies, right now!

Then there are the feelings that are driven by your values, so they're derived internally and built with elements of conscious thought. These tend to be slower in a way, and more constant. They are like the background music to your life. These feelings are complex, have a myriad of causes and make up the core of who you are. So they're different for everyone. Simmering anger can be a part of this state! But this anger is generally more 'noble' - anger at injustice or hypocrisy, for example.

I value charity. Politeness is nice. Pride - that is negatively tinged for me.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Leaping.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    I think "higher emotions" are very distinguishable as products of "higher thinking".
    In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Charity, politeness, and a sense of pride aren't of much merit in my mind..

Lust, anger, and fear teach us so much about ourselves... charity, politeness, and pride only pull the wool that much further over our orbs.

Feelings are tools.. they are involuntary reactions that can give us a lot of insight into our needs.. if you could only listen to them.. you can find the key to your happiness.
    Yeah... but I'm mildly disgusted by things lust, fear, and anger for the most part. I understand that they exist in people, and I accept that, but I feel disgusted all the same. I tend to idealize the higher ones as things we should strive for. What does that say about me, in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    I think feelings can be counted as the motivation, not the connection between motivation and action.. we act so that our positive feelings are enhanced, or act so that we can stop the encroachment of negative feelings.
    I agree. But awareness of our feelings puts us in touch with our motivations. I guess that's what I meant.

I value charity. Politeness is nice. Pride - that is negatively tinged for me.
    Even if it's pride in your work, or pride in trying to be a good person rather than just doing whatever you want?

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Even if it's pride in your work, or pride in trying to be a good person rather than just doing whatever you want?
    Yes - because if I stop to be proud, then I stop. It's a formula for complacency and self-satisfaction. It's kind of weird because I don't see that happening in other people and generally encourage them to 'see how far they've come' without being afraid that they will become complacent.

Thought about this a bit further: I do feel proud of others, I feel proud of the organisation I work for - but my feelings cannot contribute to any complacency because they are external, so then I'm allowed to feel proud! Soooo complicated...
    Last edited by sciski; 01-17-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: second thought

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    Yes - because if I stop to be proud, then I stop. It's a formula for complacency and self-satisfaction. It's kind of weird because I don't see that happening in other people and generally encourage them to 'see how far they've come' without being afraid that they will become complacent.

Thought about this a bit further: I do feel proud of others, I feel proud of the organisation I work for - but my feelings cannot contribute to any complacency because they are external, so then I'm allowed to feel proud! Soooo complicated...
    Ah... yes, I understand that. I tend to be very down on myself, pessimistic. I only believe something good about myself if several people say it, and then it only takes one person disagreeing to make me start doubting myself again.

I definitely tend to be proud of things that people are close to me accomplish... vicariously, I guess. I always tend to think my own accomplishments are a just a fluke for some reason.