• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Question to feelers.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
What is it like to be a feeler? I always wondered. To be primary Fe/Fi. Is it like the world vibrates somewhere inside of you... or I don't know.

If you see like an earthquake on TV with people who need help you feel empathy compassion ..stuff like that? Because I don't really feel a thing.

Or if a friend is in pain...I don't really feel anything either. I just try to improve things, but I don't really feel his pain.

I remember when I was on the seaside watching the sun from a remote place on the beach ...there weren't many people there...just the wind ..the sound of the sea...and the view. And I didn't really feel a thing. It was frustrating. I was just thinking about some random thing in my head.
I don't feel much.

I feel something strong only if it's related to me.

How do you feel everything?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
feeling≠emotion in MBTI, retard. you have emotions. unless you're a sociopath.

and not every feelers is going to be moved by a sunset, I know I'm not and some thinkers will be.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4

and not every feelers is going to be moved by a sunset, I know I'm not and some thinkers will be.

Agreed, Id be more interested in how a sensing vs intuitive dominants experience emotions than Ts vs Fs.

Plus empathy is not an irrational (ie not F or T) or emotional response. Its not even just an F thing. Empathy involves all functions.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I think that to call the function "feeling" is causing a lot of mistypings...

Jaguar

What is it like to be a feeler? I always wondered. To be primary Fe/Fi. Is it like the world vibrates somewhere inside of you... or I don't know.

If you see like an earthquake on TV with people who need help you feel empathy compassion ..stuff like that? Because I don't really feel a thing.

Or if a friend is in pain...I don't really feel anything either. I just try to improve things, but I don't really feel his pain.

I remember when I was on the seaside watching the sun from a remote place on the beach ...there weren't many people there...just the wind ..the sound of the sea...and the view. And I didn't really feel a thing. It was frustrating. I was just thinking about some random thing in my head.
I don't feel much.

Have you ever considered the possibility that your problem isn't type related?

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop

I don't feel much.

Sometimes I am more empathic than average and other times I am less empathic than average; it depends on what's going on at the time, what my mood is, if my perspective has changed regarding that particular scenario/situation.

If my friend is feeling bad, I try to help them with practical solutions. I don't 'feel' their pain really. I actually have a hard time listening to them whine.

I am more empathic toward those who are less fortunate - I feel they deserve more compassion. It's hard to explain the rationality of that. Shouldn't I feel more sorry for the people I am close to and love instead of complete strangers half a world away? It depends. For me, if the situation is caused by the said 'sad' person, it's their fault and my sympathy is at a minimum. If it's a hurricane and the person lost his entire family, my sympathy is more because the person didn't cause the hurricane. And he lost his family because the state didn't do enough/etc/etc. I suppose that is somewhat reasonable. My empathy isn't always consistent or can be outlined. It comes and goes depending on many, many factors. Some thing like "emotional residue", I have a lot of that whereas Thinkers may not. They face something/someone, they resolve it and it is all fine. For me, there are "left over feelings" and they surface without warning, without logic, with turbulence. Emotional residue is problematic. When we face a situation/a person, it's not just this one situation or person but our history with situations/people. Feelings are complicated (esp. for me). I'm not bipolar, I am multi-polared. :)

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I don't relate to many things listed in the OP.

Sure, it is terrible when an earthquake kills several people. The thing is I am aware that people suffer and die all the time, just people make only a fuss out of it when there is some big drama where several people die at once. If I would be too emotionally invested in every case a person on this world dies I would be even more fucked up than I already am.

I don't know about pain of friends. My "friends" usually didn't talk about problems to me, probably they keep them for themselves in general. The person I fell in love with I literally feeled pain though with when she felt bad, but that is another connection than friendship I guess.

The beach thing wouldn't touch me either. I never really feel much invested when I am at a so called "romantic place". I guess it is more an S thing, but I guess for such generalization I might get slapped :p However such places where I am alone can make me think about things and those thoughts can wake up emotions in me again.

Then again, when there is some random, even fitional situation which I see in TV or somewhere else it can touch me again pretty much, so I never really know when emotions come and go. But usually when I am alone :)

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Feeling=Subjective
Thinking=Objective

Everyone does both, some just more than the other.

priestessofmars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Its okay to be more of a thinker than a feeler.
It can be hard being F because you can be so attached to people/situations, Feeling ppl need to practice rationality and Thinking people need to practice... compassion maybe? Not to say thinkers are not compassionate at all but just like feeling people need to practice disconnecting themselves from things thinkers could practice putting themselves in other peoples shoes. For example, really using your imagination and trying to see how it would be to live another person's life, then you would have a better idea of how they feel.
I think some thinkers could practice that more since they can sometimes be not-so-good at providing emotional support to the feeling people in their life and I think that would be the only place where being too thinking oriented could be a bad thing.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Its okay to be more of a thinker than a feeler.
It can be hard being F because you can be so attached to people/situations, Feeling ppl need to practice rationality and Thinking people need to practice... compassion maybe? Not to say thinkers are not compassionate at all but just like feeling people need to practice disconnecting themselves from things thinkers could practice putting themselves in other peoples shoes. For example, really using your imagination and trying to see how it would be to live another person's life, then you would have a better idea of how they feel.
I think some thinkers could practice that more since they can sometimes be not-so-good at providing emotional support to the feeling people in their life and I think that would be the only place where being too thinking oriented could be a bad thing.

Thank You priestess.:yes:

That was a wonderful example of what I saying in the the post above yours.

You start out with a great flow of objectivity pointing out how each function might affect the way person reacts to something and how they could perhaps be better prepared for an opposite reaction. It's always better to present a problem with a solution in tow.

However it could be argued that feeling people need to give better intellectual and rational support to the thinkers in their life, and maybe not drown them in emotions.

So at that point you became subjective. You went from 3rd person to 1st person and from objective thinking to subjective feeling.

Not a criticism .. So I hope it does not come across as one.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Exactly. My ENTP brother is the one who helped me appreciate the stars and sunsets etc.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
if its any comfort, when i hear about earth quakes on tv, i rarely feel that much compassion. I feel bad about it but not serious pain, though that might be because i primarily use Fi.

Anyways, i think it just means were more emotional. Just like it seems. Its probably hard to imagine it when thats not how you think but its pretty much like that.

I definetely get my feelings hurt easily and i feel a deep compassion and love at times for my friends and even people i like who i sort of know. thats probably the most extreme element of my F side.

You sound sort of guilty about it which isnt fair to yourself, (if you are that is, i might be misreading). The world needs both types, and i think feeling nothing when by a quiet beautiful beach doesnt mean your a bad person or something. Nature doesnt make me weep too often either. I can visually appreciate a nice view but its rarely something that comes with emotions as well.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Feeling=Subjective
Thinking=Objective

Everyone does both, some just more than the other.

You better include a definition for subjective and objective too, since people commonly equate objective with rational and subjective with irrational.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
You better include a definition for subjective and objective too, since people commonly equate objective with rational and subjective with irrational.

Hmmm Not at all..

Subjective is simply attaching personal value to something.. It's the difference between mercy and justice, It's like being a vegetarian because you are aware of the scientific facts concerning proper human nutrition to achieve homeostasis through out the body or because "well it's wrong to kill animals have you ever looked into the eyes of a cow, man??!!"

Am I making sense?

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP

Wow.

Is this your general attitude or is it just an internet thing?

Did I say I don't have emotions? I said I wasn't empathic.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmmm Not at all..

Subjective is simply attaching personal value to something.. It's the difference between mercy and justice, It's like being a vegetarian because you are aware of the scientific facts concerning proper human nutrition to achieve homeostasis through out the body or because "well it's wrong to kill animals have you ever looked into the eyes of a cow, man??!!"

Am I making sense?

Errr, yeah. I know the difference. I'm thinking about others reading that :)

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Errr, yeah. I know the difference. I'm thinking about others reading that :)
I see .. I make attempts to be as succinct as possible.
And I hope , ideally that people know the definitions of words which are such important factors in the system they are apt to follow here.

Perhaps I am naive?