• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Any INFJ ladies with narcissistic mothers?

Immaculate Cloud

MBTI Type
INFJ
@Gloriana,

er I dunno. Try asking the moderators if you can change the title or perhaps create another thread and then have the mods merge the threads?

@mochajava,

give yourself some credit!!! Being born and then growing up in a dysfunctional family IS something uncontrollable. None of us had a say in who our parents are! So, there, I stand by my definition of 'survivor' as someone who has 'super'+'vivere' any tragedy. True, people who've survived 'BIG things' like wars and cancer are totally deserving of our admiration. But, courage is also about the little choices in life, the little 'tragedies' that one overcomes, living well (whatever your definition of that might be) against all odds.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^She should be able to change the title herself.
A mod would have to move it to another forum though (Relationships?)

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I love Alice Miller... I started reading "For Your Own Good", but it was just so saddening.

I haven't read that one yet. I actually avoided the books about narcissistic mothers for quite awhile and a lot of it still is very painful to read. It's that thing where you finally figure out what's been messed up the whole time and you feel amazing relief, but at the same time there is that deep sadness upon accepting the truth. That seems a common thread with DoNMs.

It is really striking to me that part of your healing process has to do with confronting and dealing with her. I just pulled an "INFJ doorslam" on my parents, so it's hard to imagine talking to them -- but for you, talking to your mother, even without her changing is helpful.

I completely understand why you would slam the door. Talking to narcissists really can be an exercise in both futility and going nuts at the same time, I'm sure you know what I mean. I've gone no-contact with a couple of family members on my mother's side (like I said, father was absentee so that side doesn't come into play) but it has sort of been their doing (Meaning, they got mad about something and cut me off expecting me to come crawling with the apology, which won't happen this time).

Talking to my mother can drive me nuts at times because she truly has that skewed, "I'll make it up as I go along so I always come out the innocent one" logic. That seems to go with the territory, doesn't it? I guess over the years I've grown more cemented into what I know to be the truth. I remember neighbors taking care of me as a child, many times I was locked out of the house with my mother nowhere to be found and I'd end up at someone else's place. For years I really thought this was normal and nothing big because my mother acted that way. Then, around 26 or so I realized "No, that is MESSED UP". It's one of those weird things that outsiders can't believe I would ever doubt, they have no idea how good narcissists can be at messing with your head and convincing you that you're just crazy to think something is wrong.

For me, I just needed to tell her my side without letting her invalidate me. It's HARD and most of the time I still feel that instant guilt like I'm doing something wrong but when I get distance, I feel a sense of catharsis having said my peace even if it will never mean anything to her. More and more I'm accepting she is who she is and she will never change, but more and more I'm getting better at not letting her victimize me or convince me I'm screwed up and everything bad is my fault, etc.

I might go no-contact once I'm on my own again, I'm not sure. It will depend on how she acts when I leave (as you know, their tactics change when their 'narcissistic supply' is taken away).

I think it's good you've cut them off, I know that even though we might KNOW they're toxic, they're still our parents and it's excruciating having to do it even if it's for the better in the long run. So I honestly give you a massive pat on the back for doing the right thing for yourself, I know that can be the hardest thing ever for us kids of NPD parents.

It's also very informative to me that your ex-husband and other NPDs blamed/vilified you. My parents did the same thing after I cut them off -- they told ALL our relatives what victims they were, refusing to see their role (and they had just created such an awful, dramatic scene at my wedding

They LOVE vilifying, don't they? I'm not playing innocent, that was one of those learned behaviors I used to perpetrate myself and had to train myself to break out of (Thank you cognitive therapy!). They're amazing at it too. I know I never see it coming and I'm always amazed at the groundwork they lay ahead of time. My ex had a habit of staying very quiet and making sure his friends and family knew very little about our relationship. Not just keeping our choices as a couple private and all that, but he rarely shared ANYTHING like normal people do. So by the end, he was pretty much free to paint me as whatever he wanted to.

You know what blew my mind the most? He would be on the phone with me during the divorce and the new girlfriend would be in the background coughing and stuff. I knew he had me on speaker phone. He'd blatantly LIE to me about something I did, like "How about we talk about that time you punched me?" and I was like "What the hell are you talking about?". Meanwhile, he KNEW the girlfriend would be thinking "He wouldn't confront her directly if it was a lie", you know what I mean? It made me want to scream because he knew damn well that so much of someone's belief depends on perception. That kind of stuff killed me and I just stopped taking his calls. Naturally, he used this to say I was purposely being difficult for no reason, slowing down the divorce because I was bitter, etc. There is no way to win with someone who behaves that way.

It's like it does not matter to them that they KNOW you can see right through their lies, all that matters is that the ones they're trying to rally on their side DON'T know. It's so twisted and sick, but they seem to think nothing of it. That lack of a conscience.

I know I personally tend to give so much detail when it's not even needed because I've always been so desperate to be understood and believed. I am extremely aware of owning up to everything I do and pushing myself to discern the truth in any given situation. Living with narcissists is so psychologically toxic it's unreal. With my mother, if I say "I know I raised my voice and I'm sorry about that", it's as good as admitting whatever exaggerated story she has with "Yes, you were ABUSIVE to me and you SCREAMED at me and you're OUT OF CONTROL" and all that.

So if any of this sounds familiar, you are not alone!! Not by miles. :hug:

Keep me posted on this process; I'd like to figure this one out as well. I'm not "good at making friends" perhaps because I'm not really sure what that looks like? Can you keep me posted -- I think that comparing notes as we go along for this one will be helpful.

Definitely. I'm still learning. I've met a bunch of new people through my current boyfriend and they constantly amaze me. Still, they're so giving and considerate that it honestly throws me. It actually makes me nervous and scared sometimes, which sounds so odd but you might understand why. I've never been used to anyone being kind to me unless they were trying to get something from me, control me, or manipulate me that I find it very hard to 'fit in' with people who aren't like that.

Getting kind of choked up talking about this actually, it's something I want to figure out in the worst way. I really want to break the cycle of toxic relationships and fear that everyone just wants to take a chunk out of me and dump me off the moment I express that I too have needs, wants, dreams, etc. You can probably relate. It's a hard road!

Whatever I figure out, I'll be glad to share! :)

I married into a VERY healthy family, and it's striking the way that everyone is able to express their emotions freely, without fear of recourse. Even as a daughter-in-law, I can too. And it's astonishing. I'm realizing that I'm entitled to be treated with respect, to be in an environment where I feel supported, to believe in myself, and to make mistakes without fear of being lacerated.

This is wonderful and so encouraging. I can almost feel how good that feels just by reading your words. I'm so glad you've found a safe and supportive environment, and that you finally have room to be recognized and appreciated. That's the best outcome any of us children with narcissistic parents could work toward. That gives me much hope!

It really is one of those situations where it's so hard to make the phoenix rise from the ashes but it's never impossible. It has really helped connecting with other children who have grown up this way, especially since I know how painful it can be to share. It helps so much though.

Thank you so much for sharing with me. :hug:

Maybe I should just start a new thread in the psychology or relationship section for all children of narcissistic parents? Maybe refer them to this thread for starters?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Does anyone else find that people find you especially soothing to talk to when they are upset?

I appear to effect some folks like human Valium and I attribute it to trying to keep my mom on an even keel from an early age. I have mixed feelings about that particular super power. I find that I am a good friend, but I have a very difficult time allowing others to befriend me past a certain point. I think I must be afraid of rejection so I don't assert myself and then I feel taken advantage of. I don't really seem to do that with my marriage or my kids, but otherwise, it's seems to be a pattern. I don't like it, but I'm not at a point in my life where I feel I have a lot of energy to address it.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
@Morgan Le Fay : Wait, wait wait, there's a relationships thread? Where? I need a technical tutorial on this website, e.g., what do those little blue and red envelopes mean? Do threads get bolded when there's something new since me last accessing it?

@Immaculate Cloud : Big sigh - you know, you're exactly right. Being an INFJ surviving a dysfunctional family is not a small thing. I often wonder why I didn't fall off of various deep ends (something anchored me - another friend w/ the same story, doing tons of ART w/ a supportive art teacher, endorphins from huge track team workouts... I got these one at a time and am a relatively okay, if sort of down-tempo / down-mood adult).

I like linguistic breakdown: "super" + "vivere". I totally vivere :) Any working your way through ANYTHING small or big, is working your way THROUGH. And that's what's important. Not magnitude. Thanks for calling me on this one.

@Gloriana - Yay! The response has come, so quickly, and it's so well thought out :) Thank you.

I'm with you on this:
I haven't read that one yet. I actually avoided the books about narcissistic mothers for quite awhile and a lot of it still is very painful to read. It's that thing where you finally figure out what's been messed up the whole time and you feel amazing relief, but at the same time there is that deep sadness upon accepting the truth. That seems a common thread with DoNMs.

It's one of those weird things that outsiders can't believe I would ever doubt, they have no idea how good narcissists can be at messing with your head and convincing you that you're just crazy to think something is wrong.

So true. What to do with outsiders? On one hand, their perspective is absolutely vital so you realize what's abuse and what's not. On the other hand, THEY JUST DON'T GET IT. There can be some "why don't you just..." or "why can't you see that?" and the truth is, I just can't.

Another thing - I react a lot to seeing parents/little kids interacting. You can see from how a child is being treated how they will turn out. Are they being constantly ignored (their self-esteem is probably eroding then)? Are their parents pushing ridiculous expectations on them (they will grow up feeling inadequate)? It sounds like I'm reciting platitudes, but I think my Fe goes a little berserk when I see little kids being mistreated by their parents. Or treated as anything other than the fully human beings they are.

For me, I just needed to tell her my side without letting her invalidate me. It's HARD and most of the time I still feel that instant guilt like I'm doing something wrong but when I get distance, I feel a sense of catharsis having said my piece even if it will never mean anything to her. More and more I'm accepting she is who she is and she will never change, but more and more I'm getting better at not letting her victimize me or convince me I'm screwed up and everything bad is my fault, etc.

This makes a lot of sense to me. She can invalidate you without you invalidating you. You are learning to accept yourself even when she's around, so then you can accept yourself even when she's not around. It's like the process involves her in a way. This is SUCH a hard road, but you're not Sisyphus - you're making it to the top! This is really inspiring to me, actually (though I think my path is a little different right now - I'm still hiding under a rock and gaining strength I suppose).

I think it's good you've cut them off, I know that even though we might KNOW they're toxic, they're still our parents and it's excruciating having to do it even if it's for the better in the long run. So I honestly give you a massive pat on the back for doing the right thing for yourself, I know that can be the hardest thing ever for us kids of NPD parents.

I don't know if you find this, but only after cutting them off did I realize everything that was so wrong / hurtful / dysfunctional and how so much of what they did actually was abuse. I really resisted these realizations. I guess I wanted to be part of a happy/healthy family unit so badly I kept giving infinite second chances where they should have long since stopped... very ashamed of this, I'll be honest. I didn't realize all the awful things they were doing to me. I wrote a blogpost that said something positive about my father one time, and my Mom CRIED to me over the phone from 10,000 miles away about how that made her feel invalidated. As an adult, you need to have you shit together more than that. And as a parent? You cannot seek validation from your children (and I was a child so willing to give it, infinitely so, just to seek a love that didn't exist. I'd probably still do it now if I didn't have this 100% silence thing going on. What can I say? I like helping -- but this is unhealthy, I know).

It's like it does not matter to them that they KNOW you can see right through their lies, all that matters is that the ones they're trying to rally on their side DON'T know. It's so twisted and sick, but they seem to think nothing of it. That lack of a conscience.

I just realized that several of my relatives are probably not going to talk to me again after my parents got to them (they have ALWAYS called on my or my husband's b'day, but not this time -- sort of sad to realize, but I suppose these are casualties when you cut NPDs out of your life).

I know I personally tend to give so much detail when it's not even needed because I've always been so desperate to be understood and believed. I am extremely aware of owning up to everything I do and pushing myself to discern the truth in any given situation. Living with narcissists is so psychologically toxic it's unreal. With my mother, if I say "I know I raised my voice and I'm sorry about that", it's as good as admitting whatever exaggerated story she has with "Yes, you were ABUSIVE to me and you SCREAMED at me and you're OUT OF CONTROL" and all that.

So if any of this sounds familiar, you are not alone!! Not by miles.
So true, all of this! And thank you :)

Definitely. I'm still learning. I've met a bunch of new people through my current boyfriend and they constantly amaze me. Still, they're so giving and considerate that it honestly throws me. It actually makes me nervous and scared sometimes, which sounds so odd but you might understand why. I've never been used to anyone being kind to me unless they were trying to get something from me, control me, or manipulate me that I find it very hard to 'fit in' with people who aren't like that.
Yes, I am 100% with you here. I still think it's true that most people want something and can be demanding... particularly when you're giving and not demanding (heloooooooo INFJ!) it just happens.

Getting kind of choked up talking about this actually, it's something I want to figure out in the worst way. I really want to break the cycle of toxic relationships and fear that everyone just wants to take a chunk out of me and dump me off the moment I express that I too have needs, wants, dreams, etc. You can probably relate. It's a hard road!
My anthem for these moments becomes, "I am a rock... I am in iiiiiissslaaand" you know, the Simon and Garfunkel one. It is a hard road, and I think that's why I'm a little bit on retreat right now. My job is mostly with a computer and my personal life revolves around close family and old friends (so many of my female close friends are INFJs... hrm... I think Audre Lourde got it, when she said, "I was not meant to be without you who understand").

Next year, I'll be TA'ing for a group of graduate students starting - so I will be thrust back into the world in a strong, big way.

Thank you so much for sharing with me.

Maybe I should just start a new thread in the psychology or relationship section for all children of narcissistic parents? Maybe refer them to this thread for starters?
I'm so happy you started this thread. Moving it to psychology/narcissistic parents seems like a good idea since this thread is a LOT of you+me talking... but I'm kind of really, really, really benefiting from hearing it from an INFJ.

I have an INTP friend who told me about the whole NPD thing due to her NPD dad, but she is so different in her reactions. She become very defensive of her opinions to the point of being incredibly closed-minded to the point that no room remained for any differing opinions, in her world. She kind of keeps returning to the issue of her Dad, like calling every month, but she can't understand WHY. I want to hit her over the head and say "FEELINGS DRIVE THAT" but she doesn't have feelings on her radar...so - rambling - but is there a way to keep this within NFs? I just think that opening up to more types - STs, NTs - might yield some of the "I just dropped them like a bad habit. Why are you intent on getting to the bottom of it?" And I already have so much of that in my life. Or the, "they're your parents, you have to honor them" etc. etc. (I come from that type of a culture). So I have mixed feelings. Could we have TWO happening in parallel? One here and one there?

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Does anyone else find that people find you especially soothing to talk to when they are upset?

I appear to effect some folks like human Valium and I attribute it to trying to keep my mom on an even keel from an early age. I have mixed feelings about that particular super power. I find that I am a good friend, but I have a very difficult time allowing others to befriend me past a certain point. I think I must be afraid of rejection so I don't assert myself and then I feel taken advantage of. I don't really seem to do that with my marriage or my kids, but otherwise, it's seems to be a pattern. I don't like it, but I'm not at a point in my life where I feel I have a lot of energy to address it.

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

When I was a teenager, I honestly thought my entire purpose in life was to use this 'power' I had to help others and my own problems just did not matter. I'd feel all noble about it, then I'd get so angry, then I'd be a martyr, then I'd feel angry again. Thing was, by me focusing on this as my only worth, I TOLD others this was my only worth. Hence, I have attracted more narcissists.

I really believed it was my only worth. That's what I was conditioned to believe, kind of like Pavlov's dog in a way. Talking about myself, my feelings, what I wanted, what I dreamed about, etc. did not warrant me anything in my immediate family except gazes of impatience or simple ignoring. What got me attention was when I was doing things to please them, when I catered to them. The sense of humor I have now? Forget it, I admit that I wouldn't have it if it hadn't been something which gained me attention and approval in my family. I was the entertainer as well as mediator, therapist, social planner, choice maker, and on and on.

This is one of those things that I've been trying to wrangle in social situations. I have a strong tendency to utterly and completely be in tune with other people, how they are feeling, what they're needing to be comfortable. I can spot someone who needs an ear a mile away and sometimes it's like this insatiable attraction to help them out and give them room to express themselves and be heard. I'm innately wired to feel good helping other people, it feels SOOOOOO GOOOD and it's instant. It's HARD for me to feel good asserting myself. It's EASY to feel good helping others. It's still very much entwined with my self worth.

Just the other day I was driving a friend of my boyfriend's to an appointment because he broke his arm. I'd never met him in person before, but after less than an hour in the car he was talking all about his divorce and how it felt. Then he goes "It's weird, I've never told anybody this stuff, not even my Dad. You're really easy to talk to. Anybody ever tell you that?". Out loud I was like "Yeah, people have said that". In my head I was like "More times than you know!", hahaha.

I don't know how the hell I manage to do that, but it always happens.

Cafe (and everyone): here's a question:

Do you ever take what someone is telling you from their own point of view, then hit it back to them a little differently to show them you know where they're coming from but no matter how carefully you word it they come away believing YOU have the EXACT SAME POV as they do?

Like, I will use qualifiers like "So for YOU it's like _________?" or "So, YOU think of it like __________?". No matter how much I do this, the other person STILL will usually come away like "You get it! You really get it! It's so nice to meet someone who shares my outlook on things for once!".

Then, I'm standing there inside my own head like "Damn it! Damn it! How the EFF did I do this AGAIN? I don't see it that way G******IT!!!", hehehehe.

I have often unwittingly become the drug of choice for people I meet. I can't count on fingers and toes how many times I've made 'friends' who only feel the need to get in touch when they're upset about something and need soothing, or their consciences are eating them alive and they seek absolution through my words, or just to be validated. They won't keep in touch otherwise. I used to resent THEM for this, it's only been in the past five years or so that I've had to examine MY PART in it.

It's tricky as hell to change these things around (<--- Understatement of the year). I'm trying though. Ideally I would like to be able to care for people, help people, be that haven and friend for them while also finding room to receive this in return. I don't expect anyone to be completely able to do what I do in terms of empathy/intuition because I know it's complex, but just simple consideration and support. Like, I don't want people getting 'addicted' to me rather than seeing me as a human being anymore, that sort of stuff.

I am extremely cautious of people. Kind of like what I went into in my post above, I'm very uninitiated in terms of healthy relationships and knowing what to do with those healthy friends I want. I am very paranoid about being used and mistreated, and sometimes I admit I do overreact to some behaviors that are normal because I think someone is trying to guilt trip me, or use me, or manipulate. Very hard to build healthy relationships after a lifetime of only being routinely and regularly exposed to toxic ones.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oddly enough, the best thing that ever happened to my relationship with my mother was that my dad died. My mother then proceeded to take everything that was due her, AND everything that was due me. When I fought her for the little bit that he left me, she threatened to disown me, and I finally had had enough and slammed the door (Disown? DISOWN? I'LL SHOW YOU DISOWN!" haha) I didn't not talk to her for three years, and when she finally called me, she understood for once that I do not need her. My mother made me doubt my own perceptions my entire life (gaslighting, yes!) and was heavily invested in making me doubt my capabilities. She wanted me never to be as good as or better than she was; she always had to be on top. She would tell me I was incapable of, for example, buying my own residence -- she'd snort and laugh in my face if I brought it up and tell me I couldn't take care of myself. Finally I just up and did it, and it was nothing! So I was like, why did you make me think I couldn't do this? and she said because I'd never been able to take care of myself, and I said I'd been taking care of myself for years! SHE was the one who couldn't pay her own bills and needed someone to help her financially!

I was talking to a friend some years later about feeling guilty for things I'd done that upset my mother when I was a child, and after I described one incident, my friend asked me how old I was when it happened, and I said I was nine, and my friend just looked at me and finally it hit me. I was nine years old. I was a child. I could finally let myself off the hook.

We got back together as best we could, I consider it an important relationship -- but last time I was at her house (500 miles away), there were several friends of the family sitting around, and my mother looked at me in disgust and blurted out "Her father abused her!" My father did NOT abuse me. And why all of a sudden she had to make me look pitiful I don't know. But I haven't been back since.

I let her visit me if she wants to.

Besides stuff that was abusive, there is an inability to comprehend who I am. I used to write pretty good poetry but if she got ahold of it, she'd show it to everybody she could get ahold of, "My daughter writes. She gets it from me" sort of thing. It felt so excruciating, like she was stripping me naked in front of people. She wouldn't let me have anything private. And she couldn't understand why I wouldn't do as she does and frame stuff and hang it on the wall -- she has framed pictures of herself and things she's written, etc., hanging up. Why aren't you proud of yourself? and I'd try to explain that I didn't write so someone else could evaluate it, and it's not for everybody to read. It's like talking to a wall, because everything she does is for show.

Oh, but I meant to say -- she remarried after my father died, and her inlaws started to realize something was not quite right, and when they started to come around asking me if she was crazy, did she typically remember things wrong, etc., THAT's when I finally knew. But I wasted a lot of years being unsure of myself because nothing ever matched, everything I did was wrong or at the least weird, etc.

This is why I say don't spend time in it because if you stay away, you will find outside verification that you're all right and that will strengthen you as long as you don't have her pulling you back into the pit and making you question yourself constantly.

Immaculate Cloud

MBTI Type
INFJ
@Mochajava,

a technical tutorial? It seems like you're doing just fine.

I still don't know how to 'multi-quote' in my replies!:shock:

Now there must be teeny buttons that I have not clicked on because I was too lazy for that

:doh:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
If you want to multiquote someone, I've found the easiest way is to put

person's name said:
at the beginning (or just
) but do it in caps (it changes it to smalls when I do it here.

Then copy the portion you want after that and end it with same bracket, forward slash and QUOTE and end bracket. (It keeps putting weird quotes in when I write that the way it would look!) You have to do that for each separate quote you want. You can just use the plain quote button if you want to quote the whole thing.

I know I'm coming in late to the conversation, but what would you people say are the most common traits of someone who is narcisistic?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or you could just use the multi-quote button...
multiquote_off.gif
<---

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've tried and never had much luck with it. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which browser/release are you using?

I've noticed it doesn't always work with iPhone/safari.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know I'm coming in late to the conversation, but what would you people say are the most common traits of someone who is narcisistic?

This site has good layman's notes:

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) : Traits discussed

The most telling thing that narcissists do is contradict themselves. They will do this virtually in the same sentence, without even stopping to take a breath. It can be trivial (e.g., about what they want for lunch) or it can be serious (e.g., about whether or not they love you). When you ask them which one they mean, they'll deny ever saying the first one, though it may literally have been only seconds since they said it -- really, how could you think they'd ever have said that? You need to have your head examined! They will contradict FACTS. They will lie to you about things that you did together. They will misquote you to yourself. If you disagree with them, they'll say you're lying, making stuff up, or are crazy. [At this point, if you're like me, you sort of panic and want to talk to anyone who will listen about what is going on: this is a healthy reaction; it's a reality check ("who's the crazy one here?"); that you're confused by the narcissist's contrariness, that you turn to another person to help you keep your bearings, that you know something is seriously wrong and worry that it might be you are all signs that you are not a narcissist].

It's one thing to meet such a person as an adult -- imagine what it's like to be a bright and perceptive child of a family that moves every 18 months to 3 years, with no siblings, a mostly absent father, and such a person as the only constant in your life....

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The most telling thing that narcissists do is contradict themselves. They will do this virtually in the same sentence, without even stopping to take a breath. It can be trivial (e.g., about what they want for lunch) or it can be serious (e.g., about whether or not they love you). When you ask them which one they mean, they'll deny ever saying the first one, though it may literally have been only seconds since they said it -- really, how could you think they'd ever have said that? You need to have your head examined! They will contradict FACTS. They will lie to you about things that you did together. They will misquote you to yourself.
:yes:
Scary. You wonder how such people can function / maintain a consistent version of reality in their heads - because of course, they are not consciously aware of doing most of those things.

Another biggie is denying any responsibility for their actions. I'm thinking of Raoul Moat, who went on a killing spree in a quiet English Village last month.
Moat was a narcissist, says crime expert - Channel 4 News
In fact Moat was so self-justifying that he even left a 49 page letter "explaining" himself. So, Samantha was shot so that she could claim compensation after the incident was over; Chris because Moat believed him to be a police officer and who had in any event mocked Moat; and David – who actually was a police officer – because he was "probably going to arrest some single mum for not having valid road tax" on her car.
It was almost as if he thought he was Robin Hood, or better still – the Hulk – whom Moat name-checked in his letter. He also abused steroids. In fact Moat – one of the best examples of a narcissist that we will ever encounter - had been very carefully managing his image throughout this incident and had gone out of his way to downplay or justify the violence that he had used with what are called "techniques of neutralisation".

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you leave him alone long enough, he'll convince himself either he never did it, or it was the best thing he ever did and give you reasons why you should appreciate it.

If it puts them in a bad light, it simply never happened.

It makes it impossible to confront them about past abuse.

Mochajava -- I just caught what you said about your mother's reaction to your saying one good thing about your dad. OMG. When my dad died, my mother did some very upsetting stuff, and trying to talk about it with her later I just felt helpless trying to get her to understand my DAD had just died ... didn't she remember when her daddy died? wasn't she sad? even though her parents didn't get along either... so can't she understand that I was very sad, too? and getting nowhere. There's just no empathy. She finally did grudging say "Well, he did love you." But even that was a betrayal, because she is the only one who can be loved or admired. Any love or admiration going anywhere else took away from her. If my dad commented that an actress on tv was pretty, my mother would flip -- but if I did the same, she'd also flip -- it wasn't sexual jealousy, it was pure jealousy. You could not say someone else was prettier, period.

If I said something clever, her response would be "Why didn't I think of that?"

crazy crazy crazy

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Have you read "Toxic Parents" by Susan Forward? Excellent read.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Awe man, the contradicting! It really is like feeling as if your head will explode any time you get into it with them. I've always said my mother hears what she wants to hear (even though she will tell you it is me that hears what she wants to hear). I've honestly had times where I am tempted to set-up a intricate network of hidden video cameras to record everything just so I can sleep in peace, lol. I can laugh about it but it honestly is just maddening.

I always worry I'm a narcissist. I wig out when I recognize some of my own behaviors or tendencies when reading information about narcissists, but then I realize that a true narcissist does not reflect in that way. They don't seek therapy, they resent the suggestion ANYTHING is wrong, they don't seem to have any interest in the well being of relationships outside of their own selfish needs.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
No - when did it come out? Tell me more!

Amazon.com: Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life (9780553381405): Susan Forward, Craig Buck: Books

It's kind of old (1989), I found it used on Amazon; if you read the reviews, you'll see it has had a very positive, healing effect on many people. It is a best-seller on the subject of harmful parenting in general. It has helped me for sure.

My mother (STJ) is not a narcissist per se, put she was very demanding with me and had little consideration for my feelings or aspirations. She was very controlling. She imposed her own priorities and aspirations on me. She punished me constantly and made me feel bad and defective. She was always looking over my shoulder, telling me what I was doing wrong. I didn't know what to do about it and couldn't verbalize my unhappiness (I wasn't allowed to express my anger, that was rebellion), so my body would express it through sickness. I was a rather sickly child and had sleep problems (I still do when something makes me nervous). Stress-related ailments, I guess.

When I was 9, my big sister moved in with her baby girl (an ISFP) and stayed with us for a while. My mother totally devoted herself to the child and made me feel like I had been pushed aside, replaced by a new kid to love. She wasn't very subtle about it and kind of sent me the message that I had failed and hadn't been able to please her as a daughter.

Until recently, I spent my life trying to find a surrogate mother through female role models who would show kindness and appreciate me for whom I was. I made a lot of those relationships fail and even destroyed some of them because of how intense and obsessive I'd get about them.
My most recent role model (and the worst failure so far) was an ISFP. Strangely enough, quite a few of those role models have been ISFPs, as if I was trying to be like the niece who had replaced me to become lovable.

I feel better now, and Toxic Parents has been very helpful.

Beauty for Ashes by Joyce Meyer has also helped me a lot. You might like it if you are a Christian.
The Road Less Travelled by Scott Peck is also excellent.

Last edited:

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
@KLessard I'm reading it on google boks now - thank you

Here it is if anyone else wants it:
Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their ... - Google Books

@Tiltyred It's funny, but the thing I told you about my Mom didn't strike me as that bad... just self-centered and weak. Also, it's not among the worst/most hurtful things she did. But you're so right -- it IS that bad. Sigh - I have a LOT of work to do...! And it's coming up around a year since I've talked to the toxic folks, so my mind is somehow staying there a lot.