User Tag List

First 747555657585967 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Nara View Post
    It really depends on the region, you definitely won't have the same vibe in Toscany and Campania (and all the south)... Not only because of the cliché south=extraverts and north=introverts, but you'll find more Se-Fe in south, while the north cities are full of dutiful achievers (J).
    Oh whoops Nara...I had started to respond to this earlier and then the site was running too sluggish for my non-existent degree of patience with mechanical and technical stuffs and so I gave-up intent on returning. I almost forgot though... and I'm glad I did not as I really appreciate your comments here. I've considered them as well at various points in the day and while I believe you know what you are talking about (I'm not discounting what you say)...I think it's interesting that it doesn't represent my family...nor my personal experience of Italy.

My great-grandfather...an introvert, yes comes from a wealthy land-owning, wine-making family in the northern province of Alessandria...while my great-grandmother, an extrovert, came from a poor family in Rome. They met when my grandmother became a maid in my grandfather's household's kitchen.

My grandfather always said that the reason they decided to move to America was because he had been disowned for not having married the woman his mother and 'the 7 Streghe' (his 7 older sisters) had arranged for him to marry...but married whom he loved that just so happened to be Roman and a kitchen-hand.

While my grandmother said it was due to his gambling haha.

Either way...my northern/introverted grandfather...some sort of IxxJ...was the one with wild, risk-taking, more ESFP-like behavior. They did live in Napoli for ten years prior to finally setting off for the US while my grandfather had gone back and forth looking for good wine country...so maybe they were all influenced (all the children they had during this time.) ESFP makes a lot of sense to me though not so much with regards to individual behavior but with the overarching values of my family and basically every Italian I've ever encountered. You mentioned Fe...but all I can see is Fi x infinity being one of the most Individualistic cultures/nations ever. The unit is the individual. And everyone's opinion will be heard (no one's not speaking-up in an effort to preserve harmony haha.)

I don't remember all the places I've been in Italy ...but I don't see myself as an individual that would be a good candidate for detecting regional MBTI differences anyway. Being raised in a culture that has deep Scandanavian roots has been more challenging on me than I imagine anyone would guess. The most introverted Italian person would seem like a raging ESFP compared to people here. The only feeling I truly experience when interacting with people all throughout Italy is this overwhelming sense of joy and freedom thinking *there's nothing I can do that will fuck things up*

MBTI
    WILD

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    Oh whoops Nara...I had started to respond to this earlier and then the site was running too sluggish for my non-existent degree of patience with mechanical and technical stuffs and so I gave-up intent on returning. I almost forgot though... and I'm glad I did not as I really appreciate your comments here. I've considered them as well at various points in the day and while I believe you know what you are talking about (I'm not discounting what you say)...I think it's interesting that it doesn't represent my family...nor my personal experience of Italy.

My great-grandfather...an introvert, yes comes from a wealthy land-owning, wine-making family in the northern province of Alessandria...while my great-grandmother, an extrovert, came from a poor family in Rome. They met when my grandmother became a maid in my grandfather's household's kitchen.

My grandfather always said that the reason they decided to move to America was because he had been disowned for not having married the woman his mother and 'the 7 Streghe' (his 7 older sisters) had arranged for him to marry...but married whom he loved that just so happened to be Roman and a kitchen-hand.

While my grandmother said it was due to his gambling haha.

Either way...my northern/introverted grandfather...some sort of IxxJ...was the one with wild, risk-taking, more ESFP-like behavior. They did live in Napoli for ten years prior to finally setting off for the US while my grandfather had gone back and forth looking for good wine country...so maybe they were all influenced (all the children they had during this time.) ESFP makes a lot of sense to me though not so much with regards to individual behavior but with the overarching values of my family and basically every Italian I've ever encountered. You mentioned Fe...but all I can see is Fi x infinity being one of the most Individualistic cultures/nations ever. The unit is the individual. And everyone's opinion will be heard (no one's not speaking-up in an effort to preserve harmony haha.)

I don't remember all the places I've been in Italy ...but I don't see myself as an individual that would be a good candidate for detecting regional MBTI differences anyway. Being raised in a culture that has deep Scandanavian roots has been more challenging on me than I imagine anyone would guess. The most introverted Italian person would seem like a raging ESFP compared to people here. The only feeling I truly experience when interacting with people all throughout Italy is this overwhelming sense of joy and freedom thinking *there's nothing I can do that will fuck things up*
    In fact I worked in the cultural service of Florence and Palazzo Vecchio last year (nostalgia incoming ) and traveled in very different parts of the country. We were two french, and a bunch of (so sweet ) spanish and (of course) italians in the office, some of them had been living in the country for a longer period of time than others but we all shared the same experience. In Florens, as in Milan, as in Bologne or Turin, people are more Fi in the sense of authenticity.
    They aren't as much friendly as the south people can be, and it's harder to make connections with them, but when you make friends, they are "true" friends.

South people Fe is nurturing kindness for the sake of it, so they naturally treat you as a friend, but it remains somewhat shallow (it wasn't a big deal for me as I still appreciate the seductive and superficial behaviors - not talking about men - for what it was, but some others were very disillusioned)...

To me Se dom is the closest function to the "seize the moment" philosophy but it's really stronger in the south (and I'd add "dolce vitta" blabla is a total cliche (and actually this movie is completely depressing)).
    When I went to Napoli, I was thinking that having the Vesuvius in the background must be a reminder of the temporary, or something like that so I can understand why people aren't taking unnecessary things too seriously, and are living so well in this damn chaotic city (and I must admit I loved it !).

And when I said they were achievers (talking about big cities in the north), I meant they work really hard and pay attention to the prestige of their career in terms of financial comfort (in fact italians are attached to their image in one way or another). Plus, most of people there usually have two or three jobs because of life cost. Plus, it's normal to them to work much longer than required.
    Some italian people I met in France when I came back here ( ) were so shocked that French seemed so lazy (looks like the less we do at work the healthier we get) LOL.
    BUT while here in France (and paradoxically) we define ourselves by our job (it's changing), Italians deeply know that's not the most important quality in a personal life.

Also they have family values I admire. You can't find one grandmother left alone and isolated in Italia .
    "he had been disowned for not having married the woman his mother and 'the 7 Streghe' (his 7 older sisters) had arranged for him to marry" : lol this is Matriarchia
    Pretty story ^^

Being raised in a culture that has deep Scandanavian roots has been more challenging on me than I imagine anyone would guess.
    Ouh yes I can understand this... Where have you been raised ?

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    3w4

That common issue when you think you're going to be able to successfully navigate romantic relationships and compartmentalize emotions in a healthy way...then fail completely.

MBTI
    WILD

Quote Originally Posted by Malkavia View Post
    That common issue when you think you're going to be able to successfully navigate romantic relationships and compartmentalize emotions in a healthy way...then fail completely.
    You're a 7, you just have to move to the next. As a 4 I leave quickly when I feel I'm going to regret it after being emotionnaly engaged, but then ruminate it for weeks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Malkavia View Post
    I tend to feel like I'm built like the Titanic, that I can hold about 5 compartments of water at once without sinking--and my ship is pretty unsinkable until I reach that point. Trouble is, when I'm stressed and not having enough self-reflection or down time, I can't tell if there are 2 compartments full or all, if I'm sinking or floating, if I'm even a boat and have compartments at all. I start looking to see if everyone else's compartments are full or empty to see if I can figure out what the most logical probability that mine are full is. Everything, except sitting down for a bit and doing some dishes or heaven forbid, making other things easier for myself. What do your compartments feel like?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by thistlechaser View Post
    I tend to feel like I'm built like the Titanic, that I can hold about 5 compartments of water at once without sinking--and my ship is pretty unsinkable until I reach that point. Trouble is, when I'm stressed and not having enough self-reflection or down time, I can't tell if there are 2 compartments full or all, if I'm sinking or floating, if I'm even a boat and have compartments at all. I start looking to see if everyone else's compartments are full or empty to see if I can figure out what the most logical probability that mine are full is. Everything, except sitting down for a bit and doing some dishes or heaven forbid, making other things easier for myself. What do your compartments feel like?
    So relatable.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nara View Post
    You're a 7, you just have to move to the next. As a 4 I leave quickly when I feel I'm going to regret it after being emotionnaly engaged, but then ruminate it for weeks.
    I don't know her exact situation, but as a 7, I think it's good to stick around for a lesson in recognizing and managing deep emotions that come with a relationship after you've failed to do so instead of just fleeing. If course if the relationship isn't working for other reasons, the 7's ability to move on is a gift.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    So relatable.
    I'm glad! A lot of my models for people and myself are shapes and textures, do you ever find yourself feeling a quasi synesthesia related to emotional associations and textures/colors/shapes?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by thistlechaser View Post
    I'm glad! A lot of my models for people and myself are shapes and textures, do you ever find yourself feeling a quasi synesthesia related to emotional associations and textures/colors/shapes?
    Yes! Not so much colors and shapes, but textures, viscosity and spatial relationships, distance and time. <3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Yes! Not so much colors and shapes, but textures, viscosity and spatial relationships, distance and time. <3
    <3Oh, you're one of those bleepy bloopy, timey-wimey freaks...</3