User Tag List

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Common INFP Issues

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Being called 'quiet' and being hurt by it because you feel like they are belittling you...
    <3

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

There is a great deal of debate about whether I'm INFP or INTP. I'm revisiting and replaying the moments I can remember from my life. I thought about starting a thread where people tell the various anecdotes which identify their type, or maybe a blog to describe my own. Of course, that would be a book, probably.

Hypersensitivity - We often interpret negative feedback as a personal attack. In fact, we sometimes project negativity onto factual, neutral statements. This problem extends to critiques of our values, since as Fi-doms we see our values as fundamental parts of ourselves. Our hypersensitivity can cause us to avoid seeking feedback or evaluation out of fear of it being negative.
    I've been told that I'm "too sensitive" on many occasions. I seem to take criticism hard. Since I was emotionally abused, and received no approval as a child, I almost desperately want approval, affirmation, and validation. I want to go out of my way, and go the extra mile to perfectly fulfill certain things. If criticism is received instead, I'm almost mortified.

Tendency to procrastinate - Like other perceiving types, we have a tendency to procrastinate. In our case, an avoidance of conflict tends to be a contributing factor. Our Fi-based idealism combined with our Ne-inspired ability to see possibilities sometimes makes moving from the possible to the actual

I definitely procrastinate. In graduate school, I averaged two weeks late on all my papers. I'd be the first to the library. I'd probably check out the most books on the subject. In fact, I went to the library with a laundry basket because as a graduate student, I could check out 50 books at once! Also, I could even check out journals for three days. Yet, I usually didn't start my paper until the night before it was due. To be candid, I felt better just taking the letter grade reduction for being late. Then I could relax.

[*]Social Disregard and/or Cluelessness - Our lack of Fe and reliance on Fi tends to make us seemingly unaware of societal expectations. Even when we are aware of them, we may see such expectations as an attack on our individual expression and autonomy. Our Fi focus may also cause us to appear quirky or dress inappropriately for a given situation. Also, we may experience unnecessary conflict with Fe-users because we are unaware of the message we are sending by opting out of important rituals and traditions. We tend to be bad at initiating contact with others, which may send a message that we are selfishly disinterested in other people.
    I relieved to hear this one. One of the things that makes me question my NF is that I imagine it means I'm supposed to be socially smooth, and fit in perfectly. However, this paragraph sounds more like me. As Emerson said, "Whomever shall be a man, shall be a nonconformist", and I lived in tune with "my own drummer", as Thoreau would say. That point of view was mine long before I heard of MBTI.

[*]Idealism/Absolutism - While at its best our Fi can lead us towards having worthwhile values and not compromising them, at our worst we tend towards an intolerant, blinkered impracticality. We can tend to dismiss information that doesn't fit with our preconceived ideals and becomes angry when people point out how distorted our internal model of the world may be. This can extend to relationships, causing us to over-idealize those we love, leading to communication problems and/or disappointment.[/LIST]

I can somewhat see myself in this historically, but I don't want to elaborate. Also, my "values" are to not be an absolutist. That is, I try to absolutely not be absolutist. I'm basically intolerant of intolerant people.

Senior Member Array NegativeZero's Avatar
    MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

• Recurrent feelings of self-failure
    • Feeling estranged or helpless when emotionally overwhelmed
    • Unaware of when to be assertive and when to be passive; the two functions are often used in inappropriate situations
    • Intense desire for meaningful companionship conflicting with our stark introversion: unbearable loneliness results
    • Tendency to contemplate rather than act, to project rather than solve esp. when the latter is often a better solution
    • Conflict between logic and emotions — a desire to feel less esp. in INFPs with well-developed Ti
    • Laziness, irresponsibility, immaturity, indecisiveness
    • Paralysis from fear or doubt
    • Stagnancy resulting from fear of change or unwillingness to try new things; uncanny timidness

That is kind of a personal list, but I have a feeling it will easily apply to other INFPs.
    MBTI: INxP
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Multiple Intelligence: Linguistic/verbal, intrapersonal.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeZero View Post
    • Recurrent feelings of self-failure
    • Feeling estranged or helpless when emotionally overwhelmed
    • Unaware of when to be assertive and when to be passive; the two functions are often used in inappropriate situations
    • Intense desire for meaningful companionship conflicting with our stark introversion: unbearable loneliness results
    • Tendency to contemplate rather than act, to project rather than solve esp. when the latter is often a better solution
    • Conflict between logic and emotions — a desire to feel less esp. in INFPs with well-developed Ti
    • Laziness, irresponsibility, immaturity, indecisiveness
    • Paralysis from fear or doubt
    • Stagnancy resulting from fear of change or unwillingness to try new things; uncanny timidness

That is kind of a personal list, but I have a feeling it will easily apply to other INFPs.
    I gaze into the mirror, and the mirror gazes back.

Senior Member Array HighwayChild's Avatar
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    As requested, a thread. We'll see if it does better than the "someone start a thread" thread.

Some common INFP issues include:

1. Hypersensitivity - We often interpret negative feedback as a personal attack. In fact, we sometimes project negativity onto factual, neutral statements. This problem extends to critiques of our values, since as Fi-doms we see our values as fundamental parts of ourselves. Our hypersensitivity can cause us to avoid seeking feedback or evaluation out of fear of it being negative.
    2. Tendency to procrastinate - Like other perceiving types, we have a tendency to procrastinate. In our case, an avoidance of conflict tends to be a contributing factor. Our Fi-based idealism combined with our Ne-inspired ability to see possibilities sometimes makes moving from the possible to the actual demotivating: the reality is always less than we'd like it to be. This can even extend to career paralysis, in which we fear moving forward because no option is perfectly inline with our inner selves and values. Also, attempting something Important™ and failing can trigger our hypersensitivity (see above). We can also tend to wait for internal transformation to provide motivation, even when external action is all that's needed to start the ball rolling.
    3. Social Disregard and/or Cluelessness - Our lack of Fe and reliance on Fi tends to make us seemingly unaware of societal expectations. Even when we are aware of them, we may see such expectations as an attack on our individual expression and autonomy. Our Fi focus may also cause us to appear quirky or dress inappropriately for a given situation. Also, we may experience unnecessary conflict with Fe-users because we are unaware of the message we are sending by opting out of important rituals and traditions. We tend to be bad at initiating contact with others, which may send a message that we are selfishly disinterested in other people.
    4. Idealism/Absolutism - While at its best our Fi can lead us towards having worthwhile values and not compromising them, at our worst we tend towards an intolerant, blinkered impracticality. We can tend to dismiss information that doesn't fit with our preconceived ideals and becomes angry when people point out how distorted our internal model of the world may be. This can extend to relationships, causing us to over-idealize those we love, leading to communication problems and/or disappointment.

And, to include stringstheory's procrastination example:

I'm sure people have other perspectives to add.
    wow this really does hit the nail on the head, including the stringstheory quote.
    As for #3, I can totally relate. Easter is coming and everyone is all "Have a happy Easter" or "what are you doing for Easter" and my thought process is like "Oh yeah, Easter. I probably will play a video game. Maybe I should do something for Easter. Go to church and say hi to zombie Jesus? naaah. What do people do? I remember having to hunt for eggs and getting baskets, but that was a long time ago. My parents want me to come up to my Aunt and Uncle's house and hang out... but why? Is it someone's birthday. Oh wait, Easter, right. Well maybe I'll play a video game and then go up there and show my face so they don't think I'm avoiding them. But I don't want to, I'll see them at Thanksgiving, a real holiday, but... shit.. what do I do.. I'll just go so they don't think I hate them."
    I'm aware that it's a long drawn out thought but it really isn't that long sounding in my head.

Senor Membrane Array
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by HighwayChild View Post
    I'm aware that it's a long drawn out thought but it really isn't that long sounding in my head.
    I know. It's like people wishing me happy birthday when I didn't even realize it was coming up.

As a side note, did you guys realize that this thread is the only one of the NF "common issues" threads that doesn't have the five star rating? I think we should congratulate each other for being so humble all this time!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    As a side note, did you guys realize that this thread is the only one of the NF "common issues" threads that doesn't have the five star rating? I think we should congratulate each other for being so humble all this time!
    Isn't that the problem with modesty? There's never a good time to brag about it!

Senor Membrane Array
    MBTI
    INFP

Exactly! There should be a Celebrate Your Modesty day!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yay for being modest! *pats self on back and wrenches a muscle*...
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default cocooning

I'm going back a way to Fidelia's concept of cocooning. Looking at my current situation: I attended two five-day personal growth workshops (for training purposes), then gave a five-day workshop. It went really well, but that extraversion and intense connection with the participants was also extremely tiring. Then nine days of almost not being present at all. Drifting around, googling things on the internet, making vegetable soup, more vegetable soup, pressure cooker bread, reading On Death and Dying by Kubler-Ross, Psychosynthesis by Roberto Assagioli. Responding to work-related emails. Managing financial related stuff, sufficiently. Listening to my husband talking about what's going on with him. Sleeping.

Trying not to judge myself, because that doesn't help, but hoping that one day I'll re-emerge - I always do, don't I?

Then today, something shifts. I'm still cocooning, but in my inner, something is stirring. Something is focussing, curious. Something creative is going to emerge.

So, what I want to say here, is that this cocooning isn't something negative. It's part of the way we function. What I want to know is how best to work with this, so it doesn't go somewhere negative, but takes me to the next place I need to go.

Does anyone have any experience with how to maximise the benefit of (but not unnecessarily extend) the cocooning times?