• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] INFP conflict between Fi and Ne?

deadgirlrunning

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know if I'm the only INFP with this problem, but there is this constant inner turmoil in me that completely erupts when I am faced with important decisions. The problem seems to stem from the fact that my Ne is stifled by my Fi.

Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.[17] With Fi as their dominant function, INFPs live primarily in a rich inner world of emotion.

Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using “what if” questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action.[19] INFPs engage the outside world primarily with intuition. They are adept at seeing the big picture, sensing patterns and the flow of existence from the past toward the future.[18]

My Fi causes me to be too self-absorbed and stuck in the past. My Ne wants to take drastic action and help remedy my depression, but has no outlet. Yes this is all very theoretical and vague. Any suggestions?

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Totally have the same problem. I usually abandon my Fi ship to jump into the fabulous Ne ocean, all the time. Each time my Fi gets hurt, I just do more crazy Ne shit. Can't help you. Aside from caring about orphans, I'm not in-tuned of my Fi or really like it. :run: But the more I use Ne and 'explore and experiment', I learn and feel so much more. I haven't regretted anything that I have done although my Fi does get bruised from my careless actions.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know if I'm the only INFP with this problem, but there is this constant inner turmoil in me that completely erupts when I am faced with important decisions. The problem seems to stem from the fact that my Ne is stifled by my Fi.

Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.[17] With Fi as their dominant function, INFPs live primarily in a rich inner world of emotion.

Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using “what if” questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action.[19] INFPs engage the outside world primarily with intuition. They are adept at seeing the big picture, sensing patterns and the flow of existence from the past toward the future.[18]

My Fi causes me to be too self-absorbed and stuck in the past. My Ne wants to take drastic action and help remedy my depression, but has no outlet. Yes this is all very theoretical and vague. Any suggestions?

For me, Fi is asserting a value, and Ne is giving it physical/tangible/detectable expression in the outer world. So they work, well, together

Are you citing yourself, or something, with your [17] [18] [19]??? Is this like a term paper in college or something??

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

The shadow is the complementary party.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know if I'm the only INFP with this problem, but there is this constant inner turmoil in me that completely erupts when I am faced with important decisions.
I didn't care to read the rest because I can't understand the concept behind Fi Fe Ni Ne Ti Te Si Se in such context.

However, I can relate to what I've quoted above. Very.

deadgirlrunning

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
For me, Fi is asserting a value, and Ne is giving it physical/tangible/detectable expression in the outer world. So they work, well, together

Are you citing yourself, or something, with your [17] [18] [19]??? Is this like a term paper in college or something??

Lol no. I just found this info on wikipedia! I don't see how Fi and Ne work together. Fi always seems to want to pull me inward and keep me emotionally safe, while Ne feels stifled and longs for new opportunities. People that are close to me seem to notice when my Fi gets out of hand (I am very quiet, "zone off", and rarely smile because I am in deep contemplation.) I am much happier when i pay more attention to Ne., but its usually not that simple.

Chill

MBTI Type
INFP
Totally have the same problem. I usually abandon my Fi ship to jump into the fabulous Ne ocean, all the time. Each time my Fi gets hurt, I just do more crazy Ne shit. Can't help you. Aside from caring about orphans, I'm not in-tuned of my Fi or really like it. :run: But the more I use Ne and 'explore and experiment', I learn and feel so much more. I haven't regretted anything that I have done although my Fi does get bruised from my careless actions.

The bolded is especially true for me. I can sometimes indulge in too much of Fi until it becomes too much to bear that I am forced to find an outlet in Ne, and then I feel better. In fact, I pulled off exactly that just very recently.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lol no. I just found this info on wikipedia! I don't see how Fi and Ne work together. Fi always seems to want to pull me inward and keep me emotionally safe, while Ne feels stifled and longs for new opportunities. People that are close to me seem to notice when my Fi gets out of hand (I am very quiet, "zone off", and rarely smile because I am in deep contemplation.) I am much happier when i pay more attention to Ne., but its usually not that simple.

well, at least for me as Ne - Fi, i feel like Ne is my drive to explore while Fi is my personal haven... they do pull against each other somewhat, but i feel more like they are complementary too. any Xe is naturally going to pull a bit against Xi.

there have been ENFP discussions before where we've discussed how sometimes we can get stuck in a Fi - Si loop, which is pretty much (for me) wanting the past back, getting emo inside because i can't have it, thinking about it more and more, withdrawing more... quite depressing really, since most of my past memories are happy ones, but it's a double-edged sword, because the happier the memory, the more i miss that time period.

anyway the solution for me is to dive into a totally new project, something really exciting and removed from my past, like travelling! where i can do a bunch of planning and anticipating, etc. - just driving somewhere is fun too but not generally enough to pull me out of a funk. in other words, i guess i need to rev up Ne and Te to pull me out of a Fi - Si funk.

perhaps you could benefit from a little more Ne - Te?

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't really understand functions either. (Not mathetmatically OR psychologically speaking... :/ ) But, I can relate with you in the following areas:

I don't know if I'm the only INFP with this problem, but there is this constant inner turmoil in me that completely erupts when I am faced with important decisions.

My Fi causes me to be too self-absorbed and stuck in the past. My Ne wants to take drastic action and help remedy my depression, but has no outlet. Yes this is all very theoretical and vague.

I understand that. ^ When I'm in a stressful situation, I tend to be completely selfish and not really give a crap about what happens to someone else. I don't react to stress well. I have no way of channeling it in a healthy way. If I write an extremely depressing poem (which I have in the past.) My parents worry that I'm going to kill myself, when really all I needed to do was vent.

...If that's where you're getting at at all.

KDude

It's not Fi that wants to pull you inward per se, but Fi and Si.. Si would be the need for security/familiarity/safety. Same goes for ISFPs, but.. Fi and Ni (which is angsty in a different way). I think there's an potential element of suspicion to both behaviors, if Ne or Se takes a backseat too much.