• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Common ENFP issues

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmm..so there are some that identify with it...Perhaps its a Te-Fi thing? Or an enneagram thing? 4's against 7's perhaps?

I do all of the things you've mentionned, but I also like, three times a year have a week, or perhaps two where I avoid all social contact like the plague coz it's just too much effort, spend time in my head and pretty much just have a need to recharge, be on my own. I'll forum a bit (but won't answer pm's as much and read a lot more without parttaking in the threads), I'll put on shows that make me feel good and listen to music that makes me nostalgic, but I'm absolutely not available to *anyone* even my own so at that point.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what are we talking about here? total hibernation for a long period of time? no...i don't do that...i need time alone sometimes and avoid my phone and blow things off but i wouldn't say there's a particular reason that i'm aware of or that it's even intentional. i just may be really enjoying the quiet...or decide i wanna curl up with blankets and pillows and watch a movie. i don't think there's anything out of the ordinary going on. :/

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah, i don't do it for a long period of time either. it comes in short bursts and fairly regularly, it's just a part of life, no big shifts or anything. how much i want to be around people generally has to do with their availability and my degree of liking of and comfort with them.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I've spent a lot of time alone ever since I was a child. Days without much interaction. In a bad way sometimes. But it makes you think.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not really seeing any big differences. One of the things that stood out to me in the INFP thread was the thing Fidelia brought up about "cocooning" when one needs to sort things out. I'm really prone to that. So much so that people wouldn't type me as E.

Maybe the only differences would be the amount of forwardness. I guess a little bit of E goes a long way in establishing boundaries and other things right off the bat and clearing up social ambiguity.

Me too, I do the cocooning thing. I need it. But I have to be careful not to make it a habit, or it actually can make me feel depressed if I over-do it.

Oh - wait, I need to explain how I do it. I can become very non-social and stay in the house a lot, and I actually love quiet. I get over-stimulated by the modern world (traffic, noise) and I think that's the primary reason why I need it...also I find excessive PERSONAL emotional drama draining (the kind that involves real life relationships, or people I strongly care about, I don't mean arguments about ideas or confrontations with acquaintances...that doesn't seem to drain me at all and can in fact energize me :laugh:), and it's easy for me to get involved in emotional drama sometimes :dry: depending on whom I'm around...so yeah I will stay in bed or in my room or just spend a lot of time alone...

But I've noticed fairly recently that if I go for a jog instead of taking to my bed when I'm upset it actually makes me feel better, and I've noticed that having *some* feedback and affection from people is necessary for my happiness, and if I over-do the cocooning it's self-defeating. I guess that's what makes me an E?

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
Me too, I do the cocooning thing. I need it. But I have to be careful not to make it a habit, or it actually can make me feel depressed if I over-do it.

Oh - wait, I need to explain how I do it. I can become very non-social and stay in the house a lot, and I actually love quiet. I get over-stimulated by the modern world (traffic, noise) and I think that's the primary reason why I need it...also I find excessive PERSONAL emotional drama draining (the kind that involves real life relationships, or people I strongly care about, I don't mean arguments about ideas or confrontations with acquaintances...that doesn't seem to drain me at all and can in fact energize me :laugh:), and it's easy for me to get involved in emotional drama sometimes :dry: depending on whom I'm around...so yeah I will stay in bed or in my room or just spend a lot of time alone...

But I've noticed fairly recently that if I go for a jog instead of taking to my bed when I'm upset it actually makes me feel better, and I've noticed that having *some* feedback and affection from people is necessary for my happiness, and if I over-do the cocooning it's self-defeating. I guess that's what makes me an E?

That's how I know I'm an E too. I've been self-cocooned/holed up for almost 2 years. ...but even after just 3 months it worsened the depression. I spent a lot of time isolated growing up so it's normal for me. But I do love me some good interpersonal drama. I never seem to have any, tho. I'm always the advice dispenser.

There's a saying "if you lay down, you stay down" and that's true for everyone regardless of type.

Edit: When I read "cocooning" I took it to mean literal cocooning; which is what I do. No contact with the outside world, maybe a little internet but nothing,

Last edited:

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop

By that logic, I'd be E too. I constantly need external feedback. As a writer, I enjoyed the interaction and exchange of creativity even a bit more than writing. I write very quickly and spend way more time just 'talking'. If it wasn't for this forum for the past few months and my friends to preoccupy and entertain me, I'd be totally deranged by now. But what part of that is about being human and social and being a shy extrovert? The most I cocoon for is a day before I seek out someone.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Odd..so what gives that distinct 'vibe' of an ENFP and what makes it different from the INFP vibe? Perhaps the Te-hammer then?

I can do weeks and weeks of being only with my so in the house with just you peeps here online, no prob. In fact, I like it that way most of the time. When he's gone, I get antsy after a week or so, though sometimes I also really welcome that week. No so and no internet results in internet within a day.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I remember a few months back when we talked about the "Fi-nudge" and how it hit me the wrong way. I'm now beginning to realize that this is the "Fe-nudge", and why it feels manipulative to you. In reality, this is often simply done to gently remind a person to think about someone other than themselves, and act accordingly. It doesn't feel manipulative, because the intended response to it is to go through a thought process of one's own that would inevitably lead to the conclusion that the "nudger" was trying to impart. If any negative reaction occurs, it's the frustration (in Freudian terms) of the id being smacked down by the superego - you know it's right, but you're mad that a.) you let yourself slip and get selfish and b.) that you don't get to satisfy that desire. You don't feel manipulated, though, because the other person's right, and was simply reminding you to think the whole thing through.

However, if you're not prone to go through that thought process (you could see this as the Fe-Ti bridge), the only thing this would appeal to is the nature of one's relationship with that person, and the fear of the deterioration of that relationship. The use of fear to coerce is the very definition of manipulation, so I understand why you could see it that way.

Thanks for replying in such a detailed way :)

I get that this is a normal process for Fe-users, and that it works for you guys. Thanks btw for explaining it like this, it should help me greatly in disabling my irritation with it and understand it better. Question however...what happens if a Fe-user gives you that nudge, and as a Fi-user, you reevaluate and still decide that the proper course of action for *you* just aint the communal one that the Fe-user was nudging you for? Will they be back to guilttrip you again? How do I explain to them that it just aint going to happen and how do I make them understand why?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Thanks for replying in such a detailed way :)

I get that this is a normal process for Fe-users, and that it works for you guys. Thanks btw for explaining it like this, it should help me greatly in disabling my irritation with it and understand it better. Question however...what happens if a Fe-user gives you that nudge, and as a Fi-user, you reevaluate and still decide that the proper course of action for *you* just aint the communal one that the Fe-user was nudging you for? Will they be back to guilttrip you again? How do I explain to them that it just aint going to happen and how do I make them understand why?

Present your logic, and be resolute. Say, "I understand why you're saying what you do, but it just doesn't work for me because of this. I appreciate what you're trying to do for me, but right now, I have to go this alone." Usually, you'll get some response like "OK, just don't forget that we're here for you - we want the best for you!"

Presentation is 90% of the game. If you've got a stiff backbone, no one's going to try to convince you otherwise; your strength of will is simply too overwhelming.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Odd..so what gives that distinct 'vibe' of an ENFP and what makes it different from the INFP vibe? Perhaps the Te-hammer then?

I can do weeks and weeks of being only with my so in the house with just you peeps here online, no prob. In fact, I like it that way most of the time. When he's gone, I get antsy after a week or so, though sometimes I also really welcome that week. No so and no internet results in internet within a day.

The only way I could go weeks and week with only seeing my immediate family is if I have introverted for some reason such as depression, a rut, fatigue etc. If I am just being my normal self I only like short periods of time by myself like a half day, day at the most. If it goes longer than that for some reason that I can't control then it can turn into a rut or depression etc.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I distinctly remember one day when I was spending time with my roommate and then, with my other friend plus roommate, and then, my other other friend for a few minutes, and then I had a date with the guy and my other friend. I was exhilarated with the interactions, I loved it, but by the time night came, I was very quiet because I guess I was worn out already and recharging. But seeing and interacting with people who I love like that all in one day was awesome.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
it was almost cathartic reading this. I laughed cried. I cant believe how familiar the whole list was and im also glad to hear it from a fellow ENFP because it comes off alot more affectionately and is more understanding that way

One id add is oversensitivity though im not sure if thats personal to me only

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

hahah Te-hammer. yeahhh. making any NFP angry isn't really pleasant. my parents keep telling me the way i argue, i ought to be a lawyer :D

anyway -- ENFPs and INFPs both seem very multi-layered to me - but INFPs seem both more outwardly calm and more grounded. INFP really makes me think more of softer colors, and black and white, and ENFP of organic brown and jewel tones. vibe-wise. odd, i guess, but i'm a super visual person. oh, and INFPs have a very deep sense of determination, it also seems, and a hint more darkness than ENFP. ENFP has a deep-rooted sense of faith and optimism, and is more of a chameleon in terms of identity and living contradictions.

it was almost cathartic reading this. I laughed cried. I cant believe how familiar the whole list was and im also glad to hear it from a fellow ENFP because it comes off alot more affectionately and is more understanding that way

One id add is oversensitivity though im not sure if thats personal to me only

agreed :yes: even other Fs have told me this!!

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
hahah Te-hammer. yeahhh. making any NFP angry isn't really pleasant. my parents keep telling me the way i argue, i ought to be a lawyer :D

anyway -- ENFPs and INFPs both seem very multi-layered to me - but INFPs seem both more outwardly calm and more grounded. INFP really makes me think more of softer colors, and black and white, and ENFP of organic brown and jewel tones. vibe-wise. odd, i guess, but i'm a super visual person. oh, and INFPs have a very deep sense of determination, it also seems, and a hint more darkness than ENFP. ENFP has a deep-rooted sense of faith and optimism, and is more of a chameleon in terms of identity and living contradictions.

agreed :yes: even other Fs have told me this!!

I am so oversensitive when I get on the defensive. That has probably cause more arguments in my lifetime than anything else. I am REALLY trying not to be, and making progress lately.

Chloe

I am so oversensitive when I get on the defensive. That has probably cause more arguments in my lifetime than anything else. I am REALLY trying not to be, and making progress lately.

i am also super oversensitive. i managed to reduce it by accepting it... i used to tell myself all the time "dont be so oversensitive" and nothing worked, but ever since i accepted that part... feelings... i am less sensitive.
i hope it will continue that way.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
i am also super oversensitive. i managed to reduce it by accepting it... i used to tell myself all the time "dont be so oversensitive" and nothing worked, but ever since i accepted that part... feelings... i am less sensitive.
i hope it will continue that way.

Interesting. For me, I'm not trying to fight the feelings as much as I'm trying to realize it's not personal just because I feel it is. It's not an attack on my character just because I am feeling attacked. It's me, not them (generally).

Chloe

Interesting. For me, I'm not trying to fight the feelings as much as I'm trying to realize it's not personal just because I feel it is. It's not an attack on my character just because I am feeling attacked. It's me, not them (generally).

yes, that's what i thought too by "oversensitive"; taking everything personally...

only way its improving for me is by accepting i am sensitive and that i take it personally and feel judged... i kind of talk to myself "it's okay, darling, you're sensitive, i understand you" not talking myself out of it with "it wasnt personal" because my feelings dont understand that language, rational. they understand only empathic approach... kind of getting through the feelings rather than talking myself out of them