• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] sweeping generalizations about INF*

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
There may be real data to back this up, but I'm interested in personal insight as well.

I have been told by a couple of people that INFP is more likely to choose a career in science than INFJ. I couldn't really map that back to the function preferences. Tertiary Ti would seem to be more favorable than Inferior Te, plus having primary Ni would also support e.g., a person wanting to do theoretical mathematics.

(The reason for comparing these two is that, yes, I'm trying to type someone and I'm pretty sure about the first three... :))

Love ya NFs!

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
There may be real data to back this up, but I'm interested in personal insight as well.

I have been told by a couple of people that INFP is more likely to choose a career in science than INFJ. I couldn't really map that back to the function preferences. Tertiary Ti would seem to be more favorable than Inferior Te, plus having primary Ni would also support e.g., a person wanting to do theoretical mathematics.

(The reason for comparing these two is that, yes, I'm trying to type someone and I'm pretty sure about the first three... :))

Love ya NFs!

Its my understanding that the opposite is true. As an INF who went through science, and works in engineering/science, it is also my experience that the opposite is true.*

* for the science fields I've seen, which are physics, chemistry, and materials science. bio or wildlife-bio or environmental science may all very well be different.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Career choice does not determine a person's functions, so I wouldn't use that criteria for deciding what type someone is. An ISFJ (or whatever) could choose a career in science also.

In Gifts Differing, Isabel Myers simply noted that both INFX types were surprisingly, frequently found working as research scientists. I don't see why either would have an edge over the other. As usual, Fi is being greatly underestimated though...Not to mention, INFPs are dealing with the external world through Ne, and INFJs through Fe, so that it seems INFJs tend to be more people-focused, IMO.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Career choice does not determine a person's functions, so I wouldn't use that criteria for deciding what type someone is. An ISFJ (or whatever) could choose a career in science also.

In Gifts Differing, Isabel Myers simply noted that both INFX types were surprisingly, frequently found working as research scientists. I don't see why either would have an edge over the other. As usual, Fi is being greatly underestimated though...Not to mention, INFPs are dealing with the external world through Ne, and INFJs through Fe, so that it seems INFJs tend to be more people-focused, IMO.

don't underestimate the importance of having J. In particular, INFJ's are MUCH closer to being an INTJ than is an INFP [IJ approach to life, shared Ni dom]. And, imo, INTJ's are the norm in [hard] science. Also, generally, J's stick to things more than do P's, and are better at understanding what is actually required and meeting those requirements while still being able to say "fuck this" to everything else that they want to say that to. Remember, INFJ's are usually less dissatisfied in their careers than are INFP's. Also, I'm guessing that Ni is useful in science, or at least lots of scientists have and use it. The best an INFP usually can do is *pretend* to be or play at being an INTP, but I'm afraid to say that Ti has no real place in science, or at best it should but I've rarely if ever seen it. I've yet to really see expression of Ne in science either, other than maybe in making analogies to explain concepts to non-technical people. Also, IME, INTJ's squash NFP's like bugs, but ENFP's are too ?jolly? ?busy brainstorming? ?gregarious? to care. Also, I think INTJ's are much more comfortable with INFJ's than they are with INFP's, and since INTJ's are the norm in science ime, don't discount the importance of that either. Every single day I wonder if I want to quit my job [and historically the job before it, and the two schools before it], JUST based upon how much I DON'T like INTJ's, and they started it. Remember, in many ways INFP's and INTJ's are shadows or opposite of each other, and most people don't like spending every single [work]day seeing someone in their face who excels where they naturally suck. Also, INFJ's can fake being an NT, or appear as being a NT, MUCH more easily than can an INFP.

I wish their were more INFp's in science. I['m sure they are more common in bio, environemntal science, and especially psych. But in the hard sciences, I know of only one [hint: me]. Also, of the 3 NF's I've known in my physics training, both NFP's didn't get a PhD, and only the INFJ did. Don't underestimate the impact of that J.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
don't underestimate the importance of having J. In particular, INFJ's are MUCH closer to being an INTJ than is an INFP [IJ approach to life, shared Ni dom]. And, imo, INTJ's are the norm in [hard] science. Also, generally, J's stick to things more than do P's, and are better at understanding what is actually required and meeting those requirements while still being able to say "fuck this" to everything else that they want to say that to. Remember, INFJ's are usually less dissatisfied in their careers than are INFP's. Also, I'm guessing that Ni is useful in science, or at least lots of scientists have and use it. The best an INFP usually can do is *pretend* to be or play at being an INTP, but I'm afraid to say that Ti has no real place in science, or at best it should but I've rarely if ever seen it. I've yet to really see expression of Ne in science either, other than maybe in making analogies to explain concepts to non-technical people. Also, IME, INTJ's squash NFP's like bugs, but ENFP's are too ?jolly? ?busy brainstorming? ?gregarious? to care. Also, I think INTJ's are much more comfortable with INFJ's than they are with INFP's, and since INTJ's are the norm in science ime, don't discount the importance of that either. Every single day I wonder if I want to quit my job [and historically the job before it, and the two schools before it], JUST based upon how much I DON'T like INTJ's, and they started it. Remember, in many ways INFP's and INTJ's are shadows or opposite of each other, and most people don't like spending every single [work]day seeing someone in their face who excels where they naturally suck. Also, INFJ's can fake being an NT, or appear as being a NT, MUCH more easily than can an INFP.

I wish their were more INFp's in science. I['m sure they are more common in bio, environemntal science, and especially psych. But in the hard sciences, I know of only one [hint: me]. Also, of the 3 NF's I've known in my physics training, both NFP's didn't get a PhD, and only the INFJ did. Don't underestimate the impact of that J.

Thanks for the replies, all very interesting.

I agree that either type can do it. ANY type can do almost any job, of course. I'm talking about likelihood merely because it came up in the context of this person - who I still can't type worth a damn (leaning INFP though, so there are others in hard science out there... )

In my field (physics), the main type by far is ISTJ/ESTJ, followed by ISTP, INTJ, ENTJ, and INTP.

As a Ti-user, I find there is a huge place for it in my work, along with Ne... I use them together to build systems to explain data. The 'P' if it may be considered on it's own, is quite useful in letting me jump out of the box and make connections that others won't because they're tied down to the current paradigms too much. Of course it also makes it hard for me to draw lines in writing up a result.

I think it could depend on the person's personal development as well. For instance, male INFP (similarly situated in some ways as a female INTP) are going to be pushed early and often to develop other functions. Perhaps this gives them the kind of early balance which allows for them to use lesser-preferred functions ?

Scott N Denver - if you don't mind my asking, if you got out of science, what do you think you would do? Would it necessarily be more people-oriented?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
but I'm afraid to say that Ti has no real place in science, or at best it should but I've rarely if ever seen it.

This piqued my interest. I agree with your post in large part about INTJ's dominating the science fields and being the most cut out for it, but I'd also like to understand why you think Ti has no place in science. What about Ti makes it not suitable to science? And also, if it's not suitable to science, what fields do you think it is more suitable for?

I have my own personal answer for these questions already, but I'm interested to hear your opinion, since you have experience in the field.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hilo: In my field (physics), the main type by far is ISTJ/ESTJ, followed by ISTP, INTJ, ENTJ, and INTP.

Thanks for starting this incredibly interesting post! How do you know that these are the types most frequently found in your field? A study? Experience?

And really -- INFJs are often in the sciences? That is what this INFJ wants to do -- research, but behind a computer screen using data and not in a lab. Once I got out of the lab, I thought I really did not want to do research at all... but data and market research is swinging me back around the other way. I keep saying "I bet I will end up in market research".

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me

Love ya NFs!

As a budding scientist, Te is really being beaten into me, so... :cheese:

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
This piqued my interest. I agree with your post in large part about INTJ's dominating the science fields and being the most cut out for it, but I'd also like to understand why you think Ti has no place in science. What about Ti makes it not suitable to science? And also, if it's not suitable to science, what fields do you think it is more suitable for?

I have my own personal answer for these questions already, but I'm interested to hear your opinion, since you have experience in the field.

I don't agree with the idea of intjs' "dominating" the science fields. As in, found more in science than any other type. But I can see a very strong lean towards the intj mindset characterising modern science.

I am doing an advance science degree, and in one of my subjects (basically a learning to be a scientist class) we had to take a keirsey test.

And i'll quote myself here

We had to physically separate into Kiersey's temperaments and do group work together in our temperament. Anyway, on average... there was a large proportion of guardians (generally 12), then there were the 'artisans' (generally 8), 'idealists' (generally 6) and finally the 'rationals' (generally 4). So that's about 40%, 27%, 20% and 13% for guardians, artisans, idealists and rationals respectively. I realise the kiersey breakdowns are contentious, but there you go.

Obviously, this is only a (shit ass) 'case study' and can't illuminate anything substantial, particularly since it's based only on my word. Along with that there are too many variables... not to mention, we took pathetic tests (as most tests are... although we did have to evaluate our types according to the 'type' description and changed accordingly), and moreover, we were forced to do it for homework, so judging on the after discussion, most people didn't take it seriously (being various science students and all).

I think you might find certain types in certain sciences though. You might find more xnxx in applied science, and more xsxx in base research. You might find more xnfx in psychology, cosmology, environmental science etc. But 'more' in terms of located in a particular science field as opposed to others. Not 'more' as in, more of that type than any other, are found in that field.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Love ya NFs!

Not in my case. I hate science. Too analytical. :doh:

But, someone I know, that I'm almost positive is an INFP works for Lilly. So, I guess it's not impossible.

Most INFP's, even if they don't work in an art field, still consider themselves to be artists "deep down." :)

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Aaaaaand here's an INFJ who works in the art field and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. ;) It's not that I can't do science. I can, and I love it - especially earth science. But I really feel like my calling is the arts, and I couldn't be happier. Besides, I have a way with words, colors, designs, and the pencil (okay, so I definitely need the eraser, ha!) that I feel would be wasted if I did anything else. I think my dad was really upset I didn't end up in science, though.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Not in my case. I hate science. Too analytical. :doh:

But, someone I know, that I'm almost positive is an INFP works for Lilly. So, I guess it's not impossible.

Most INFP's, even if they don't work in an art field, still consider themselves to be artists "deep down." :)

No reason a scientist can't be an artist as well.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
MIT has an event where people working for the university display their art or perform :) Also, music is the most common second major at that school. Yay scientists + artists!

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks for the replies, all very interesting.

I agree that either type can do it. ANY type can do almost any job, of course. I'm talking about likelihood merely because it came up in the context of this person - who I still can't type worth a damn (leaning INFP though, so there are others in hard science out there... )

In my field (physics), the main type by far is ISTJ/ESTJ, followed by ISTP, INTJ, ENTJ, and INTP.

As a Ti-user, I find there is a huge place for it in my work, along with Ne... I use them together to build systems to explain data. The 'P' if it may be considered on it's own, is quite useful in letting me jump out of the box and make connections that others won't because they're tied down to the current paradigms too much. Of course it also makes it hard for me to draw lines in writing up a result.

I think it could depend on the person's personal development as well. For instance, male INFP (similarly situated in some ways as a female INTP) are going to be pushed early and often to develop other functions. Perhaps this gives them the kind of early balance which allows for them to use lesser-preferred functions ?

Scott N Denver - if you don't mind my asking, if you got out of science, what do you think you would do? Would it necessarily be more people-oriented?

My science education is in physics. For the record, 4 yr BS degree, MS, all required coursework for PhD, spent 5 years at grad school and 6.5 yrs in grad school. Primarily attended 2 grad schools [and quasi-attended a 3rd], worked in 2 govt research labs, have friends at and interviewed at 3rd govt lab.

My graduating class from college was 6 people in physics, 5 of us went on to grad school. 80% going to grad school is avg for that program at that school. All people I specifically recall form my year are: 1 INFP [me], 1 ?ESTP?, and the rest INTJ's [at least 3]. It is my assessment that most of my classmates, who may have been 1 yr ahead or 1 yr behind me, were INTJ. The exceedingly vast majority of my peers at both grad schools were, in my assessment, INTJ's. When I looked at the undergrads, most in my assessment, were also INTJ. Second most common: INTP. Excluding technicians, I have only had 2 S coworkers that I know, both ISTP. I've seen a small smattering of ENT's in physics as well. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I'd peg the number of "physics peers" I've had that were INTJ's as 75%. I know of only 3 NF's in all this time: INFP, ENFP, and INFJ. Only the INFJ actually went all the way to PhD.

I've read MBTI about science and engineering students. Engineers actually have a much better balance between N's and S's. Civil is much more full of S's, I think ChemE is more evenly split, and EE and the more theoretical disciplines being more N-dominated. If you only accept people who had physics degrees, I know of only 2 S individuals ever that I've dealt with, ever.

At one of my places we took a MBTI test, and got 2 S's [one without a physics degree], 1 INFP, INTP, several INTJ's, and two people who were IJ but unable to distinguish between F and T. Talking to my old advisor, most of the students at that tech school who took the MBTI came back INT

I think Ti *should* have a place in science. And if you get a INTP prof with a PhD you'll definitely see the Ti. I think of math as the prototypical example of Ti, and yes there is a lot of math in physics. However, IME, most physics peeps are NTJ's, and hence Te users. For almost all physics people I've met, math is nothing more than a crank one turns to calculate something. It seems to me like people have an idea, assert it, and then test something involving it. There idea and its assertion don't follow Ti. The best I've come up with is Ni and then Te execution, or just Te. Te excels at organizing. "what is efficient?" "how can we organize this system?" seem like prototypical examples of applying Te. Theoretical completeness is NOT a common concern of Te.

Again, I think Ti ha s aplace in science, it definitely should ahve a place in science, but most physics peep are Te users, with Ni, and they teach and explain that way. If you try and go Ti on them, IME they get all pissy and annoyed like you are belaboring unimportant points, or wasting their types, or getting stuck in unimportant trivialities. This attitude is particularly expressed when it comes to attitudes towards math and teaching math. Quick and dirty [and poorly-defiined I would add seems to be the SOP of how physics teaches math, if you ask me. I wish it wasn't this way. It really sucks. I remember rereading textbooks 7-8 time or more, and never having it click, and then picking up a math text on the same subject, reading it once, and then understanding all of it almost effortlessly.

I don't agree with the idea of intjs' "dominating" the science fields. As in, found more in science than any other type. But I can see a very strong lean towards the intj mindset characterising modern science.

I am doing an advance science degree, and in one of my subjects (basically a learning to be a scientist class) we had to take a keirsey test.

And i'll quote myself here

I think you might find certain types in certain sciences though. You might find more xnxx in applied science, and more xsxx in base research. You might find more xnfx in psychology, cosmology, environmental science etc. But 'more' in terms of located in a particular science field as opposed to others. Not 'more' as in, more of that type than any other, are found in that field.

I've stated my experience with #'s/% of INTJ's above. Also, you should flip what was said, would be for basic research, and S for applied research.

Other fields may be different. I've seen more ENTJ women in chemistry for example. I';d expecta much better TF balance in biology. But physics, IME, is INT as snot. Especially once you hit grad school, then its INTJ as snot. Throw in an obligatory ENTJ or INTP or two for good measure.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hilo, what year/level of physics are you in?

Intro physics in college is required of engineers, which broadens the spectrum, but get through that so only the physics majors and minors are left, and its much more personality-segregated. If I had any ST physics peers, I'll bet they wanted to teach at the high school level. We had one physics/CompSci double, he seemed INTP. I think we had one INTP 1 or 2 yrs younger than my graduating class, and one INTP in grad school. INTP seemed more prevalent amongst physics profs though. Anyways, don[t discount year/level/program in terms of "personality segregation"

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Hilo, what year/level of physics are you in?

Intro physics in college is required of engineers, which broadens the spectrum, but get through that so only the physics majors and minors are left, and its much more personality-segregated. If I had any ST physics peers, I'll bet they wanted to teach at the high school level. We had one physics/CompSci double, he seemed INTP. I think we had one INTP 1 or 2 yrs younger than my graduating class, and one INTP in grad school. INTP seemed more prevalent amongst physics profs though. Anyways, don[t discount year/level/program in terms of "personality segregation"

About to finish Ph.D.

My feelings for the balance of types are of course totally stemming from the people I have met at my school, so take it with a huge grain of salt :) Now that I reflect on it though, it's the applied physics side (where I have the most friends, because frankly they are more fun) that has most of the ISTJ/ESTJ types. My 'theoretical' hallway certainly has its share of INTP and INTJ, and a smattering of people so quiet that I haven't been able to type them. It's possible some of them are little secret NFs or something else. My boss is an ISTP, and there is definitely an ESTP across the way (we call him the "salesman"... I won't get into what I think of his science).

I find it interesting that many INFP are adept at using Te. It's something I would like to learn to do better.