User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ

I think it happens a lot, particularly if the preference for judging is quite strong. I suspect it is because, although we value social considerations and values, we are able to cut through a great deal of extraneous information and focus on the key factor in a given situation. INFJs are natural problem solvers, which many people assume is more of a Thinking characteristic. I think that there are probably very few observable differences between an INFJ and an INTJ. I would guess that, if both were given the same problem, they would likely arrive at similar conclusions. I think the difference is entirely in how they arrived at that conclusion, which is often an entirely internal process, and not something that is obvious to observers.

I am willing to bet that the difference between ENFJ and ENTJ is much more observable, because they are more likely to publicly demonstrate the steps that they take to arrive at a given outcome.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i'm guessing it's especially strong in nf types with extremely developed intellectual interests. and infj e5s, bc e5 is mostly associated with intp and intj, so the detachment and focus on developing intellectual mastery over various domains really look like int at first glance.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

This happens to me often. For example, whenever I am advising sensitive men, they will peg me as a thinker type because I prefer to analyze and solve their problems in the most rational way possible. Additionally, as a science major, I tend to get quite intellectual about how the world works. There's usually a scientific explanation for everything. Whenever I am talking with others, I might not come across as super warm and fuzzy, I seem a bit cooler, somewhat distant, hyper analytical even. But when I get to know someone better, I warm up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    infj

Sometimes I think I’d rather people mistake me for a thinker, since I feel like I try to maintain an image of someone who is much less emotionally impacted by things than I actually am. I remember a few months back when two of my male friends (an INFP and ENTJ) were talking about the last time they cried and even though they could both admit when they did, I just couldn’t be that open about it even though I probably find something to cry about once every couple of weeks. I only know a few people who know/care enough about type to assign a T or F to my personality, and one of them actually thought that my F was totally obvious, so maybe I’m more emotionally expressive than I realize. I’ve also been actively working on developing my feeling function so it might be starting to show.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Sometimes my organization is mistaken for T. I'm messy, but sometimes I hyper-organize a certain area of the house, like the shoes or towels and I've had positive comments from other T's about that, like they think I'm one of them. But I think that might be a J thing, really.

violaine

I've been told in the past that I seem INTJ. I think it's an incomplete understanding on the part of other people, though understandable. I am quite changeable and reactive. That is, I go into different modes depending on factors such as what goals I need to accomplish, what kind of pressure I'm under, and the type of person I'm in a relationship with. e.g. If I'm in a relationship with someone who is pretty steady who welcomes and wants my emotional reactions, he'll get them and see me as INFJ. I will feel safe and secure enough to show that part of myself. That is rare and unfortunately, I find it hard to let my guard down otherwise.

In contrast, when I've been in a relationship with someone chaotic and panicked and dramatic, I'll feel insecure and he'll see my reserved, controlled side, which is misinterpreted as INTJ.

I suspect quite a few INFJs are tentative about letting their emotions show through. As much because of a fear of appearing illogical from then on and therefore being misunderstood, as not feeling encouraged that their emotional responses are welcome.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yes, most of the time I come off as a thinker. At work, I'm commonly praised for being rational and analytical. I think that is just because I keep myself in a carefully constructed state of emotional control. I work with the public, and when I'm at work, I have to go into a mode where my emotions are disregarded and kept away from what I have to do. This is usually a more exaggerated state than when I'm relaxed and in good company. Therefore, I come off as less emotional and more rational than my co-workers. However, other thinkers (and introverts) can see right though my guise and usually comment on how laid back and approachable (read: warm?) I am. Usually the introverts know I'm in work mode, while the more blatant extroverts believe I have "come out of my shell".

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    I suspect quite a few INFJs are tentative about letting their emotions show through. As much because of a fear of appearing illogical from then on and therefore being misunderstood, as not feeling encouraged that their emotional responses are welcome.
    Yes, definitely.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost