User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Money & Materialism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I am kind of hooked on HDTV. But I doubt I'll ever buy a new car.
    I don't think my TV's been turned on in 6months. It's getting kinda dusty. Thats not to say I don't watch TV shows, Theres probably 10 or so shows that I watch, however I can never usually remember when they're actually on nor am I always able to watch it when I do, so I've taken to downloading TV shows and watching them on my PC.

I'd never buy a brand new car, for the longest time most of my cars I bought for $500 or less. My first ever vehicle I bought for $75, ended up selling it for $3000. In April however I paid $20k for a car, and now I'm kinda regretting it.

Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I also see money as a means to security, not to collect things I don't need. I do own a few nice things, but most people in my age/income bracket own a LOT more.
    It's the same for me. Money is security and freedom... besides computer and a few nice things (food most notably), I don't really care for materialism.

But I doubt I'll ever buy a new car.
    It depends - I just bought a new car, but I put off even owning a car for quite a while to do that. To me it all depends on the money you have saved. I can afford the new car now without it impacting on me significantly, so I can enjoy it. I'm not anti-materialism, I just value money itself more than the items it can buy.

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I am very far from a consumer... but I value money to the extreme. I want to make it, and I want to hoard it. When you rely upon yourself, you will be less stressed. The last thing I want is to be in debt. I feel so bad for men that kill themselves because they can't afford to keep their family living the lifestyle they had grown so accustomed to because their spending has caught up with them.. I have known families that were torn apart by this.
    I can understand that. I've always disliked debt. I usually insist on repaying people even if they don't ask for the money back. (Unless it was less than 5-10 cents or so, then I'd probably forget.)

I'll buy things occasionally, but I prefer to save money to feel more secure. I don't want to be hanging by a thread in any sense I can avoid it in. You know what I mean?

To me money and stuff is an elastic band of a sort. I thought a lot more about what I spent when I couldn't afford bus fare, and I hoarded stuff excessively since I wasn't sure I could afford to replace anything. Now - I still have a lot of things. What is ridiculous is that I'll get rid of something and need it anyway later on. I like to comfort shop, but I don't do it often. I love sales because there are very fixed amounts of money I'm willing to spend on myself. If I have enough money to be comfortable I'm a lot more willing to share my good fortune with others - the money itself doesn't matter to me. But if I'm stressed that my finances are strained I'm really careful, while wanting and 'needing' a lot more stuff. That sucks.