User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default INF's and Vulnerability

INF's are famous for feeling emotions very, very, very deeply, but being extremely guarded when it comes to expressing them, or revealing their dark side.

Today, I was talking with my friend when I brought up the point that I ended up in psychotherapy twice before I turned twelve. Immediately after saying that, I realized I shouldn't have and clammed up. But, she soon asks "Why?!"

I sort of did that awkward giggle and said "You don't want to know!" Hoping she would get the hint that that REALLY meant "I don't want to talk about it. I shouldn't have brought it up. Leave me alone!"

She replies: "Actually I do. That's WHY I asked!"

So I told her. And after I did. I immediately felt like I may as well be standing naked in front of her. It sounds odd, but I feel like our friendship can't ever be the same again. I fear she'll no longer think of me as fun, quirky and eccentric Jenny, but rather creepy, dark and unstable Jenny.

Weather or not she is still even thinking about this is beyond me. But, I feel like all the walls have been torn down and she now knows that I do, in fact, have a dark side. I hate this vulnerable feeling.

Also, I usually refrain from letting anyone read my poetry or creative writing things, not because they're bad, but because I don't want them to know what I'm really feeling.

I don't know, I guess that's all I have to say for now.

Comments? Questions? Relate? Can't relate? Exclamations? Complaints?

Throw 'em here.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

I can relate.

I would share more, but you know... I'm guarded about my emotions.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    I can relate.

I would share more, but you know... I'm guarded about my emotions.
    Respect.

The only reason I feel comfortable sharing any of this here is because I don't know any of you guys personally, so it wouldn't effect how you already think of me. Just in case I'm sounding ironic or somehow hypocritical.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Yeah, I feel massively awkward revealing too much about myself too. I tend to compartmentalize what I tell others, unless they reveal something dark about themselves that makes me feel comfortable to tell them about my dark side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Yeah, I had this problem, too, of not wanting to share anything and mistakenly doing so. But actually, it's probably good that this kind of thing happened.

What I had to realize as an introverted feeler, is that actually, chances are that people really don't actually give a shit about me and will forget that ever-so-important detail I just accidentally divulged about my life. Though if it's your friend, I don't know... the fact that she didn't respect your privacy when you obviously didn't feel comfortable, and she put you on the spot - well... I'd find a new friend. But that's just me. I know society seems to think being vulnerable is a bad thing because it causes more pain, but it's how you develop charisma as a human being. You can't be charming without willing to make yourself vulnerable. Why do us NFs makes up most of the successful artist, musician, thespian crowd? We know what it's like to be vulnerable and that's all art is really, if you think about it.

So, yeah, it'll all be fine.

P.S. That is unless, you spilled your beans to a gossip queen. Then you're fucked.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    Yeah, I had this problem, too, of not wanting to share anything and mistakenly doing so. But actually, it's probably good that this kind of thing happened.

What I had to realize as an introverted feeler, is that actually, chances are that people really don't actually give a shit about me and will forget that ever-so-important detail I just accidentally divulged about my life. Though if it's your friend, I don't know... the fact that she didn't respect your privacy when you obviously didn't feel comfortable, and she put you on the spot - well... I'd find a new friend. But that's just me. I know society seems to think being vulnerable is a bad thing because it causes more pain, but it's how you develop charisma as a human being. You can't be charming without willing to make yourself vulnerable. Why do us NFs makes up most of the successful artist, musician, thespian crowd? We know what it's like to be vulnerable and that's all art is really, if you think about it.
    So, yeah, it'll all be fine.

P.S. That is unless, you spilled your beans to a gossip queen. Then you're fucked.
    Extremely good points!

I think part of being an introverted feeler is being self concious. So you can think that people are always talking about you and thinking about you when they're really not.

I've noticed that! About the musicians and artists and such. I've always wondered how they go the nerve, though.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by musicnerd93 View Post
    Extremely good points!

I think part of being an introverted feeler is being self concious. So you can think that people are always talking about you and thinking about you when they're really not.

I've noticed that! About the musicians and artists and such. I've always wondered how they go the nerve, though.
    Music and art provide us an abstract and indirect way of presenting our emotions. We could write a lyric that is about a fictional character in the third person, and still have a connection to them by placing ourselves in their shoes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

What I had to realize as an introverted feeler, is that actually, chances are that people really don't actually give a shit about me and will forget that ever-so-important detail I just accidentally divulged about my life.
    That hasn't been my experience. If people care enough to ask or are just plain nosey, they care. If they don't care, the conversation tends to stay at the superficial and banal level. Since I prefer relationships of a little more depth, I inevitably make myself more vulnerable in the process. I take the risk of opening myself up in a way where information I give them can be used against me. I've been caught off guard on more than one occasion, thinking I could trust someone when I could not. After been burnt a few times, I'm much more cautious than I used to be. I think a lot of NFs probably experience this phenomenon.

Though if it's your friend, I don't know... the fact that she didn't respect your privacy when you obviously didn't feel comfortable, and she put you on the spot - well... I'd find a new friend.
    ^ Yes. I've become much more aware when others don't show respect for my boundaries.

But that's just me. I know society seems to think being vulnerable is a bad thing because it causes more pain, but it's how you develop charisma as a human being. You can't be charming without willing to make yourself vulnerable. Why do us NFs makes up most of the successful artist, musician, thespian crowd? We know what it's like to be vulnerable and that's all art is really, if you think about it.
    I can see the art connection. However, for me, vulnerability is more relevant relationally. Allowing myself to be vulnerable to another is trusting that I can completely be myself while being accepted and loved unconditionally by another. I've never had this experience before.

Quote Originally Posted by musicnerd93 View Post
    So I told her. And after I did. I immediately felt like I may as well be standing naked in front of her. It sounds odd, but I feel like our friendship can't ever be the same again. I fear she'll no longer think of me as fun, quirky and eccentric Jenny, but rather creepy, dark and unstable Jenny.

Weather or not she is still even thinking about this is beyond me. But, I feel like all the walls have been torn down and she now knows that I do, in fact, have a dark side. I hate this vulnerable feeling.
    Yeah. I recently had a very similar experience. It feels like "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide". Like you said, it feels like our relationship will never be the same again. Since I've never experienced this level of intimacy before, it's very scary.

It's strange to me how I conduct myself in the world. I see myself as coming across in a very authentic and honest way. However, I know that there's a facade I carry around with me of competence, confidence, strength (even coldness) that hides the intense emotions, insecurities and vulnerabilities underneath. Not many see behind the facade. But those who do need to care enough to really want to see. I found myself unknowingly revealing my dark side recently and that's extremely scary! It's enough to reveal ones shadow to oneself. I also hate this vulnerable feeling. BUT, I'm confused. I'm not sure exactly what I'm hating. The cat is now out of the bag, so to speak. He already knows now. What is there to fear?

MBTI
    INFJ

Oh musicnerd93 - I can definitely understand how this feels:

musicnerd93: I fear she'll no longer think of me as fun, quirky and eccentric Jenny, but rather creepy, dark and unstable Jenny.
    For this very reason, I often only open up about these things to people who have the same problems as me, but then I'm not really doing the talking. They are, but because their problems/viewpoints are the same as mine, it feels like I've vented. Maybe I'm circumventing the vulnerable feeling you're talking about.

But isn't there something to this? Isn't there a stigma about psychotherapy? And a stigma about anything mental / mental-health related? Even all the new-agey, touchy-feely, quality of life stuff -- aren't there pervading societal biases against these? (I'm finding them to be less so on the west than east coast).

musicnerd93:
    That's a good insight.

curiousfeeling: Music and art provide us an abstract and indirect way of presenting our emotions. We could write a lyric that is about a fictional character in the third person, and still have a connection to them by placing ourselves in their shoes.
    so does that make it safer?

MBTI
    INFJ

Onceajoan : I can see the art connection. However, for me, vulnerability is more relevant relationally. Allowing myself to be vulnerable to another is trusting that I can completely be myself while being accepted and loved unconditionally by another. I've never had this experience before.
    Wait, are you saying that you've never felt completely accepted and unconditionally loved?

I also hate this vulnerable feeling. BUT, I'm confused. I'm not sure exactly what I'm hating. The cat is now out of the bag, so to speak. He already knows now. What is there to fear?
    There is something very big and real to fear: there are people in this world who will become intimate with you, learn a lot about you, then turn around and judge you for it and/or use it against you. My father is a prime example -- anything he knows about anyone gets turned around and used against them, like a knife. It can be good or bad, but heaven forbid it be something embarrassing or shameful in the eyes of society.

Intense emotions, sensitivity, and vulnerability are seen as flaws in our society. Maybe we don't want to deal with the judgment, so we withhold these parts of ourselves. I don't think it's necessarily bad, just incredibly exhausting when there's no one around with whom you can "drop the facade". That being said... people are real and more accepting than I'm estimating... but if you are too nice / sensitive, people WILL walk all over you knowing you won't fight back...