• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] I don't *feel* like an INFP

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok, let me explain this. It just seems like I'm not reserved (nearly reserved) enough to be an INFP. If you give me an inch I will blurt out my opinion. Every hour or so I feel the need to go over to another office just to see what's going on. I have the attention span of a house fly. Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to meet new people. I love talking to them and getting to know them. I love leaving that night and knowing I will never see them again. A moment of intense connection.

The problem is with making friends. It is VERY difficult for me. Lots of people knwo me, have heard things from me they might think are deep or special (but the truth is, I'm just being real) or....unfortunately....oversharing. Lots of people have talked with me, had a drink with me. But regularly, I hang out with no one. I have no one who I would go to if I were in trouble or hurting and I don't think anyone would come to me. It's not that people don't like me, or that I get in fights, or that I don't like people (ok, sometimes I don't) but I never take it deeper (mostly for fear of being pushy or unwanted) and they neve do (which just sort of confirms that fear). So mostly I'm alone. And I wonder if I'm so social when I meet new people because I'm lonely, or because I'm extroverted. And I also wonder if I'd go out more if I didn't have the internet. But I think if I could talk to just one person after another I could talk to people most of the day and love it.

I also talk in 'Me' and 'I' talk a lot. But of course! You can't claim understanding for any experience except your own! I worry that people percieve me as selfcentered and high strung. I have relatively low self-confidence so I wonder if that makes me appear much more introverted than I am.

Any thoughts?

If I am an ENFP as I strongly expect, am I a bad ENFP to not be propperly socially able? I seem equally fixated on being what I *am* as the best self and being what I *ought* to be.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm ENFP and I'm exactly like you!

And I also make efforts to not speak in "Me, I" too much, because some people do think I'm self-centered (see, I again! oehtewoiu! but since you're like that too, i wont make any efforts. xD)

I'm not very good to make very good friends easily too. Okay, I'm exagerating. I suck as much as this than to juggle with Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune. Even there, juggling with those planets seem easier...

But I'm not an introvert, I'm just real shy and low-self confidence too. Weirdly, I appear super outgoing and Jupiter-sized ego. o_O

I know some INFPs, and some of the differences seem to be
- They can write/talk without feeling the need to talk about Saturn of broccolis every 2 words.
- They can focus better. Wich kinds of explains number one. Even if I didnt put any numbers. But you know what I'm talking about! I think...
- They are more like... dreamy teasy measy leasy, while ENFP seems more LOLPUMPKINS
However, maybe this INFP is way more mature than me.
o_O

Yay long post!
:jew:

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Teasy measy leasy? :blink: I've not picked up an entire girl my life >.> They pick me up >.> I live in up-side-down-land.

Chloe

Teasy measy leasy? :blink: I've not picked up an entire girl my life >.> They pick me up >.> I live in up-side-down-land.

sorry but isnt this also linked to confidence a bit? i mean confident introvert will pick up girls... maybe, i think so... or i am seeing it wrong...?

OP: i think you're ENFP

I
- They can focus better. Wich kinds of explains number one. Even if I didnt put any numbers. But you know what I'm talking about! I think...
:jew:

yes, i heard this is most true. Inability to focus is very ENFP. but again, there are ENFP writers, many of them even on forum, it'd be interesting to hear them speak about this.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Coco:
Thanks. Me talk is ok with me. I get what you mean.
You know...
I struggle not to number lists like this:
~
c
That other one:
Oh, wait, I forgot something:
What number am I on now?.....

Chloe: thanks for the input.
Also, I'm a writer. Or rather I was a Writing major at Uni (words are not an issue, finishing a project, any project, is an issue). I would actually have to finish a book/submit an article before I could qualify as a writer. I do have a blog though...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hi brio, i think you are an ENFP too :)

i thought i was an INFP as well initially because i'm not particularly social (though in a slightly different way than you.) and i had the same exact sentiment of not feeling like an INFP.

I know some INFPs, and some of the differences seem to be
- They can write/talk without feeling the need to talk about Saturn of broccolis every 2 words.
- They are more like... dreamy teasy measy leasy, while ENFP seems more LOLPUMPKINS

:rofl1:

yes, i heard this is most true. Inability to focus is very ENFP. but again, there are ENFP writers, many of them even on forum, it'd be interesting to hear them speak about this.

hi thar, published ENFP writer here :D

i do SO MUCH revision, it's not even funny. that helps a lot with the "19 broccoli Neptune paper bag kitten YMCA brackets" train of thought. i almost always revise even my forum posts, because the organization is all over the place.

i have also discovered that i HAVE to have external motivation to make myself tick. like a deadline or another person waiting to read it. i think it's related to my Perceiving function being extraverted and Judging introverted. because i make decisions primarily in my head, i don't always get much done outside of it (even though i'm always learning). fortunately being extraverted and all i have a lot that i want to talk about. hehe

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
So, like, should I officially change my little type thing to ENFP or just leave it as xNFP? Do I have to sign up with a club or something? Do I have to occasionally type in lol-cat-speak?

One of the major critiques I got in writing classes were that my stories/papers didn't go in linear order. It usually confused me. "What you mean linear order? It makes complete sense." :p Point: I agree, revising in neccessary.

Chloe

So, like, should I officially change my little type thing to ENFP or just leave it as xNFP? Do I have to sign up with a club or something? Do I have to occasionally type in lol-cat-speak?

No, you cant leave it as xNFP. Everybody is sentenced to 4 letter prison for life, you have few days to decide. :)

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
If I am an ENFP as I strongly expect, am I a bad ENFP to not be propperly socially able? I seem equally fixated on being what I *am* as the best self and being what I *ought* to be.

By this logic, bad enfp = infp, which is innacurate.

enfp is not the sociable version of the infp. The functional order of enfp's compared to infps', makes a big difference, because ordering of functions = type.

Type is not about what you do, it's about how you exist within the world; how you judge and perceive - and where this is oriented from.

Dominant extroverted intuition, is very different from dominant introverted feeling.

dom Fi
Personality: The Individuation ... - Google Books

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
By this logic, bad enfp = infp, which is innacurate.

enfp is not the sociable version of the infp. The functional order of enfp's compared to infps', makes a big difference, because ordering of functions = type.

Type is not about what you do, it's about how you exist within the world; how you judge and perceive - and where this is oriented from.

Dominant extroverted intuition, is very different from dominant introverted feeling.

dom Fi
Personality: The Individuation ... - Google Books

Thank you for the input.
No, by my logic (which isn't sound on many days so I won't try to claim that) a bad ENFP can *test* as an INFP. But I am under the impression that INFPs are not social and are more restrained, not that they're socially inept. I'm assuming that an INFP might question themselves because it's in his/her nature, not because say they came from an abusive parent.

I'm still reading the link...

Echoes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Since everything you've mentioned in that post occurs in the outside world, ie you haven't really put much importance on the things which go on inside your head, ENFP

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Wow. I think I almost understood that without much effort...
...which scares me. :yes:

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol. :D Yet? You plan to?

O

Oberon

I'll have to clear it with Mrs. Oberon, of course. I won't be holding my breath.

...dangit... :D

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno, man, disorganisation in writing isn't ENFP trait. My tutors at uni used to say I would get significantly higher marks if I could write a coherent sentence, and stopped drawing pictures (I call them diagrams) all over my exam papers. I would have have thought that the fault of Ne, however, I do have amazing powers of concentration admittedly, and I do believe I have settled down with age.