User Tag List

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Common INFP Issues

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lecky View Post
    Wow! Never. Selfish or self-absorbed a few times, it surprises me because I didn't even realize my own behavior at the time. I try to evolve as a person, so I keep myself in check. I am very introspective.

Narcissists have zero empathy and that is something INFPs have plenty of. Maybe too much.
    narcissists have empathy, they're just incredibly self-loathing and self-obsessed to a very high degree. you're thinking of sociopaths/psychopaths (the new label is anti-social personality disorder)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    Do you guys often get told you're narcissists?
    naw. i'm not THAT self-involved. i'm fairly aware of my faults and never believe i'm the Best

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by renaiziphonts View Post
    Hey, I don't know if you'll all get this, but do other INFPs feel like they wear masks? Like they steal personality traits from people around them in order to be accepted?
    I wouldn't say I steal "personality traits" but I do "pretend" a lot in social situations, for example I fake confidence or I play silly a lot, especially around friends, I like to joke around and sometimes make a complete fool out of myself lol, which is really not who I am, I mean I am funny but I'm not a clown, I just tend to wear that "mask" because I just want people to like me tbh lol OR I can be the complete opposite and pretend I'm really tough and cool and I often appear cold to people who don't know me well when in fact I am the most sensitive wimp ever.

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by renaiziphonts View Post
    Narcissism has always been a complicated subject for me. I am well aware of my ability. I have an IQ above 140, and standardize test in atleast the 95% in each subject. Where does being proud of this cross the line with Narcissism?

Well, for me; the statistical advantage has always been clear, and I have always thought that I must preform better than others (in a dangerously competitive way) but I don't do it because I think I am better, I try and prove myself smarter or stronger or more creative than someone because I know that the numbers say I should, and if I'm not then I am wasting my gift.

By definition, self-loathing and narcissism are polar opposites, but here they draw a fine line. I can not be content with being just average because I know I should be better, not because I think I am better.

My friend once told me that the way I think of my progress is as a pitcher full of water. I see my pitcher as larger, and so I must fill it all the way. If I were a narcissist, I;d think it already full.
    Very well said.
    Likes melomania liked this post

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    xxxP

I'm new here and the more I read this thread, the more I want to cry.

Its liberating to discover that I'm not a strange misfit and that there are actually people that feel the way I do.

I just want to thank everyone that took the time to respond to this thread, it has been really revealing!
    Likes lulabelle liked this post

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    IxFP

How common is it for INFPs to have "addictive" personality, if you know what I mean, to keep doing something that makes you feel good, although its irrelevant even detrimental to your goals/purpose? Or is it a very Se thing (ISFP)?
    Likes OrderOfTheCaelifera liked this post

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by bg67 View Post
    How common is it for INFPs to have "addictive" personality, if you know what I mean, to keep doing something that makes you feel good, although its irrelevant even detrimental to your goals/purpose? Or is it a very Se thing (ISFP)?
    My goals are rather abstract and I have so many ideas to choose from how to get there. I mean, I can get inspired about something and spend my time with it just to realize that it wasn't that great path for me and jump into something else. Usually my ideas stay as daydreams like I know that they are just too out there or something. So I guess you can call the inspirations some kind of addictions but I don't think they are necessary irrelevant (at least my point of view!).

But if you mean by addiction something that gives you immediate pleasure but is bad for you in the end (like gambling, buying stuff you cannot afford...) that doesn't sound much like an INFP.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Can you comment on the tendancy to cocoon when you guys need to sort something out of think it over? What are you doing during that process (when to the outside it may look like reading, playing video games, smoking etc)? How do you go about solving the problem at hand? (I've heard some INFPs say that they have to complete tear down the existing stuff and start from scratch) Do you want people to leave you alone, or respectfully check in on you now and again?
    For me, dealing with intense emotions takes a lot mental sorting and processing until I can turn the feelings into coherent statements. But when it looks like we're just reading, or playing video games, or smoking...it's because we are. I have to switch my focus to something else sometimes before I can process my feelings. It's sort of like when you can't figure out the solution to a math problem or you can't figure out how to end a song and you have to just put in down and walk away for a minute. Then you either have an epiphany in the middle of something else or you come back to whatever you're working on and look at it from a fresh perspective.

I think it's also about just taking some time to let some of that emotion leave the situation, because once I'm less emotional, it's easier for me to access some logic and better communicate. But checking in is always good as long as you're not being too invasive. Just being there physically(i.e. hugging, holding, consoling) helps to comfort us after an argument, and it can help alleviate some of that emotional stress because it helps to remind us that whatever happened isn't "the end of the world".

Senior Member Array blahblahbob's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by MadKitten View Post
    I personally believe that i have had a narcissistic personality disorder - and yes, i have been accused of narcissism and cruelty.

To your statement lecky i have to say that both extreme ends are unhealthy narcissism: caring too little and caring too much. For example taking care of other persons emotional needs above yourself and extensively is narcissism, you don't recognize your limit's nor the other persons private area. You see...Like being a therapist to another person and attaching him/her this way to you. INFP know how people feel and that's base for manipulation.
    Narcissism is not that simple term.

I dont know are these issues only common in INFP's, but like you can see above, my biggest problems have been several mental disorders: borderline personality disorder, narcissm, ptsd, depression, anxiety, social anxiety disorder, panic attacks, bipolar and so forth. My head drives me crazy.
    Show me an example of a narcissistic INFP and I'll show you someone mistyped or deliberately slandered for the purposes of political/sociological repression.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nobody View Post
    I tend to hate my own guts every time I flip out at someone... which happens from time to time. (not something I usually see on infp problems). Also have a tendency to start talking about some favorite subject and just go on and on until the other person is not only bored but frustrated... which is followed by the same self-loathing reaction. These are generally two things I have no control over : temper and talking.
    ^^^OMG, this is me. My temper is pretty terrible at times.
    Most of the time, I am placid, half-serious, half-playful. But if someone irks me, I will try to deal with it. And then my annoyance builds and builds until it gushes forth like absolute insanity. I will have a short, very forceful outburst, then follow that up with self-reproach for a day or three.

For some reason I can't think ahead fast enough to let some of the emotion peep out before it is too late.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I've always had trouble understanding simple orders for some reason, and I'd always sit at the back of the classroom otherwise I'd get extremely anxious and won't be able to focus on my work :/

I think that might just be me though, but ah well. Have a lovely day