Thread: Common INFP Issues

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeZero View Post
    Does any other INFP hate showing up to school, or is at least reluctant to do so? I miss tons of school, and when I'm there I hate it. I once knew an INFP who did the same thing, and I've been wondering if other INFPs do this as well.

I think it's because school does not jive with my Fi and there's nothing there to stimulate my Ti.
    I used to not appear to school every while because of being "ill". I didn't really like going to school, for different reasons (I didn't really feel well at school). In my last school years I stopped with that behaviour though, because I felt in general more well at school at that time.

At university I became very lazy again though, and I don't visit all my courses, which brings me sometimes a bit in trouble as I figure out later.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I found secondary school a struggle.

At university, however, I found things far more interesting. Plus, there were girls there - different girls! My Ne quivered at all the possibilities...
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I was notorious for being absent from school. I actually did very well academically, and because of this, teachers did not call me out on missing a lot of class. They kind of looked the other way, as I still did my work & did it well, aced the tests, and was well-behaved when I did attend.

In middle school especially (ages 11-14), I sometimes faked illness to stay home, but I was also legitimately prone to bad migraines as a teenager. My parents were the kind who'd sign anything I stuck in front of them, so my absences were always excused with parental notes. In HS I did not miss quite as much school, especially in the last two years as I was ahead on credits & left at noon (making it though half a day was less daunting).

The reason I stayed home from school a lot was:
    - The social pressure & energy-drain of interaction. I was very shy, felt awkward & out of place, and I had few friends. Sometimes I just needed to hide away from it all. I'd prefer to stay home with books & music & daydreams. The social part of school was what I hated; I've always liked academics & learning & done well in it.
    - I was bored & arrogant. I figured if I could get straight As just going to school 3 out of 5 days a week, then why should I go everyday? Since I did not want to interact with people & I already knew the stuff we'd be learning, then I knew I'd just be bored & drained by school, and so I'd stay home. I felt justified in it.
    - Lack of structure & laziness. Sometimes I just did not want to get out of bed on time or follow a schedule. I was not good at keeping routine (I'm still not). It was easy for me to just stay home when running late or unprepared for class. I missed the bus a lot too . I'm very mood-oriented & would allow myself to spontaneously change my plans for the day on a whim. I'd literally be listening to a song & decide I did not want to go to class because I felt like staying home & listening to that song instead.

I didn't miss college classes because it was an entirely different environment with different social & academic expectations. I really liked college & never felt like I wanted an excuse to miss class.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

Away with the fairies Array Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Wow I thought I was the only INFP that pulled that sort of stuff. For some reason I imagined others would be more dutiful and diligent than I was.

I was probably one of the laziest academically minded students. I only did my homework about 2/3 of the time in high school. Usually I "left it at home" or "forgot to do it" or would use skillful delay tactics. But because I was generally a good student, teachers always let me off. I don't think I ever got a homework detention, which is odd because my school was strict on it. I pulled a sicky quite a bit too - mostly it was because I just couldn't face going to school. Occasionally there were specific reasons like drama class (ugh ). I was also frequently late, mainly because I couldn't get out of bed in the morning. I behaved myself in class and usually did the work (if the exercises weren't lame and pointless), so in spite of all this I got stuck with the goody good label.

Like others, I was better at university. I liked the structure better and the fact I didn't have to deal with stupid HS social issues. Also I never had classes before 10am and I lived a 5 minute walk from uni - this made getting up in the morning less of an issue.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I stopped doing my Maths homework for a while (because the teacher was terrible with people). I started again when my father threatened to watch over me to ensure I completed everything that was set.
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

is an ambi-turner Array BRMC117's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

I have a hard time being around people, even ones I know and love. In turn I flake out on people, coming up with bullshit excuses as to why I couldn't make it.
    "why didn't you show up at the bar?"
    "I have sweaty boot rash"
    you know dumb shit like that.
    Relationships seemed like a unachievable goal set forth from god. I am still amazed that I had one for 2 years (although we never did have off together so that probably why).
    In a nutshell, people complicate things for me.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ Sometimes I wonder if INFPs have the most complex love/hate relationship with people, and I mean people as a whole, not individuals. It's sort of the nature of Fi to be human/relationship focused & yet entirely contained & resisting being touched by others.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    ^ Sometimes I wonder if INFPs have the most complex love/hate relationship with people, and I mean people as a whole, not individuals. It's sort of the nature of Fi to be human/relationship focused & yet entirely contained & resisting being touched by others.
    I am very much guilty of this - being a sensitive soul who grew up surrounded by a couple of judgemental figures (as much as I love them), I feel like I've retreated very much into myself, and although I love being in relationships, I have a nearly impossible time being completely open once in them. Maybe because my inner feelings aren't always 100% positive, and I loathe hurting people too?

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5

Originally Posted by NegativeZero
    Recurrent feelings of self-failure
    Feeling estranged or helpless when emotionally overwhelmed
    Unaware of when to be assertive and when to be passive; the two functions are often used in inappropriate situations
    Intense desire for meaningful companionship conflicting with our stark introversion: unbearable loneliness results
    Tendency to contemplate rather than act, to project rather than solve esp. when the latter is often a better solution
    Conflict between logic and emotions — a desire to feel less esp. in INFPs with well-developed Ti
    Laziness, irresponsibility, immaturity, indecisiveness
    Paralysis from fear or doubt
    Stagnancy resulting from fear of change or unwillingness to try new things; uncanny timidness
    oh boy, do I relate to this list. My timidity depends on the situation, though, and I wouldn't consider myself immature or irresponsible. I've learned some habits along the way, like just blurting things out regardless of what I think others would think, and being prompt to appointments.

The indecision is the worst part. My career paralysis lasted 8 years or so. I really suffered. Now just trying to figure out 'what creative project to initiate next' is just as painful.

My issue though with having a 'definition' is that we might be lulled into thinking this is 'normal', and thus passive toward change.

Senior Member Array FunnyDigestion's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think I've just finished offending almost every single person I know... I hate offending people, but recently it seems to invariably follow people getting to know me. It's like the moment they see what I am coincides with them losing faith in me.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."