User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default INFJ mistaken as a T?

Has anyone ever felt this way?

I'm often perceived as a thinker, however, the more I introspect the more I think that this perception is simply a result of introversion and uneasiness/anxiousness towards expressing and dealing with my own emotions (although I don't really have a problem dealing with others...who I'm comfortable with). The apparent logical dominance of my cognition is simply a result of my J functioning - I like to think things through and mull over things, make sure I'm doing what is right. After reading numerous descriptions of INFJ's, I've decided that I can really identify with these type the most (not 100% - for example, it would be a stretch to regard myself as a 'warm' person).

Can anyone relate to this? Want to share the complexities of being an INFJ? I feel like I'm really misunderstood.... even I misunderstand myself

ReflecTcelfeR

I think that too many people attribute introversion with intelligence, which is a dangerous assumption, but like everything else there is a reason why such stereotypes exist. I remember reading on a different thread that a positive view of Introverted thinking usually means T, but a more negative view towards introverted thinking would mean it's still there within your main thinking processes, but is not an immediate response to a situation. Thus the difference between INTP and INFJ.

Sniffles

Happens all the time with me.

sensors (Si/Se) think that i am a thinker because i am not a gut-feeling/instinctive/physical one - i obviously live in my head.

feelers (Fi/Fe) think i must be a thinker because i am not one of them. i constantly talk about how things actually are (more in general, not necessarily confronting individuals in the act), which is evil because the truth hurts or scares and stuff and emotional people cant be evil, or something. (hey, i am hurt and scared too, that's why i am interested in such things)

thinkers (Ti/Te) think that i am stupid because i make huge leaps (so it seems to them) or my arguments for a point are not related to the thinking process (i call it vision) that actually made me arrive at my point in the first place - they are more related to some assumption about how my opponent probably thinks, or how normal people think in general.

intuitives usually understand that i am one of them.

(all of those broad generalizations refer to people who have never heard about typology)

N describes me (depending on definition, though). F is really secondary. it was important to my self-image, as it symbolizes/explains/justifies my vulnerability, but it does not really describe my external appearance and with age T is getting more and more equal to F.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

There's an INFJ on this forum who can come across very T at times. I think it's like an Ni/Ti loop you guys get, maybe. I've heard that INFJs are the closest NF to the NTs.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    There's an INFJ on this forum who can come across very T at times.
    I wonder who that could be.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I wonder who that could be.
    Oh there's two of you, heh.

I'm sure you know who the other one is too.

Sniffles

Probably.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by streetlightfancy View Post
    Has anyone ever felt this way?

I'm often perceived as a thinker, however, the more I introspect the more I think that this perception is simply a result of introversion and uneasiness/anxiousness towards expressing and dealing with my own emotions (although I don't really have a problem dealing with others...who I'm comfortable with). The apparent logical dominance of my cognition is simply a result of my J functioning - I like to think things through and mull over things, make sure I'm doing what is right. After reading numerous descriptions of INFJ's, I've decided that I can really identify with these type the most (not 100% - for example, it would be a stretch to regard myself as a 'warm' person).

Can anyone relate to this? Want to share the complexities of being an INFJ? I feel like I'm really misunderstood.... even I misunderstand myself
    I would say I am a cold an analytical T until people I give a shit are in the room or vicinity, in which case I bend over backwards to make sure that theyre happy and comfortable and that our relationships are running smoothly.

Soon as they go im back to my cold emotionless self.
    Ground control to Major Tom

Enneagram
    1w2

I'm not an INFJ, nor do I list my type, but I think it's interesting that when people guess my type they usually incorrectly guess that I'm a thinker.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3