User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAGuy View Post
    Though I may be a guy, this particular INFJ does need the occasional unrequested reminder of affection from a partner... it can be the tiniest thing (from a surprise long hug on up) so long as it comes out of the blue without having been sought after. INFJs are inextricably tied to authenticity, and whenever we have to SEEK OUT attention, we come away afraid that we would not have gotten any otherwise, and that the attention we got was simply toleration wearing a smile.
    Wow, good info. . I shall send her some flowers to surprise her

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think above all focus on sincerity. If you do things with goals and expectations (if I do x, y will result) she will feel stressed and pressured to produce y, even if she doesn't want to. However, if you act sincerely polite to her sister, listen to her, and try to make the relationship between you and her smooth for your girlfriend's sake, your girlfriend will definitely pick up on it an appreciate it.

For me, the less explicitly said, the better. If you told me "I took the three of us out to lunch so that you'd know I was trying to get along with your sister," I'd take that as an expectation that I had to in turn give something to you. But if you just do nice things for her to show her you think about her and care about her without trying to prompt a verbal reaction from her, she might appreciate the gifts and attention more because they don't have some kind of hidden expectation attached.

Also sometimes someone telling me how I feel or think, even if it's to show me that they understand me, can be tricky. If they're wrong, it seems like they have some kind of image of me that I don't relate to at all and they don't understand me or how I work. If they're right, it makes me feel exposed and vulnerable, but sometimes deeply touched. So be careful about that.

Maybe this is too cautious, but I'd frame my guesses in the form of a question and then ask her to confirm it, like: "Is it because of x?" "Do you feel y about it?" If you're right, it gives her the opportunity to elaborate, but if you're wrong LISTEN to her explanation/clarification why (even if you disagree). Don't ever just tell her how she feels or why she feels it, even if that's how you're framing your guess, because she's the only one who can really know that and if you don't listen to her she'll think you don't care about her or knowing the "real" her that she doesn't show everyone.

Surprise gifts with no strings attached are very nice, so is doing nice things for her and her family, since oftentimes family (moreso if they're close) can be an extension of the inner self for the infj. One of her big concerns is how you're going to mesh with that, so the more you show that you're aware of that/have care about that the better in my opinion.

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAGuy View Post
    Though I may be a guy, this particular INFJ does need the occasional unrequested reminder of affection from a partner... it can be the tiniest thing (from a surprise long hug on up) so long as it comes out of the blue without having been sought after. INFJs are inextricably tied to authenticity, and whenever we have to SEEK OUT attention, we come away afraid that we would not have gotten any otherwise, and that the attention we got was simply toleration wearing a smile.
    Quite true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Be careful with the arguing -- don't get wrapped up in an argument that you start getting aggressive about just because your adrenaline is up. Also be careful with the criticizing. Don't nitpick. INFJ really does not like to argue and takes it more seriously than entp does.
    Agree

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cless986
    But I don't want to lose her... I try to be myself, and I enjoy making her laugh,
    but we have many disagreements, any tips for me? to make our relationship last? maybe to marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by cless986 View Post
    I don't know if she is smothering me or constricted by her, but she has asked the exact question. "Do you feel I am forcing you to change? And I replied: I dont know...., yeah, I use that phrase a lot now, I dont know, I dont know, because, I dont want to say something she may not like, I know that I shouldnt be that clingy, but dont know what to do... I really lover her....
    Quote Originally Posted by cless986
    Well... Her favorite phrase is "you dont understand what I am saying to you" i dont understand what she is means with that :S. I mean, she says that phrase when I try to explain to her the way she thinks or the reasons of why she does something... I know is wrong to overanalize her... But I thought she will like someone who understands her... I dont know what to do... I am doing well behaving like her psychologist? Or what do you recommend me to do?? If i figure her true feelings... What I do then?
    Oh my. I'm glad you really like this girl and want to make it work, but I do get the feeling you're getting lost in the feelings of all of it, and are idealizing her (not that I haven't been guilty of this too)... most notably evident in the OP, when you actually cite marriage.

Also, in the second quote above, I'm not certain whether you're *really* listening to her without projecting your own ideas into how she operates. It just seems strange that you're 'trying to explain to her the way she thinks' - how exactly is that possible? You can explain how she comes across to you, but if she's actually telling you you're not understanding what she's saying, then it seems you're not listening as well as you could.

Finally... what's coming across to me from all of your posts is your trying to bend over backwards to please her, and to make her like you. Your wanting to know the 'right' way to do things, the right role to play/person to be so as to be appealing to her. I have to be honest, this sort of thing really turns me off, personally... feeling like the other person is trying to change their natural self in some way to appease me. It just seems...inauthentic. Now granted, there is a certain level of meeting each other halfway in any healthy relationship... working at differences and bridging those communication gaps so as to meet both peoples' needs, but ... I dunno. If you can't feel comfortable being yourself around her, and are trying to 'play psychologist' or whatnot, she might feel like you're not being the real YOU. And may not trust in the relationship or in her sense of who you are, if 'who you are' right now equates to 'who you think she wants you to be'.

I think that if you two are truly a good match, and you both love each other and care for one another, then you should both be able to be yourselves, naturally, without having to worry so much about whether you're doing or saying the right thing. Just stay true to who you are, continue getting to know her better, slow down a bit, enjoy each other, and work to understand each other better over time.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP

But she DO really want me to change, She says if I feel that she is forcing me, we should end our relationship... Mostly the things she complain about are my recklessness, lack of empathy, etc (common entp issues) so I dont think she wants to change my core personality, just want me to improve and get rid of bad habits... An another question too; do infj likes clingy people? Should I need to stay as the "dominant" partner? So can the relationship works?

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

^I feel for you, as it seems you really like her, without wanting to change her. However, if your infj, after only a month, is citing many things about you that she doesn't care for and that she doesn't really want, or can't accept, out of a you (out of a partner), then I am really not sure you're what she's wanting. It really doesn't seem fair to you, honestly, if she's harping on various things about you that she doesn't really like. Do YOU want to be with someone who views you that way? I agree everyone can improve in some ways and become more well-rounded, but seriously, after only a month.....

I think you should take a step back and assess the relationship as a whole. You're still asking how you should 'Be' in order to be acceptable to her. That doesn't seem like a good recipe for a healthy relationhship. Sorry if that sounds harsh.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ILI

mm... good point. If you are going to change, it should be for YOU, not for her. As smitten as you are now, later on you may come to reset having to be something you aren't designed to, and all just for another person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by cless986 View Post
    But she DO really want me to change, She says if I feel that she is forcing me, we should end our relationship... Mostly the things she complain about are my recklessness, lack of empathy, etc (common entp issues) so I dont think she wants to change my core personality, just want me to improve and get rid of bad habits... An another question too; do infj likes clingy people? Should I need to stay as the "dominant" partner? So can the relationship works?
    I'm going to say from the perspective of an INFJ female who has been "clung to" by a male, that the answer is absolutely NO. It might just be me, but despite how I feel that men and women should have equal roles, I don't like it when a guy is clingy. The concept of being "clingy" is an extreme - It's okay to be sensitive and develop your Feeling side more (and it sounds like you should), but don't become overly dependent. You're a guy, man, you should act like one, right? Personally, I like guys who are independent, but who can put that aside every once in a while to care about you. Don't rely on your INFJ girlfriend's affection (because it is probably far-between, and if you do, you will probably not get what you think you need).
    NaNoWriMo 2010 [[Nahe: Iveor]]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, actually is 2 months now , I try not to be clingy, for example, not always answering her or make fun of her, etc, I know that you need to be the "man" and be the dominant one, to make her attracted to me... I know that... But everyday is harder to control myself, thinking and obssesing too much about her... This is the thing that ruins the relationship? Right?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

how old are you and how old is she if not a secret?