• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] Anger

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Udog had a magnificent quote. I shall share in part. "...People who ignore or resist their feelings often end up obsessed with them..." Jack Morin

I believe that absoluely we must aacknowledge this emotion called anger. However, not to act irrationally. That is a major feature of what i think. Do not give in and with a possession of anger.

With anger comes intolerance and half the battle is lost. However, with correct reflection, sifting out the distortions in reason and logic that afflict us all, we may begin to understand one another.

Anger is in a sense a temporary psychosis. There are elements of reality. There are even more projections of one's own unfinished business of a psychological stance
and unresolved conflict. This is a danger, we can project unfished issues we have inside of our process with thinking.

“Events take their course, it is no good of being angry at them; he is happiest who wisely turns them to the account.” Euripides 480-406 BCE

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Anger is most often a symptom of an underlying feeling, usually fear, shame, hurt or embarrassment.
And most times the anger is about you, and you feeling those feelings

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Coriolis wrote, "...experience anger because one of my fundamental values has been violated. and "behalf of others rather than myself." Coriolis also says, "..step back and determine exactly what principle..." I find it intersting that Coriolis states she can get angry when people's rights are violation. More so than she feels for herself.

I too experience injustices. Things that are not tolerable, but as Coriolis states i am trying to use anger with passion for a cause. I also like finding other like minded persons who have similar outrage of some of the injustices in this world.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Arclight states, "underlying feeling, usually fear, shame..." All I can say is i happen being in agreement. Usually at the bottom of such negative emotions such: anger and hate all belong with a deep hurt. They are not complete individuals, but ghosts who project their negativity.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Anger is a driving force for me. There are plenty of things to be validly angry about, as long as the anger is proactive you can act upon it beneficially rather than stewing and ending up angsty or something like that.

I agree as long as reason with clear thinking is manifest. If one becomes a prisoner with anger, then their perception with reality can not receive an acknowledgement.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
ReflecttcelfeR wishes some answer, "...is if the anger went away, or if it was displaced?..."

In this case ReflecttcelfeR my anger dissipated with my new perception with reality . I no longer had a trace of anger. In fact i had some humor on the other driver possessed with his anger.I went driving to my house with a feeling a high mixed with euphoria.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sytpg says, "...it's a cause. You can do what you want to me and I won't angry." Ah then you are or happen being with a conjunction with Coriolis. Though the unconscious reasons are probably different. Phenomenal, you say you happen to be cool in all other situations, and people can't make you ma? You feel nothing/ What is your thinking process and what thoughts are going around in your head?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Rebe states, "...I lost control/power..." and "...indignant and angry about injustice..."
Interesting, personally i hate losing control. I don't like anger. I consider it a weakness, though this is a distortion in thought. You too have the passion of injustices perpetrated unto others.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anger is both a natural and highly construtive emotion. It gets unfairly villified as a huge no-no. Like anything malignant, it can cause rot, but so can any wound left untreated. Righteous anger was found in Christ. Anger can the tempering fire that burns away the dross and flotsam.

Anger isn't the enemy. It's misplaced pride.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Anger is both a natural and highly construtive emotion. It gets unfairly villified as a huge no-no. Like anything malignant, it can cause rot, but so can any wound left untreated. Righteous anger was found in Christ. Anger can the tempering fire that burns away the dross and flotsam.

Having a feeling is never the enemy.. this is so true. But acting on the feeling often is.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Having a feeling is never the enemy.. this is so true. But acting on the feeling often is.

Could not agree more. The handling of the feeling is the name of the game.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Domino wrote, "...natural and highly constructive..." “He, who loses control of anger, loses control of self and in effect disgraces himself or her. Now there are mighty passions to be unleashed on the world but with the restraint of reason.”

Anger is in a sense a temporary psychosis. There are elements of reality. There are even more projections of one's own unfinished business and psychologically unresolved conflict.

i agree Domino that anger is a natural and heart felt emotion that must be expressed. However, my biggest beef is (1). we have distortions with proper logic if anger possess us. We must (2) express the emotion (-in this particular thread, anger). (3) we need to act rationally and not do stupid things when angry. Especially since in many cases (4). we are reacting to a lie, a totally misunderstanding of reality and projecting unto the real life situations. (5). One can have passion. I am for environmental, animal, gay, women's, all human beings rights. There is injustice, and anger can usefullly come into play; from merely being aware of "bad" things in the world to actually doing something about it.

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act upon them?" Buddha

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Arclight originally posted and Domoino reposted. "But acting on the feeling..." I am in agreement totally. This is where critical thought must be used, so as not making something bad well worse for two wrongs obviously don't make a right.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

And refusal to let the anger pass.

In the States, there is a tendency to nominalize emotions. Instead of feeling angry, a state that washes over us and then goes away, we decide that we ARE angry. We embalm the emotion, preserving it and preventing it from running its natural course.

Anger can hurt understanding, but only if it remains a driving force.

This quote interests me: "Expressing anger is a form of public littering." Willard Gaylin

I'm not sure what to make of it... for some reason, this quote makes my head spin. It compares anger to trash, which hardly seems fair. Plus, it assumes that all forms of expressing anger are the same - that it all amounts to littering.

It seems like a cynical view point to me.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Me too, Udog. I don't see anger as trash that is essentially a burden or cast-off to the general public. By nature, anger is like happiness or sadness or any other emotional state. A strenuous call for moderation in all things maintains balance. Personal pride muddies the water, causes wars, warps reality into a nasty graveyard full of undead things. I find pride of this ilk is based almost solely in fear, very deep fear, the sort of fear that is primal and ignorant of what and why, a fear that never asks questions, that shoots first before asking questions, that completely lacks any manner of discipline and has nothing HIGHER THAN ITSELF so it resents any test or ordeal it's subjected to. These sort of people would fight the entire round planet if they believed the world was flat.

I think a common misconception of anger is that it is HATE. The two are exclusive of one another. Anything that says "________ is my God" is a problem. Those who deify happiness are also setting others up to fail them, as well as shutting the door to any true understanding of themselves and human nature overall.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dammit. I wish I could remember where I read where it said that letting your anger out is actually no better and not more relieving than repressing it.

It was suggested that not letting yourself feel angry or being able to just let your anger go easily was better. How do you do that? Don't ask me. lol

But, really, this is a bit of a conundrum because I also find apathy to be completely unacceptable too.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Me too, Udog. I don't see anger as trash that is essentially a burden or cast-off to the general public. By nature, anger is like happiness or sadness or any other emotional state. A strenuous call for moderation in all things maintains balance. Personal pride muddies the water, causes wars, warps reality into a nasty graveyard full of undead things. I find pride of this ilk is based almost solely in fear, very deep fear, the sort of fear that is primal and ignorant of what and why, a fear that never asks questions, that shoots first before asking questions, that completely lacks any manner of discipline and has nothing HIGHER THAN ITSELF so it resents any test or ordeal it's subjected to. These sort of people would fight the entire round planet if they believed the world was flat.

I think a common misconception of anger is that it is HATE. The two are exclusive of one another. Anything that says "________ is my God" is a problem. Those who deify happiness are also setting others up to fail them, as well as shutting the door to any true understanding of themselves and human nature overall.

Wow, that's a good point, especially since anger is sometimes the excuse people use to unload growing hate and resentment. Anger that's founded in love takes on a very different color than anger that is founded in hate. Add fear to that hate, and now we have a problem.

I wonder if panic is often confused with anger.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dammit. I wish I could remember where I read where it said that letting your anger out is actually no better and not more relieving than repressing it.

It was suggested that not letting yourself feel angry or being able to just let your anger go easily was better. How do you do that? Don't ask me. lol

But, really, this is a bit of a conundrum because I also find apathy to be completely unacceptable too.

There was an episode of Bullsh*t (funny, I almost typed B*llshit :laugh:) that talked about such a study. The basic idea is that those that expressed their anger by hitting a pillow and yelling were actually ANGRIER afterwards than the ones that were told simply to sit quietly instead.

The idea being that catharsis isn't all that cathartic.

In order for emotions to pass, you have to acknowledge them and let yourself feel them, though. Otherwise, it often increases the intensity of the emotion. It's just that violently expressing anger very well may make it worse, rather than better. There's a middle ground of dealing with and expressing the emotions that needs to be found.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Udog is quoted here, This quote interests me: "Expressing anger is a form of public littering." Willard Gaylin and a personal opinion from Udog, "It compares anger to trash, which hardly seems fair."

I just see senseless anger and not proactive and actively seeking a change determination. This is fueled by an inner light lit by a fire from anger over the injustice perpetrated.

Many of our anger episodes have a plethora of distorted reasoning, fueled as Arclight stated by pain. Pain which is triggered by a situation which raises ghosts of a past and unresolved conflict. I'm willing to work on the cognitive thread possessed from myself, as well introduce a Buddhist way looking at our lives. At the very least our pain inflicted is from our demons, say 50%.

"Enslavement by illusion is comfortable; it is the liberation by truth that people fear" David R Hawkins