User Tag List

First 12

Thread: INFP avoidant?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Oh, tis a shame I'm not an INFP! To just walk away.....

I end up remaining longer with friends sometimes because I don't know how to leave in a polite way, or don't want to leave right in the middle of a conversation (and my friends keep talking which makes it difficult to leave...)
    I dislike leaving, but to me its the lesser of two evils, either I leave, or I get on edge and things go downhill. I've also learned how to change the subject of the conversation to something that will dead end fast so I can leave. Otherwise I wouldn't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowey1210 View Post
    I tend to be pretty avoidant when dealing with people, and I've always wondered if it was just due to my introverted nature or something more.

For example, I often catchup with my friends on saturday nights this is something I make myself do as a means to be 'sociable' and develop my underdeveloped extroversion. However I always find that I have a compulsion to leave early. I'll stay most of the night, however I'll end up getting a taxi home at some ungodly hour just so that I don't have to stay over. My friends don't understand why I have to do this (being mostly extroverts), but I just feel so drained by the end of the night that I have to get out of this situation to avoid partaking in any further conversation.
    I relate to all you've written there. I'm usually the first to leave a party. I always take my car, because I don't like to depend on other people's ride, since I know when I feel the urge to leave it has to be immediate.

I found that for me though, the need to leave immediately is either due to being tired of the socialization (introversion) or because someone said or did something that made me uncomfortable or I said or did something that I regretted. Amazingly, I only realized that a few months ago, after leaving early, yet again, that the reason why I was leaving was because I was uncomfortable with a certain situation. Not sure if that plays any role for you, but you could pay attention in your next exists and see if they were because you were tired or if there was anything else bothering you there.

Edit - Oh.. which seems to be related to your avoidant question. Yes, I think I left early to avoid dealing with the situation. Now that I am aware of that aspect, instead of leaving (or before leaving) I try to solve the problem first.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    I relate to all you've written there. I'm usually the first to leave a party. I always take my car, because I don't like to depend on other people's ride, since I know when I feel the urge to leave it has to be immediate.
    When I am with others, I tend to feel trapped if I am not driving. I prefer to drive so I can leave when I want without feeling guilty or beholden to other people's agenda.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Yeah, this is pretty normal for INFPs. A lot of it is just introversion. Conflict avoidance is very INFP also. I think that's often a good thing though.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe