• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Common INFP Issues

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Edited: Removed Type 9 from the quote.

Type 5 INFPs - Some INFPs identify as Type 5s. These may be INFPs who test close to the F/T border. INFP type 5s may tend to:
  • Fall easily into being a detached observer, rather than a participant. While many INFPs have this quality (as it is common for all introverts), it is often more pronounced in type 5 INFPs.
  • Feel torn between engagement and withdrawing. Fi tends to concern itself with people and harmonizing values, while type 5s fear being overwhelmed by others. This can leads to type 5 INFPs feeling particularly torn when trying to begin or maintain relationships with others.
  • Like type 4 INFPs, come across as weird/crazy.
  • Appear to be more even keeled/flatter emotionally than other INFPs. The ability of Fi to regulate emotional state is used here to moderate emotional intensity. May have a hard time dealing with intense emotions when they arise (may attempt to flee into rationalizing and intellectualizing).

I can relate. Much.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
A bit late to the party so lots of good stuff already posted in the first 10 pages that Seymour has succintly summarized in his last post. Anyway, here's my POV brain-dump in raw, unedited form.

The most important thing to know is that it's all about me. Yes, there I've said it. I'm as self-centred a person as anyone can be :tongue: Of course, on the flip side, I expect everyone else to be self-centred too.

In my interactions with the world, it's about my values, my preferences and my moods.

My values are the core. I have values, therefore I am. These values are the basis of my important decisions.

My preferences are how my decisions are reflected to the outer world. They are usually not black or white but lots of gray instead. That along with my moods will cause me to seem wishy-washy, flip-floppish, etc.

Finally, there are my moods. As an introvert, I'm internally powered and Fi is like the Great Red Spot on Jupiter. A storm that is constantly churning and producing energy. How I'm feeling at moment affects how I channel that energy. Most of the time, the energy is used positively but there are times when I just want to shut things down.

Some random thoughts that may or may not have been covered...

- Prefer open-ended discussion to making decisions. When asked for advice, I offer possible solutions. When I state something, it's usually an opinion and not as a logically-backed claim. Disclaimers and smileys abound in written communication.

- I can be social if needed to but if given a choice of attending a function/event/activity I dislike, I'd rather be called anti-social :tongue: It's not that I don't care, but the effort of acting interested and happy far outweighs the social benefits. And really, you don't want to be near a disgruntled/moody INFP in a social setting :)

- I enjoy helping others, but don't like asking for help myself. It just makes me feel inadequate and weak. I prefer to slowly come to my own conclusions about stuff. And asking for help usually means getting solutions that I've already thought of and discarded (as has been mentioned in this thread)

- I hate being told exactly what and how to do things. Offer suggestions and give me time and space to chew through your suggestions and I'll implement them if I feel it's the right thing to do.

- When I'm in a whimsical mood, expect random strange things such as dancing and singing in a public place. Oh, and some of my hobbies and interests may seem strange to you and other 'normal' people :D

- Having no opinion is a legitimate opinion! It may mean I don't care either way or that I'm still processing the issue. Putting pressure on me won't hasten the process any further. If you really want a straight answer, tell me.

- I'm very self-aware of my strengths and weaknesses. Don't be surprised if you don't get any reaction when you point out either. I don't want to sound arrogant in displaying my strengths and I don't want to seem like looking for pity in showing my weaknesses.

- Things that I do well, I do very well and seemingly effortlessly to others. Coupled with my P-ness, I tend to look lazy, lackadasical and unmotivated from the outside but that is only mostly true :D

- Last thing to remember, I have a parachute and I know how to use it. Bailing out in the middle of a discussion/debate is always an option, rudeness be damned!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, for me the disappearing thing becomes less pronounced the closer you are to me and how often I reply when I hide or how much advanced warning (new development) I give can be used as a test for how close I consider you. A non live in SO, for an example, has full access to walk in on a hiding day as long as there isn't too much talking.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
About indecision: what is the best way for INFPs to make huge life decisions? (Any regret-proof way?)

It's something I'm trying to understand, as I never, ever experience regret. I think things through and I accept whatever comes with the decision. I might have made mistakes and bad choices in the past, but they are what make me who I am now, so I never, ever regret any of them. Guilt, yes, a lot, but never regret.

For INFPs, I think it has to do with Ne and seeing endless possibilities and outcomes for each decision you make. It hurts me to see you struggling with regret and beating yourself up over something done or not done in the past. Is there any way I can help? Talking through the options just doesn't seem to work that well.

Also, if you're clearly avoiding making a decision (and instead indulging in fantasy, sweets, video games, etc) and time is pressing, should I give you a little nudge?

I am asking because, referring to the OP's quote about parking tickets, I know if I sort of try to get you to pay the first ticket and sort it out (even when you don't want to and it stresses you out), the problem won't pile up and get worse. I don't want to be intrusive, but there are some things that need to be taken care of right now and not doing it is going to lead to even more problems. What is the best way to go about this?

I do feel like a Te-tyrant when I do this and I don't like it >_>

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
About indecision: what is the best way for INFPs to make huge life decisions? (Any regret-proof way?)

Wait until the last minute so that I have no choice but to make a decision? Seriously though, I don't think there is any best, regret-proof way. I've come to accept that I will never make a perfect decision and will set a hard dateline to do something to avoid the last-minute scramble. Writing down a list of the possibilities and then narrowing down can help. Though I find myself being impulsive at times... when I changed to my new car for example :D

As to how to help an INFP who is stuck in a Fi-Si loop, I usually find a 'virtual' kick in the butt works. My friends/colleagues usually tell me to stop moping and point out all the good things that I have going on. We are usually self-aware enough to know it deep down inside. We just don't trust ourselves at times. When I say point out the positive things, I don't mean invalidate or trivialize the negative parts. Just nudge the Ne so that it's looking at the whole big picture instead of just focusing on the darker parts.

Similarly when you sense an INFP dawdling on making a decision, point out the benefits of making the decision immediately. For example "If you clean your room now, you will have more space to put all the weird stuff you buy!"

Oh, and telling us "I told you so!" is a big no-no. We are more than capable of beating ourselves in the head over our mistakes so we don't need outside help :tongue:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

It's something I'm trying to understand, as I never, ever experience regret. I think things through and I accept whatever comes with the decision. I might have made mistakes and bad choices in the past, but they are what make me who I am now, so I never, ever regret any of them. Guilt, yes, a lot, but never regret.

For INFPs, I think it has to do with Ne and seeing endless possibilities and outcomes for each decision you make. It hurts me to see you struggling with regret and beating yourself up over something done or not done in the past. Is there any way I can help? Talking through the options just doesn't seem to work that well.

Also, if you're clearly avoiding making a decision (and instead indulging in fantasy, sweets, video games, etc) and time is pressing, should I give you a little nudge?

I am asking because, referring to the OP's quote about parking tickets, I know if I sort of try to get you to pay the first ticket and sort it out (even when you don't want to and it stresses you out), the problem won't pile up and get worse. I don't want to be intrusive, but there are some things that need to be taken care of right now and not doing it is going to lead to even more problems. What is the best way to go about this?

I do feel like a Te-tyrant when I do this and I don't like it >_>

Regret-proof does not exist, just try not to bother me about the decisions I've made. The parking ticket thing is just laziness if the money is there, not indecision, and I would kick ass to see it dealt with or walk away. Honestly, if parking tickets are a "major decision" then his life is running way too good for him. Come back to me when it's time do decide career paths and 30 - 50 year goal plans and how to make those work with out wondering "what if". Parking tickets? That's straight up bull shit.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Regret-proof does not exist, just try not to bother me about the decisions I've made. The parking ticket thing is just laziness if the money is there, not indecision, and I would kick ass to see it dealt with or walk away. Honestly, if parking tickets are a "major decision" then his life is running way too good for him. Come back to me when it's time do decide career paths and 30 - 50 year goal plans and how to make those work with out wondering "what if". Parking tickets? That's straight up bull shit.

I was just referring to the OP's quoting stringtheory on dealing with parking tickets as an example. My INFP's going through something a lot bigger than that. Career path, getting in debt -- serious, depressing stuff, you know. I really wish it was something like parking tickets...

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was just referring to the OP's quoting stringtheory on dealing with parking tickets as an example. My INFP's going through something a lot bigger than that. Career path, getting in debt -- serious, depressing stuff, you know. I really wish it was something like parking tickets...

Will you stick by him through the joy and the hell of any of the paths he has laid out before him?

EDIT: I've turned mine into a reaction to what ever happens to me. I'm just recently out of work and running the question even harder. Then again I've decided if I'm going to switch it's going to be aerospace, I just used frustration and dice to make that decision. When I start on that path, however, depends on what job I get next, and what sort of possible advancement I can get out of it. I'll need to spend money on education, one way or another, but I'd prefer not to have to move around much if I can.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Will you stick by him through the joy and the hell of any of the paths he has laid out before him?

EDIT: I've turned mine into a reaction to what ever happens to me. I'm just recently out of work and running the question even harder. Then again I've decided if I'm going to switch it's going to be aerospace, I just used frustration and dice to make that decision. When I start on that path, however, depends on what job I get next, and what sort of possible advancement I can get out of it. I'll need to spend money on education, one way or another, but I'd prefer not to have to move around much if I can.

Well, our situation is sort of complicated. He's getting himself into a 100K debt and a 3-year long-distance (at least), and I really, really want to believe that it would work out, but just thinking about it makes me feel sick in the stomach.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'd say think really hard and do lots of research before you borrow. I've been reading things about student loans that make me want to cry.

I'm sorry. I'm a bit shaken up right now because he just dropped his decision on me. I sort of saw it coming, but when it came to it I just couldn't help but be feel very disturbed and terrified. Selfish of me, I know. I feel terrible about myself.

(Sorry, didn't mean to make this a thread about my situation)

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I've got a 30k debt. No house, no car, no education. I've tried to go to school three times, and I backed down every time. In order to learn something, I need to 'feel' it. It is the only way I can push my think-button. That's why I'm better off learning on my own. But you can't get bachelor degree's by teaching yourself!

I know more about Network Administration than my brother, yet he's the one with the degree, and he's the one who can get the job, not me. But that's life.

I'm much better off living it easy anyway.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, our situation is sort of complicated. He's getting himself into a 100K debt and a 3-year long-distance (at least), and I really, really want to believe that it would work out, but just thinking about it makes me feel sick in the stomach.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'd say think really hard and do lots of research before you borrow. I've been reading things about student loans that make me want to cry.

I'm sorry. I'm a bit shaken up right now because he just dropped his decision on me. I sort of saw it coming, but when it came to it I just couldn't help but be feel very disturbed and terrified. Selfish of me, I know. I feel terrible about myself.

(Sorry, didn't mean to make this a thread about my situation)

You're making it sound like he's made the decision and is working on the follow through. Is that correct? In that case that's not much of an example of indecisiveness...

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
While not ignoring the specifics of 21%'s experiences, I was reviewing the available statistics on INFP and careers. For example from page 304 the 1998 MBTI Manual, INFPs (when asked about work satisfaction) are likely to be:

• Less satisfied with work
  • Less satisfied with company
  • Less satisfied with future opportunities
  • Likely to leave
which beats every type and ties INTPs for most work dissatisfactions. (Although, looks like ISFP win for low income, while ENTJS win for high income.) Meanwhile, INFPs' most important work environment characteristics:
  • Independence and achievement
  • Variety of tasks
  • Clear structure
  • Teamwork
  • Loyalty/security
(bold above means liked by over 80% of INFPs) Also, INFPs were in the top four types for valuing "People from different backgrounds."

All of which seems to indicate that it's not unusual for INFPs to have a hard time finding a satisfying job/career. I find that unsurprising since Fi + Ne do not lead to skills that are inherently valued in the workplace. A lot of work is mundane and requires self-discipline and delayed gratification in the face of unpleasantness—not skills that INFPs tend to develop first. Also the idealism inspired by Fi + Ne may not be satisfied with a lot of the mundanity of day to day work life.

So, while I don't think the above is any reason for INFPs to despair about finding a good career, if you are struggling it looks like you are not alone. All you have to do is look at some of younger INFP posting on PersonalityC to verify that.

Meanwhile, I think that sometimes action is better than inaction, and grappling with the actual sometimes beats waiting for the ideal. I'd be interested in hearing what other INFPs think about their struggles with jobs/careers. Clearly jobs/careers can be a big issue for many INFPs.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You're making it sound like he's made the decision and is working on the follow through. Is that correct? In that case that's not much of an example of indecisiveness...
I posted the question before he made the decision. He was in a long, agonizing process of indecision for four months and suddenly said he was going to do it and he didn't want to think about the future and the consequences now. So, yeah, my J-ness is freaking out >_>

I've got a 30k debt. No house, no car, no education. I've tried to go to school three times, and I backed down every time. In order to learn something, I need to 'feel' it. It is the only way I can push my think-button. That's why I'm better off learning on my own. But you can't get bachelor degree's by teaching yourself!

I know more about Network Administration than my brother, yet he's the one with the degree, and he's the one who can get the job, not me. But that's life.

I'm much better off living it easy anyway.
While not ignoring the specifics of 21%'s experiences, I was reviewing the available statistics on INFP and careers. For example from page 304 the 1998 MBTI Manual, INFPs (when asked about work satisfaction) are likely to be:

• Less satisfied with work
  • Less satisfied with company
  • Less satisfied with future opportunities
  • Likely to leave
which beats every type and ties INTPs for most work dissatisfactions. (Although, looks like ISFP win for low income, while ENTJS win for high income.) Meanwhile, INFPs' most important work environment characteristics:
  • Independence and achievement
  • Variety of tasks
  • Clear structure
  • Teamwork
  • Loyalty/security
(bold above means liked by over 80% of INFPs) Also, INFPs were in the top four types for valuing "People from different backgrounds."

All of which seems to indicate that it's not unusual for INFPs to have a hard time finding a satisfying job/career. I find that unsurprising since Fi + Ne do not lead to skills that are inherently valued in the workplace. A lot of work is mundane and requires self-discipline and delayed gratification in the face of unpleasantness—not skills that INFPs tend to develop first. Also the idealism inspired by Fi + Ne may not be satisfied with a lot of the mundanity of day to day work life.

So, while I don't think the above is any reason for INFPs to despair about finding a good career, if you are struggling it looks like you are not alone. All you have to do is look at some of younger INFP posting on PersonalityC to verify that.

Meanwhile, I think that sometimes action is better than inaction, and grappling with the actual sometimes beats waiting for the ideal. I'd be interested in hearing what other INFPs think about their struggles with jobs/careers. Clearly jobs/careers can be a big issue for many INFPs.
It's a horrible world out there :cry:

Seymour, your post is very helpful. However, if seems like it's near to impossible to find such a job. I wonder how important it is for INFPs to be able to find a satisfying career. What if you can't find one? Do you go through a period of disillusionment? Do you think your career defines you? How important it is to be successful in something you want to do?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I posted the question before he made the decision. He was in a long, agonizing process of indecision for four months and suddenly said he was going to do it and he didn't want to think about the future and the consequences now. So, yeah, my J-ness is freaking out >_>

Four months? That's quick, it took me three years of banging my head on a wall till I decided to say fuck it and rolled dice on my top four. How's that for causing Js trouble?

It's a horrible world out there :cry:

Seymour, your post is very helpful. However, if seems like it's near to impossible to find such a job. I wonder how important it is for INFPs to be able to find a satisfying career. What if you can't find one? Do you go through a period of disillusionment? Do you think your career defines you? How important it is to be successful in something you want to do?

Disillusionment, or you look harder at what exists and redefine your boundaries some. I found bar tending quite fun and it covers the top two on Seymour's list pretty well if you look at it. Not all drinks require the same ingredients, you're not always pouring drinks, and you get to see most people enjoying what you've made with in the first minute or two. It's a tempting career, but I only worked at a small town bar, not sure of my confidence at a city club downtown.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I was content working at a grocery store when I was in my "nazi"-work-mode. I was only a substitute, and was called whenever I was needed. But it ended up with me working, not part time, not full time, but 120%-170%, taking on responsibilities that I normally wouldn't. The fear to lead gone, and the desire to lead there. But in there somewhere, girl-problems occured, or perhaps I just burned myself out, and I turned into a demoralized bean bag chair. It's happened more than once. And when it happens all I can do is retract and hide in my apartment from the outside world; Catatonic-mode. No one to help me but myself. And in that period of time it's quite difficult.

The question whether I suffer from Bipolar / Manic Depression / Avoidant Personality Disorder has stepped in over the years.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Four months? That's quick, it took me three years of banging my head on a wall till I decided to say fuck it and rolled dice on my top four. How's that for causing Js trouble?

As long as you don't spend all those three years being negative and angry or totally zoned-out and uncaring and carry around that I'm-so-screwed or the I-couldn't-care-less attitude, then I'm okay with it, actually ;)

Sorry, [/derail]

Do you feel an inner peace amidst the overwhelming chaos that is life? Or is the chaos part of the core?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As long as you don't spend all those three years being negative and angry or totally zoned-out and uncaring and carry around that I'm-so-screwed or the I-couldn't-care-less attitude, then I'm okay with it, actually ;)

Sorry, I'm not immune to those cycles. Try more dragged out and less intense as the time goes on while I basically live in the grey area of slightly miserable.

Do you feel an inner peace amidst the overwhelming chaos that is life? Or is the chaos part of the core?

Take a heavily ADHD kid, take him of his meds for a few days, hop him up on chocolate, then tie him to a chair that's bolted to a concrete floor.