User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Overactive Fe.

ReflecTcelfeR

Default Overactive Fe.

I decided to put this in here as NF's (J's in particular) lead with this function and so it is something they have honed. I was wondering how you reigned and focused this function?

MBTI
    INFJ

Reigned and focused - I think the idea is not to "reign" it, but just to stand back and watch it. This healthy "standing back" is one of the biggest things that MBTI has helped me with -- to realize Fe is a part of me, it's not a flaw, it's just a trait that's there for whatever reason personalities develop the way they do. I do have some past experiences that necessitated Fe for survival, so perhaps it's particularly acute. But I just need to watch it and anticipate that it will be BIG. Then I can say, 'okay, this is Fe. I can talk to someone and get a reality check and keep listening to the Fe.' but I don't have to be reigned by it, nor do I have to reign it in. It's like we have mutually friends - does that make sense?

Example: I'm going to TA in a relatively challenging (potentially hostile) situation next year. On one hand this appeals to my natural mentoring borne of INFJ, on the other hand, if things are going badly that Fe might not serve me and taking things personally might ensue. I've enlisted people to help me with that already. Does that make any sense?

ReflecTcelfeR

Treat it like it's a seperate entity? A guiding hand? I suppose what I mean more specifically is the fact that it seems I pay too much attention to what I do and what I say in order not to offend someone (in order to be liked), though last night I offended someone because I didn't, but it just seems that it's (my need to please) a muzzle around my mouth that hinders all speech whatsoever. I suppose it's the enneagram 9 in me, but it seems that my Fe is on overdrive trying to please everyone, but my two main functions don't work correctly if Fe is blocking everything that I create. I suppose building a value system would help with my issue, wouldn't it? Even a minor value system would give me ground to decide what I can and can't say, but creating one that once again hinders all my ideas seems difficult. I don't really know how reconcile with my conscience. I have two influential, or rather elder Fe's in my life. An Isfj and an esfj... they don't use their functions in a very healthy fashion. I have too much of a conscience. This could also be attributed to a slight depression I'm in.

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

What do you mean by reigning and focusing? Like it's a negative force that has to be controlled?

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    What do you mean by reigning and focusing? Like it's a negative force that has to be controlled?
    It is by no means a negative force, until it needs to be contained, but that applies in general to every function. I do wish to control it though.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    I decided to put this in here as NF's (J's in particular) lead with this function and so it is something they have honed. I was wondering how you reigned and focused this function?
    Interesting. Reflect, I use what I perceive to be Ti to reign in and focus Fe. If you want to speak outside of MBTI, I do a lot of analysis and rational thinking to put my initial reactions and judgments into productive use.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Interesting. Reflect, I use what I perceive to be Ti to reign in and focus Fe. If you want to speak outside of MBTI, I do a lot of analysis and rational thinking to put my initial reactions and judgments into productive use.
    Hmmmm, do you find yourself over-analyzing your feelings a lot?

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Hmmmm, do you find yourself over-analyzing your feelings a lot?
    yes... in many ways its a positive but in other ways not so great. To be completely honest if I let myself react freely without thinking about it a little, I would get offended at every little thing that didn't fit in line with how I initially view things and take any little critique as a personal attack. However, it can be a good thing to just react to feelings sometimes because many times feelings can be indicative of being slighted/cheated/being in danger, etc.

If you really need to say something, just say it and don't worry about the other person. Some things need to be said even if it might be offensive to someone. Or if you hone in on Fe, you can learn to say pretty much anything diplomatically (saying the whole truth but cater to the person's sensitivities.

ReflecTcelfeR

To be completely honest if I let myself react freely without thinking about it a little, I would get offended at every little thing that didn't fit in line with how I initially view things and take any little critique as a personal attack.
    This! I find this extremely familiar. This would mean that even though I think a lot I'm not thinking correctly. Perhaps the problem isn't my Fe, but my Ti! Thank you so much!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

To be completely honest if I let myself react freely without thinking about it a little, I would get offended at every little thing that didn't fit in line with how I initially view things and take any little critique as a personal attack. However, it can be a good thing to just react to feelings sometimes because many times feelings can be indicative of being slighted/cheated/being in danger, etc.
    So is this something that Fe and Fi actually have in common?