Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Common INFP Issues

actinomycetes Array raindancing's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I was reading your post and decided to expand on what I said above. So my earlier post is the short version; what follows is the tl;dr version. Apologies in advance for typos and all that.
    Great post! I've been doing something kind of like this for a while, though not anywhere near as organized, and all in my head.
    I think having a child started it; so little time that I had to be more efficient with what I had. It's worked very very well. All these things I've wanted to do but never actually done are now happening. I've actually become incredibly ruthless with my time. Everything must have a purpose toward furthering a priority and be a conscious decision.

Of course this doesn't mean I don't do anything for fun or relaxation. My emotional and spiritual well-being are high on my list of priorities after all. But now I'm much more likely to sit and play the piano than blob out with google.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    That's pretty freaking good. Are there any sample formats of this anywhere?
    Sample format of the Personal Mission Statement in particular?

Actually, there is lots of material on the Internet. The “Mission Statement” is a big part of the business world; and then the self-help community appropriated it and said the individual could use something similar; hence the “Personal Mission Statement.”

Just google “Personal Mission Statement,” and you’ll find lots of material.

Meantime, if you want to read more about the exercise as a whole, check out “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen R. Covey. That book is really about Te-style planning and time management. But to manage your time properly, you have to define yourself and determine your priorities. So in that sense, Te intersects with Fi in places.

Welcome to TypoCentral, by the way!

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    Great post! I've been doing something kind of like this for a while, though not anywhere near as organized, and all in my head.
    I think having a child started it; so little time that I had to be more efficient with what I had. It's worked very very well. All these things I've wanted to do but never actually done are now happening. I've actually become incredibly ruthless with my time. Everything must have a purpose toward furthering a priority and be a conscious decision.

Of course this doesn't mean I don't do anything for fun or relaxation. My emotional and spiritual well-being are high on my list of priorities after all. But now I'm much more likely to sit and play the piano than blob out with google.
    Thanks for your response!

Like you, I had pretty much worked out all this by myself prior to reading Covey's book. I even had it down on paper: I keep my "Personal Mission Statement" as the last page of my daily/weekly to-do list, so that I remember to put a few of my high-priority items into my daily/weekly to-do list.

Also I add a couple twists of my own to prompt me to develop more Fe in my interactions with other people; I use that Fe material as part of my V&A exercises.

But for purposes of my post (above), I stuck close to what Covey described in his book. It's a good intro for anyone who might be new to the concept, and then Covey's book can be mined for more info on the subject if people want that.

defying your expectations Array SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Sample format of the Personal Mission Statement in particular?

Actually, there is lots of material on the Internet. The “Mission Statement” is a big part of the business world; and then the self-help community appropriated it and said the individual could use something similar; hence the “Personal Mission Statement.”

Just google “Personal Mission Statement,” and you’ll find lots of material.

Meantime, if you want to read more about the exercise as a whole, check out “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen R. Covey. That book is really about Te-style planning and time management. But to manage your time properly, you have to define yourself and determine your priorities. So in that sense, Te intersects with Fi in places.

Welcome to TypoCentral, by the way!
    Gratzi! And glad to be here, so far!
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

I find it interesting the issues threads for J-dom NF's is less than half as long as the N-dom NF's.

I wonder if there's something to that? I was thinking maybe it had to do with introversion, but INFJ's have the longest thread. Then I thought maybe it had to do with type commonality, since ENFJ's are quasi-rare, but INFP's are anything but rare around these parts, and their thread is much shorter as well.

Maybe we INFP's have less issues? As an INFP, I almost feel ashamed, I thought dwelling on issues was OUR thing?

failure to thrive Array AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Or maybe it's cuz we are loved more. :queenie:

Did you think of that?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I find it interesting the issues threads for J-dom NF's is less than half as long as the N-dom NF's.

I wonder if there's something to that? I was thinking maybe it had to do with introversion, but INFJ's have the longest thread. Then I thought maybe it had to do with type commonality, since ENFJ's are quasi-rare, but INFP's are anything but rare around these parts, and their thread is much shorter as well.

Maybe we INFP's have less issues? As an INFP, I almost feel ashamed, I thought dwelling on issues was OUR thing?
    I have heaps of issues --I dwell, oh how I dwell. But mostly in my head.
    For personal things, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be discussing them in this format. One on one is more my style. And I really hate generalizing things to apply to a whole group... I have an issue with X, all INFPs have an issue with X.
    Damn you X, you need to die.

So I don't know, maybe because I have an issue bringing up issues all INFPs have this issue? Yeah, that sounds pretty good. QUESTION ANSWERED.
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Or maybe it's cuz we are loved more. :queenie:

Did you think of that?
    Yes, but I was hoping no one would say it.

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    I have heaps of issues --I dwell, oh how I dwell. But mostly in my head.
    For personal things, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be discussing them in this format. One on one is more my style. And I really hate generalizing things to apply to a whole group... I have an issue with X, all INFPs have an issue with X.
    Damn you X, you need to die.

So I don't know, maybe because I have an issue bringing up issues all INFPs have this issue? Yeah, that sounds pretty good. QUESTION ANSWERED.
    This post made me smile.

And amusement aside, I think it hits on the truth. This is going to make you mad RD, but I think the generalization that INFP's don't like to generalize holds water. A lot of them like to qualify their posts with: PERSONALLY, I can only speak for myself, in my experience, etc, etc. So this sort of thread is not as appealing to them perhaps...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

This post made me smile.

And amusement aside, I think it hits on the truth. This is going to make you mad RD, but I think the generalization that INFP's don't like to generalize holds water. A lot of them like to qualify their posts with: PERSONALLY, I can only speak for myself, in my experience, etc, etc. So this sort of thread is not as appealing to them perhaps...
    Nah, it takes a lot more than that to make me mad. And anyway, I kind of meant that in a round about way. I mean, I suspect it could be the case, but really have no idea. What I really like, is creating plenty of loopholes and disclaimers to weasel out of if I decide to change my tune.
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

RDF

[...]

My own reaction to the thread:

1) Mostly the thread is simply out of date. A couple days ago I responded to the only recent question(s) that I could find.

2) Also, much of the thread is about self-definition: Procrastination, idealism, hypersensitivity, lack of practicality, etc. It’s good stuff for the newbies, but it’s not of much interest to me: been there, done that. I prefer responding to specific questions or problems; that’s what gets my Ne going. So I look for active, ongoing threads with a specific issue to be tackled.

[Edit:] Oh yeah, and I put 5 stars on the thread the other day. The INFP thread was the only one of the "stickied" type-specific threads in the NF subforum without any stars. Does that mean we're too humble to give ourselves gold stars? Or did we all just have trouble figuring out where that button is?