User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Different type results based on mood?

I've tested INFJ always. I strongly identify with the type. I decided to take the test on personalitypage.com (since I admired the little graphs everyone had in their signatures). I took it based on what I would do on a "bad" day (not talking to people, feeling tired, pessimistic, sad, haunted by the past) vs. a "good" (still introverted, but outgoing, more willing to try new things, higher energy).

Here's the funny thing -- my good day test result was INFJ and my bad day resulted in INFP. Not saying there is anything remotely wrong with INFP. At first I thought this might relate to the shadow, but INFP doesn't really embody that. Plus, I'm much too technical to be an INFP (I think - I don't have a good understanding of this type). But I am more likely to write/be creative/be verbally awkward in my "down" days. And programming code is much harder to wade through on "bad" days (though that could just be my tiredness). But it's like my inhibitions wane and writing becomes much easier.

Has anyone else had this type-switching experience? Or is there an older thread about this? Or could it be that we function just function very differently at different times? So many of the test questions are dependent on behaviors that are not consistent -- what do you all think of that?

Thank you all!

Glycerine

yes. My results have been all over the place.

MBTI
    INFJ

Is that why your type is blank? What type results have you gotten? And, when you read the descriptions, are there any you particularly identify with?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    yes. My results have been all over the place.
    Me too, I've gotten really interested in some of Eric Fromm's writing about social character too because of the impact that training or adopting a "work mind" or "leisure mind" or some other context can have on it.

Some of the standard questions make me think "what is the context?" like is it an ideal social gathering or one full of people who'll be morons?

MBTI
    INFJ

I agree. Context is huge. For example, are you at work? Or is this a day off? Maybe you're incredibly structured at work, and very spontaneous on your days off. Is that an unlikely scenario, do you think?

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by mochajava View Post
    Is that why your type is blank? What type results have you gotten? And, when you read the descriptions, are there any you particularly identify with?
    No, I just don't like putting it in there because my type tends to get a bad rap. If you must know, I am an ENFJ. . I have gotten ISFJ, ESTJ, ISXP, INFP, ESTP (I think?). I relate to ENFJ bestfittype the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Me too, I've gotten really interested in some of Eric Fromm's writing about social character too because of the impact that training or adopting a "work mind" or "leisure mind" or some other context can have on it.

Some of the standard questions make me think "what is the context?" like is it an ideal social gathering or one full of people who'll be morons?
    haha, that's cool. You're right, I also think the context is very important.

I agree. Context is huge. For example, are you at work? Or is this a day off? Maybe you're incredibly structured at work, and very spontaneous on your days off. Is that an unlikely scenario, do you think?
    Yeah, well, I settled on the ENTJ type because:-

- I know that, with a few reasonable provisos I am socially orientated and desirous of good company and conversation rather than, for instance, meditating or writing, I forum rather than blog for instance, so that's a good definition of Extraversion.
    - I've tried to develop Introverting traits and it doesnt come naturally.
    - Not sure about iNtuition but I know I'm not a Sensor.
    - TJ, I'm really TJ and they are closely linked, I think about matters I must make judgements in and I'm judgemental as a consequence too.

However, if I where to provide a lot of answers in accordance with my training as a social worker or learning in psychodynamics I'll empathise the empathetic dimension (I can resemble empaths, like the police guy in Manhunter but I've consciously developed that, its something I can deliberately deploy but it doesnt control me) then I can get F rather than T, sometimes P rather than J.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    haha, that's cool. You're right, I also think the context is very important.
    Do you ever wonder if the I or E results could be radically different if the social interaction is say a job interview rather than relaxed gathering of friends.

MBTI
    INFJ

I always thought of I and E more as what energizes vs. drains you ("would you rather be with people in your spare time, or by yourself?") and less your behavior in a particular context?

In response to Lark -- I wonder if it's easier to type earlier in life, before you've learned and changed.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you ever wonder if the I or E results could be radically different if the social interaction is say a job interview rather than relaxed gathering of friends.
    Yes. it can also be different because you don't care for people that you are around or you just don't know what to add to the conversation. People have adamantly told me that I am an introvert because I seem rather disengaged from others and I'm just like "whatever, I might just be choosing not to engage with you".

I always thought of I and E more as what energizes vs. drains you ("would you rather be with people in your spare time, or by yourself?") and less your behavior in a particular context?
    You're absolutely right. I was commenting more on how you could be perceived in particular contexts rather than the I/E particularly changing. In certain contexts, people would type me as an IXXJ and in other contexts, people would type me as an EXXJ, but overall, i know that my motives and preferences are of an ENFJ.