User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    NF, i know you procrastinate.

my question is:

when you have something you know you need to do and don't really feel like doing it,
    how does pressure put on you from others affect you?

both with deadline and without, if they happen to be different.

Any pressure effects me negatively. So... they think they'll help, but it makes me even more scared and i procrastinate even more.

I heard there are 2 types of motivation: (didnt read about that yet):
    motivation to prevent negative consequences (which is "if you dont start learnign today you'll fail)
    and
    motivation for a goal (if you start studying you might one day finish school )

i am definately second, I just freeze even more in case of the first.

my ISTJ friend got warning from mom that she'll kick her out of her house within 3 months if she doesnt pass tests in college.. It worked for her. To me, I'd be too creeped to study.

Though I work good under pressure, but more physical pressure, like if there is real crisis, but if its mental/psychological pressure I cant function like that.

MBTI
    INFJ

Hmm... I don't really procrastinate. I'm really stuck on the idea of getting it done and then chilling out. Because only then can I really relax. Maybe this is a relatively type independent behavior, but what drives it and how we deal with it is quite type-dependent? Did I just say something super obvious again?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Chloé View Post
    Any pressure effects me negatively. So... they think they'll help, but it makes me even more scared and i procrastinate even more.

motivation to prevent negative consequences (which is "if you dont start learnign today you'll fail)
    and

my ISTJ friend got warning from mom that she'll kick her out of her house within 3 months if she doesnt pass tests in college.. It worked for her. To me, I'd be too creeped to study.

Though I work good under pressure, but more physical pressure, like if there is real crisis, but if its mental/psychological pressure I cant function like that.

I identify with this. I definitely need positive motivation. Negative motivation will just overwhelm me and I will be miserable + become unproductive.

I also do much better in a major crisis, than I do with mental pressure.

I've been working at not procrastinating, and have found that if I pressure myself I will put it off the same as I do for outside pressure. Once I tell myself I have to do it, it takes away my desire (I think) and then I start putting it off. Seems weird, but it's what I do.

If I don't want to do something, and I'm feeling pressured, it always goes much better to take the "just one" approach. I will mentally decide to just pay one bill, or clean one section, or edit one photo, etc. and this seems to relieve the pressure. Many times, I will continue to do more than one thing once I get started, but sometimes I will just bounce around from task to task until I am in a groove. So far it's the ONLY method that semi-works for me.
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by angelhair45 View Post
    If I don't want to do something, and I'm feeling pressured, it always goes much better to take the "just one" approach. I will mentally decide to just pay one bill, or clean one section, or edit one photo, etc. and this seems to relieve the pressure. Many times, I will continue to do more than one thing once I get started, but sometimes I will just bounce around from task to task until I am in a groove. So far it's the ONLY method that semi-works for me.
    this works for me too, but i rarely stick to "one thing only", and I try to do more and more, expand, and I end up doing nothing. One-by-one would work but I cant stick to it.
    I guess that's Si's thingie?!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

this works for me too, but i rarely stick to "one thing only", and I try to do more and more, expand, and I end up doing nothing. One-by-one would work but I cant stick to it.
    I guess that's Si's thingie?!
    I'm not sure. I don't quite understand Si, probably because I have none.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

i am exactly the same way as all of this.

i was curious to see how others responded to the same situation, because my mom (ESFJ) doesn't think it makes any sense that constantly reminding me of stuff (note that i have successfully functioned independently for several years) just makes me not want to do it at all (if there's no deadline) or put it off til the last possible minute (if deadline).

i know she means well, but... :steam:

it may be completely type-independent though.

ps @ red herring, lmao
    I suspect my son is an ESFJ, he's 6 and already he's treating me the way your mom treats you. He just doesn't understand how I can't make a list and feel compelled to complete said list before the day has ended. I can't understand how he can make a list and feel compelled to follow it. (and yes at 6, this is what he does every single day).

So I guess I'm saying it does sound like it's a type dynamic at work.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by mochajava View Post
    Hmm... I don't really procrastinate. I'm really stuck on the idea of getting it done and then chilling out. Because only then can I really relax. Maybe this is a relatively type independent behavior, but what drives it and how we deal with it is quite type-dependent? Did I just say something super obvious again?
    oh, absolutely. i'd say the majority of people i know procrastinate, regardless of type. we just tend to exhibit different ways of doing it. some people escape into books, some into games, some into physical stuff, some by just pretending the task doesn't exist, some by obsessing over it but not doing it, some by doing other less important tasks... hence the "i know you procrastinate" joke. it's like an 8/10 chance. but i was curious about NFs, because i was wondering if the subsequent behavior is type-related. though perhaps that's all across the board too.

and

I identify with this. I definitely need positive motivation. Negative motivation will just overwhelm me and I will be miserable + become unproductive.
    hey i dunno how much psychology you guys have taken/read, but to me that sounds really closely correlated to positive and negative reinforcement... positive reinforcement being a result that makes you want to keep doing (or increase frequency of) a behavior; negative reinforcement being a result that makes you want to keep doing it (or increase frequency of it) to prevent something.

interesting

i think the positive goal makes total sense because it creates a virtuous cycle of positive thought. maybe i'll finish school -> get something done -> feel more likely to finish school -> work seems more and more rewarding -> more likely to get stuff done -> etc.

whereas with negative motivation it's like don't want to do this but if i don't i will fail -> putting self-worth on the line -> nervousness -> don't want to mess up -> work seems harder -> less likely to do it -> feel even worse about not doing it -> even more work to do -> more pressure -> more nervousness -> etc.

yikes! even writing it out stresses me lol.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I suspect my son is an ESFJ, he's 6 and already he's treating me the way your mom treats you. He just doesn't understand how I can't make a list and feel compelled to complete said list before the day has ended. I can't understand how he can make a list and feel compelled to follow it. (and yes at 6, this is what he does every single day).

So I guess I'm saying it does sound like it's a type dynamic at work.
    !

that's so funny!

my mom is a very, very active, busy, happy person. she is infinitely more productive than me. i marvel at it.

MBTI
    INFJ

To follow along the line of thought that AH began of helpful ways to deal with procrastination, have any of you heard of "micromovements"? An author called SARK (Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy) really likes it -- basically you break down the task into the minutetest of pieces. If I need to write a paper, today I'll put my name on the paper. Then I'll commit to reading the prompt. Then I'll write the section headings. Then I'll think about what to write...

Here's a link:
    Insight Answers: What is a micromovement?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by mochajava View Post
    To follow along the line of thought that AH began of helpful ways to deal with procrastination, have any of you heard of "micromovements"? An author called SARK (Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy) really likes it -- basically you break down the task into the minutetest of pieces. If I need to write a paper, today I'll put my name on the paper. Then I'll commit to reading the prompt. Then I'll write the section headings. Then I'll think about what to write...

Here's a link:
    Insight Answers: What is a micromovement?
    I have never heard of it before, but it's essentially what I was describing as my own method of dealing with procrastination. Except, I don't commit to anything. I just do it. Once I commit it's generally over...