123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Default NF Artists/Athletes and Extraverted Sensing

well, i'm a painter and violinist myself, and was recently lurking in the personality cafe forums when, just on a whim, i read the "you know you're an ISFP when..." thread. well, i'll be damned if almost every one of those lines did not fit me.

but, knowing full well that i am very N, it made me stop and wonder. as someone who is very attuned to sensory detail (though not on a broad scale - i have mediocre observational skills at best), i'm wondering how attention to sensory detail plays into personality for NFs. and of course, ENFJ has tertiary extraverted Sensing, but for many of us, Se is wayyy down the list.

for example, does our art end up being different? i suspect so - i suspect generally NFs would desire meaning whereas SPs might be ok with something being captivating/pleasing. i've read that SPs tend to give attention to musical nuances over lyrics, as well.

are there other NF artists/musicians/athletes who feel like their Se is very high and can relate?

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

ISFPs are known as the "intuitive sensors". They normally have very High Ni. usually found right after their Fi and Se .. You could easily be ISFP and still use intuition.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Totally. In a writing thread here, all I did was score S, and I think my art makes me to be a very sensual person.

i am very bad in S stuff, but I am very good in sports, very coordinated and quick.. so i guess i use a lot Se there. But I dont enjoy sports as many Se doms do, i enjoy them way less, i could never be athlete because i cant invest each day in that. Its draining to do it every day.

MBTI
    ENFP

Going off a function test I took earlier I have moderate Se. Is this normal for ENFP? My worst functions are Te and Ti, Se was much better.

I avoided sports growing up. Recently, I found out there's a hidden athlete in me and I can pay attention. I am still not as sharp as others but I feel like my observational skills are even better than they were. I feel it represents the changes in my approach to life.

I noticed from trying to improve my drawings by studying things and observing (fixed staring) my observational skills got better. I woke up one morning and literally saw things differently. This happened again after I started getting interested in sports, I notice all the tiny little things going wrong. I always considered myself to be good at observing but now it seems like it's more tangible.

I'm an artist without an art: I've never been good at anything. Right now, I'm obsessed with sports and make up artistry (that caused me to see human faces differently than before).
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

I think I qualify pretty well for sensortardation in my everyday life with my inf Se. I'm usually oblivious to things in my way, things that cause me discomfort (or rather should be causing me discomfort) etc. It takes very active mental work for me to become acutely aware of my surroundings. I often have to 're-ground' my mind when I'm getting by because I can be accident-prone in my "absent-minded" state (as my all-S family observes :ouch:).

I'm an artist. I'm also a horse-rider and I like outdoorsy activities. In my artwork, I also seem to be drawn to fairly detailed work, esp. portraiture. I lose myself in the activity for hours.

In terms of how my art differs to say my close ISFP friend, I usually take a long time thinking about a work before I start. I have a tendency to lean heavy on the conceptual stuff, but I'm learning to make my works less complex and just enjoy the process and appreciate the aesthetics of it all. My ISFP friend is more free-flowing in her style, experiments first, and has an eye for the overall composition and balance. Me, I'll spend hours perfecting an eyelid or the slight curve of a mouth until I can finally see through the expression. I often ask her advice on things I'm working on because she seems to fill in my blind spots and see things in a way I don't.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I suck at any kind of sports (besides eSport maybe, haha). I don't realize what people wear for clothes; if you ask me what a person I saw one minute ago weared I will not remember. I won't notice when people were cutting their hair, they will look to me "as usual". I cannot describe places with many details although I visit them nearly every day. Sometimes I realize changes at our house like a year after it was changed. I am not interested in sightseeing etc.

I am not really artsy either. I know I liked to write when I was in elementary school (first 4 school years). I then stopped writing but when I had to write at school I did it mostly well. I don't like writing poems or so however. I like writing normal texts, maybe a story when I have to, and I heard I am decent when I have to write a inner monologue or such stuff from the perspective of another (fictional) character. I suck at painting, I don't play any musical instruments.

I guess that doesn't make me a high developed Se user.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Being into sports or music doesn't make someone a sensor.

My INFJ sis plays viola, sax, piano and has played footy, volleyball and squash. Plus me and my NT bro are right into playing music and I'm right into sports as well.

My ISFP sis just has this uncanny natural ability when it comes to being artistic and sporty. For the INFJ it's something she's become good and very proficient at, and enjoys, for the ISFP she couldn't do anything else.
    Last edited by Kasper; 07-27-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't think my Se is that good. I do draw and paint a lot and I am trying to make a career in media, so I would think I am an artist in some way. But I have been drawing for most of my life, so it would be strange if I wasn't quite good at it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    for example, does our art end up being different? i suspect so - i suspect generally NFs would desire meaning whereas SPs might be ok with something being captivating/pleasing. i've read that SPs tend to give attention to musical nuances over lyrics, as well.
    I think the difference is that an SP likes the doing a lot more than me. I sometimes get into that state, but often it is about dreaming up a concept and then doing it. For example, my grandpa is a painter and he seems to be doing "the same" stuff all the time. He does landscapes. It seems like he likes to paint even if there is nothing new in it. I kinda can't as productive as he is since I always need the idea in order to inspire myself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

I suck at sports. Walking a straight line is problematic and if I was to be put in a maze with random objects everywhere, it'd be the end of me. I am only partially joking. I have always always been terrible at sports. I walk into things, trip and it's not like I am always in my head dreaming, I just don't notice it. It doesn't register with me. With art, I am better with vague lines, abstraction and colors. I am terrible with precision and lines.