User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I don't know if I agree with you about good vs bad drugs, AT. I lived on a reserve for several years where most people did drugs to cope with pain and depression and insecurity.

By medicating emotional pain even with weed (and honestly I don't know anyone taking weed that is not taking it for those reasons)
    I just had to point this out, but maybe this is why?

i think I see what you are saying (that the issue is not necessarily the drug, it's WHY it is being used.) and I totally agree, but this is just me merging these two topics so I'm just sort of emotionally going off of what you wrote so

i really don't see why some drugs are "bad" when there are plenty of socially acceptable prescription drugs that have the same or similar effects. I see people using the word "numb" to describe how they feel with marijuana but it's interesting to me since I really find that marijuana does the same thing that my prescription mood stabilizers do. In fact, low doses of both work fantastically. Why one makes you "numb" and the other "stable" i don't understand. Especially since I sort of see mental illness as going both ways sometimes. Is it always something that's necessarily wrong with ME and my mind and my processes, or is it that the outside world that's all fucked up too? If so then well, no wonder it's hard to cope with sometimes!! I really resonated with what 21% posted earlier, it's just the pain of being.

I often feel the way the OP described; an overwhelming Fi. I've had similar experiences to all of the examples given in the OP. The worst for me is advertising, especially when I perceive it as really manipulating me emotionally and it get me to go back to a "place" i only truly experienced as a child. My roommate bought me a bottle of water the other day and the brand name was something like "Smiley Springs" or something like that and all these little smiley faces and children playing in a forest stream. I wasn't in a bad mood or anything, but I felt that to a certain degree I saw what they were trying to do and damnit, it was actually working. It got me very emotional and I didn't even know how to respond to that sort of emotion, and so I simply cried. A lot.

The problem I have is when such strong Fi is paralyzing. And it happens often. A recurring theme of discussion between me and my therapist is how utterly immobilized and defeated I feel knowing that there is literally no alternative to living in a world that, on a grand scale, has such utter disregard for my values and the values of many, many others. I can't just hop onto a ship to another planet where I feel more at home...this is it. My only option is to cope. So what I hold out for is when these same strong emotions are inspiring or energizing..like the ones that make me want to make a career out of assisting others. The way I try to see it is that the pain is just waiting to be focused into energy, constructive or destructive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Psychiatrists are just drug pushers themselves in their own way and do not seek cure of the core problem, rather only to cure the symptoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    That is a strong case against anti-depressants, I think.
    If this thread is going to take this derail, I'm getting out of here. I honestly, scientifically, think the idea that depression could be an adaptation is interesting. But you know what's a strong case FOR antidepressants, for me personally? That I'm not constantly obsessing about killing myself. That I can get out of bed. That I'm not having weepy-ass mood swings every goddamn day. Medication has produced a definite upgrade over EVERYTHING ELSE I'd tried, and I'd tried pretty much everything. On meds, I'm not numb, I'm certainly not devoid of emotion, but I'm on a more even keel. I'm sick of hearing that psych drugs are unequivocally awful in every instance. :steam:

I understand the desire to experience your life "in the raw", AT, because I was/am the same way. Just... look out for yourself. Make the right choice for you, whatever that might be.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by stringstheory View Post
    Why one makes you "numb" and the other "stable" i don't understand.
    Because the other dealer doesn't pay the taxes.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post
    If this thread is going to take this derail, I'm getting out of here. I honestly, scientifically, think the idea that depression could be an adaptation is interesting. But you know what's a strong case FOR antidepressants, for me personally? That I'm not constantly obsessing about killing myself. That I can get out of bed. That I'm not having weepy-ass mood swings every goddamn day. Medication has produced a definite upgrade over EVERYTHING ELSE I'd tried, and I'd tried pretty much everything. On meds, I'm not numb, I'm certainly not devoid of emotion, but I'm on a more even keel. I'm sick of hearing that psych drugs are unequivocally awful in every instance. :steam:
    I do see the point of taking something to not harm yourself or others, and I don't criticize the people on meds, but I do criticize the society not getting enough psychologists out there to take care of the real issue behind that depression. I just will not believe that so many people are born with incurable state of mind that they need to be drugged daily to keep in check. There really must be reasons behind it and they must have a real cure.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post

I understand the desire to experience your life "in the raw", AT, because I was/am the same way. Just... look out for yourself. Make the right choice for you, whatever that might be.
    Good for you!!!

Some people have chemical imbalances and mental issues.

Some people have emotional issues.

2 different cures for 2 different problems.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

If you are a daily weed smoker and you lay off that.. Be prepared for a few things.
    Not daily any more. I "waked and baked" all through my twenties and most of my thirties, but it got to be too much "work" to stay focused as my career path gave me more responsibilities. And I'm very good at what I do. Now it's just a now-and-then treat. Ah, Mother Weed.

The Nightmares. ... They are vivid, intense and very emotional. In my case, rather Intuitive.
    Okay, here's something else I've kept to myself all these years: When I weened myself off of Crystal Meth three years ago, I had recurring dreams about it. In my dreams... I would be going to get it. I would be lighting the pipe. I would see that little puddle of goo forming in the bowl, and that little wisp of devilish vapor forming. I would be cutting a line. But I never actually got to DO the drug. I would always wake up first... frustrated, but happy I was off the stuff. I sincerely think those dreams were part of my healing and recovery. Haven't touched it since.

And just last night, I had a similar dream about Crack. Except this time I was given the chance to do it. Those lovely rox were RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, and I said NO. And I left the trap house, and I promptly woke up, sobbing. God it haunts me, but again, I believe that's part of the healing. Man, that's a hard one to kick, but I'm doing it. It's been a year, this past July 4th. God what an awful night that was, July 4th, 2009. I will NEVER admit what I did that night, but suffice it to say, it woke me up.

Hey you Psych Pros out there: is that meaningful (the dreams)? Documented? Or am I the only one?

Go find a counselor or a Psychologist .. Psychiatrists are just drug pushers themselves in their own way and do not seek cure of the core problem, rather only to cure the symptoms.
    I was at GWU emergency room for a panic attack I couldn't "walk off" last weekend, and they gave me a ten-day supply of Klonopin. I've been off them for a while, but why fight it? They are magic. And they're already gone.

Heck, it took two Attivans and a Valium just to bring me back. The good news is that they did an EKG and checked my lungs, and they said I'm healthy as a horse. Nothin like those Hillbilly/Cherokee genes. I'm lucky that way. Physically tough. :workout: So... NOW is the time to quit smoking cigarettes, right? BEFORE it's too late.

Anyway, I'm gonna see a Psychiatrist they referred me to, to get Klonnies, Chantix (to quit smoking), and maybe even Lexapro (anti-depressant + anti-anxiety in one pill), and THEN I'm gonna ask for a Psychologist. I hate to intrude (like all INFPs), but that's what they are there for, right? And I've learned on this forum that therapists are as turned on by helping people as I am by making video and music with my Mac. Duh. So I'm gonna do it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Dreams come from your subconscious and even research has shown that it is some sort of mental defrag process.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Dreams come from your subconscious and even research has shown that it is some sort of mental defrag process.
    I hope that means what I think it does... that I am recovering from that awful addiction. After all, I did say NO to the rox in my dream, which I NEVER did IRL. At least not yet -- haven't had the chance. Haven't put myself in that predicament.

Anyway, thanks, runvardh. You rock.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Meds do more harm than good, IMO. I've seen people put on meds for things like ADHD and depression and really all it seems to do is make them more depressed. Really sad. Things like depression need to be confronted by talking about what's bothering you and trying to help. But, that's just my opinion.

Abstract Thinker- If Steven Tyler from Aerosmith can drop heroin and never go back to it, then I'm sure with great strength and dedication, you will be able to overcome your addictions as well. We're rooting for you. Keep the faith, man!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by musicnerd93 View Post
    Meds do more harm than good, IMO. I've seen people put on meds for things like ADHD and depression and really all it seems to do is make them more depressed. Really sad. Things like depression need to be confronted by talking about what's bothering you and trying to help. But, that's just my opinion.

Abstract Thinker- If Steven Tyler from Aerosmith can drop heroin and never go back to it, then I'm sure with great strength and dedication, you will be able to overcome your addictions as well. We're rooting for you. Keep the faith, man!
    Nothin but love for ya, my brand new friend. Thanks.