User Tag List

Thread: Believe in it

MBTI
    Infj
    Enneagram

Default Believe in it

A friend of mine told me that she has backaches and is tense lately. I suggested that she could try some shiatsu sessions (where a therapist presses pressure points on the body to release tension). She had one session. I asked her if she felt a difference and she said "not yet. i wil only believe in shiatsu if it works." i didnt say anything but i was wondering if philosophicaly it can work that way. I would have thought that one first needs to have belief and confidence in something for it to be deeply affective. Any comments?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Striver View Post
    A friend of mine told me that she has backaches and is tense lately. I suggested that she could try some shiatsu sessions (where a therapist presses pressure points on the body to release tension). She had one session. I asked her if she felt a difference and she said "not yet. i wil only believe in shiatsu if it works." i didnt say anything but i was wondering if philosophicaly it can work that way. I would have thought that one first needs to have belief and confidence in something for it to be deeply affective. Any comments?
    My mother does that, she even started a small business, but it is frozen for the moment. She told me she has "converted" skeptics into believers. There are many people doing it, and I don't think they are equally good at it, so your friend might want to try another one if she thinks it is doing no good. It's not cheap either, so, I guess it is best to find something that does work.

I personally find it quite hard to believe it wouldn't work on backaches, though. Any kind of massage should help. But the back might be so stuck that it takes a couple of times before she notices it.