User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Do you get "bored" of people easily?

I'm not just talking about romances. It seems like when I first start getting to know someone I'll put a lot of energy into making sure we "click". I brush off their flaws because, after all, everyone has them. After several months of hanging out with them on a pretty regular basis, though, insignificant things about them start to irritate me and I feel like I've pretty much gotten to know everything there is to know about them. Its not that I don't like them as a person anymore, it's just that I'm no longer "enthused" and I expect them to hold up their end of the friendship a lot more.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I do. That's what happened to a lot of people I used to be friends with the last couple of years: I got bored of them and simply stopped talking to them. I guess that's because my friendships never lasted that long when I was little, all of my friends moved away and we never stayed in touch. But I also have a very short attention span, so I guess that causes this too.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Phantonym

No, can't say that I do. People are interesting, so I keep on hoping to find out more because I feel that you can never really know everything about them. The problem I have repeatedly encountered, though, is that in a while I start to feel that people might get bored of me, so I might start avoiding them in order to avoid getting a confirmation about that. That kind of sends a wrong message and things start to go downhill from there.

Banned
    MBTI
    me

^ wow. Get out of my head!! xx

Whenever I get bored, I stop thinking about the person, and I think about the relationship.

I ask- am I bored of the person? or are my feelings just too centered on them as an individual, instead of the relationship (the connection)?

I started thinking about this, because although I really desire to get to know people, I've never been good friends with anyone in my life. When you only know someone for a few months; can you really say you know someone? it takes me 4-5 years to get to a stage of trust and being comfortable with someone enough that it feels effortless around them. Only after 4 years, can I really put all the little pieces of this friend and their life together (as i'm not too open myself, I don't really foster an incredibly open relationship of sharing things about oneself, you know?). Even at the 5 year mark I wouldn't say I knew someone.

Boredom for me, results in a lack of truly experiencing another person on a deeper level. I find, that the more I get to know someone, the less disconnected I am, and the more, strangely enough, they grow on me. Doesn't mean their habits don't piss me off, but fuck, given that I'm so detached from everything and everyone, getting to know someone deeply, is my only grace. And in regards to getting to know someone, 'doing things together' is supremely important. I have good friends, i've rarely done anything with, but we've talked a lot about ourselves... but it doesn't feel enough. Doing activities with someone, is where you see another persons many other facets. When I don't bond in this way, I very easily get bored... of the -relationship- (not necessarily) the person.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I tend to have the opposite problem. Although, I do think that there is a way to idealize a potential friendship/romance that people do and then when the actuality of the interaction sets in, they become disappointed by it. The times I've idealized people, I never got to know them, and have now grown out of that for the most part.

I might find that people don't often feel like discussing ideas I find interesting, but I never feel I have a person figured out. I don't even feel that way about my mom, siblings, lovers, or anyone. If I know someone well for decades, I'll see my conclusions as having a high likelihood of accuracy, but nearly everyone has surprised me at some point. Most everyone is inconsistent and acts at some point in a way that baffles me. While there can be times I feel annoyance, the more prominent reaction for me is just overload. Being around people too much is like having bright lights from all directions, or loud sounds that are all incoherent and intertwining. I really like people, but the myriad perceptual distortions that define every interaction can just be too much. I know I have these distortions myself, but I try to keep a grasp on reason and the actuality of the situation and have a longing for people willing to at least attempt the same.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

i just like people in varying dosages.
    sometimes i'll go on a bender.
    sometimes i'll disappear for a while.
    that's when they usually mistake it
    as me getting bored of them.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by deadgirlrunning View Post
    I'm not just talking about romances. It seems like when I first start getting to know someone I'll put a lot of energy into making sure we "click". I brush off their flaws because, after all, everyone has them. After several months of hanging out with them on a pretty regular basis, though, insignificant things about them start to irritate me and I feel like I've pretty much gotten to know everything there is to know about them. Its not that I don't like them as a person anymore, it's just that I'm no longer "enthused" and I expect them to hold up their end of the friendship a lot more.
    I know what you mean. I am the exact same way.

But, I won't find anything irritating about them. I become friends / fall
    in love with people for who they are, their -original- self, so I won't become
    annoyed by them (at least not to a point where I wish to ignore them).

I can spend four hectic months on graphic design, four hectic months on
    web design (html/css/js/php/mysql), four hectic months on gaming, four
    hectic months on learning the complexity of quantum mechanics, four hectic
    months on learning a new language, four hectic months in school, four hectic
    months at work, four hectic months with someone -- and I will eventually
    grow bored no matter what. But it's natural to me, and there's no escaping it.

What I had to learn was that it is only a temporary phase, as it is
    with all the things I preoccupy myself with. My lust / affinity will always
    come back after a while. The intensity won't come back that quickly though,
    but that will come back too.

I do sometimes, I won't totally stop being their friend because they don't do this all the time, but sometimes I notice people talking wayyy to much about themselves- like all day and all freakin night, they don't aknowledge a thing I say. It's kind of a bummer.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    No, can't say that I do. People are interesting, so I keep on hoping to find out more because I feel that you can never really know everything about them.
    That's my attitude.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i just like people in varying dosages.
    +1

i don't really get bored of people themselves. but i'm not endlessly fascinating with analyzing them, either. what i do get tired of is people who are frequently negative, frequently overbearing, etc. i still like them, but i simply want to be with them less.

what i do get bored with is people always wanting to do the same thing or who won't ever go for anything impulsive. my favorite people are the ones that i can call at 2 am and be like, let's go to boston!

and they say

GOD DAMN IT SKYE. wait a couple days, we'll go this weekend when you don't have an essay test the next day. and don't forget your toothbrush.