• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ: Properly dealing with withdrawal episodes

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
During the past week, I have been reeling myself in, and though I feel badly about doing it, it seems as if my soul is telling me to. I think I need to do this in order to approach the next phase of my life with some clarity.

However, I do not want to isolate people (which I'm good at doing). Last time I had an episode, I offended a few family members. I went about 6 weeks without really speaking to anyone, maybe a couple of texts here and there. I know this is inappropriate, but I couldn't make myself be around them without feeling anxiety.

How have you effectively gotten through major withdrawal/recharge episodes?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
During the past week, I have been reeling myself in, and though I feel badly about doing it, it seems as if my soul is telling me to. I think I need to do this in order to approach the next phase of my life with some clarity.

However, I do not want to isolate people (which I'm good at doing). Last time I had an episode, I offended a few family members. I went about 6 weeks without really speaking to anyone, maybe a couple of texts here and there. I know this is inappropriate, but I couldn't make myself be around them without feeling anxiety.

How have you effectively gotten through major withdrawal/recharge episodes?

Hi Quay..

There should be no guilt in needing time for yourself to sort yourself out.
I suppose people should be clear about what they are doing in these instances, but I never am.. I just withdraw and have faith that those that really care will still be there when I reemerge.

I have no effective advice to offer . Only support and understanding. :hug:

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just withdraw and have faith that those that really care will still be there when I reemerge.

Thanks...

This is what I usually do. Now that I think of it, they may get offended because they think they did something to contribute to my withdrawal, when really it's not them.

I swear.... the only person who gets this is my INFP sister. She does the same thing and doesn't bother me at all when I go into my cave.

My father is ExTJ and he goes into a frenzy when she won't answer his phone calls. I try to explain to him that she's okay, and to leave her alone...she will call when she's ready.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm… Interesting question.

I don’t think my life usually allows me to withdraw completely for very long periods. (A day or two here and there is usually possible.) Sometimes I feel as though I would like to withdraw more but it’s just not possible because of work and community demands. However, it is probably easier for me than for some others to withdraw to at least quite a large extent. My family lives thousands of miles away, and though I usually speak with my parents about once a week, and enjoy speaking with them, occasionally if I don’t feel like I talking I just won’t answer the phone or call them. If this went on and on and on and I didn’t tell them anything they’d probably be quite freaked out. But, I can make excuses by email etc (I’ve been really busy, I was pretty tired that night, I’ve been meaning to call you back this week but it just didn’t happen) and that will usually cover it. If I was really down/exhausted and didn’t want to speak for that reason, I’m not sure I would spell that out. Even if it had nothing to do with me being annoyed with them or whatever (very unlikely that would happen), they would probably get quite worried about that. I’m more likely to make partially-true excuses if that’s what’s happening. But I have to say, I've never wanted to not speak with them for weeks on end...they would be freaked out by that, whatever the excuse. I would feel bad about doing that to them however exhausted I was.

I also live alone, so I don’t have the needs of a partner (or even roommate) to cope with under those circumstances – obviously sometimes that can be a lonely situation but at other times I daresay it’s an advantage. I work full-time but in other respects I guess it is not so difficult for me to just switch off and not go out or talk to people, or limit it to texting or whatever.

Sometimes if I’m feeling that way I force myself to go out with friends or something anyway because I realise I will feel a little better when I get there. Other times I just know I need to be alone/recharge and it actually is good for me – then, I might actually cancel on people with whom I had plans or whatever. I generally don’t like to do that but sometimes it is necessary. I generally have friends who are understanding enough that they get it if I say I feel ill or exhausted (either physically or emotionally) and need to cancel. Plus, I live in a very big busy city and although I’m an introvert I have quite an active social/community/cultural life. To be honest, a lot of us are a bit flaky about cancelling on one other for one reason or another and sometimes that can be an advantage. And, if you live in a big crazy city, people realise that stuff can just come up, or that you may be worn out.

I’m afraid none of that probably helps much with your situation! :hug:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Thanks...

This is what I usually do. Now that I think of it, they may get offended because they think they did something to contribute to my withdrawal, when really it's not them.

I swear.... the only person who gets this is my INFP sister. She does the same thing and doesn't bother me at all when I go into my cave.

My father is ExTJ and he goes into a frenzy when she won't answer his phone calls. I try to explain to him that she's okay, and to leave her alone...she will call when she's ready.

In my case.. I mostly do not want to burden people with my issues. I determine that I am not a person who being around at this time, is going to be beneficial to anyone.
If I have to be around people, They are often oblivious to the turmoil going on inside of me due to an awesome poker face ( Cues Lady Ga Ga).

I do think people take it personally.. God!! I take it personally sometimes when people do it.. and you would think by now I would just realize they are being exactly like me and not get offended.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes if I’m feeling that way I force myself to go out with friends or something anyway because I realise I will feel a little better when I get there. Other times I just know I need to be alone/recharge and it actually is good for me – then, I might actually cancel on people with whom I had plans or whatever. I generally don’t like to do that but sometimes it is necessary. I generally have friends who are understanding enough that they get it if I say I feel ill or exhausted (either physically or emotionally) and need to cancel. Plus, I live in a very big busy city and although I’m an introvert I have quite an active social/community/cultural life. To be honest, a lot of us are a bit flaky about cancelling on one other for one reason or another and sometimes that can be an advantage. And, if you live in a big crazy city, people realise that stuff can just come up, or that you may be worn out.

I’m afraid none of that probably helps much with your situation! :hug:

lol! this does help. Thank ya kindly.

I have an active social life as an introvert myself. Perhaps I can maintain a bit of my social activity. This may help me through it. Last time I saw a couple of my friends was July 4th weekend and one said, "So next time we'll see you is Labor Day?"

Har har...

Arclight...This is true also. In addition, I feel like my issues will just be misunderstood so why even waste time talking about it with them.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My INFP has mini-episodes of this sometimes and it hurts a lot when he doesn't tell me that he is going into one of them. If you give a clear explanation that you need time alone for a little and that you love them but you need to fight your demons on your own, I'm sure they will understand (at least a little bit better). Of course, do this before you actually withdraw. Some sort of scheduled mini contacts is nice too, like if you promise them you'll text them once every day to let them know you are all right. I know I'd really appreciate it, because if I don't know what the problem is, I don't know how serious it is, and then I start to worry if something really bad has happened.

Hope you can sort out your problems and feel better soon! :hug:

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
Just be honest with people. Tell them that you just need some alone time for awhile, it has absolutely nothing to do with anything that they did, it's just your personality, and that they shouldn't take it personally at all.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just be honest with people. Tell them that you just need some alone time for awhile, it has absolutely nothing to do with anything that they did, it's just your personality, and that they shouldn't take it personally at all.

devil's advocate question :devil:

How do you deal with people who won't accept that it is a personal struggle?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
devil's advocate question :devil:

How do you deal with people who won't accept that it is a personal struggle?

I Doorslam them.. duh!!

Ok I am kidding .. I am not sure.
I have had little success this way.

Add me to the list of people who would like to know this.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I doorslam them ... duh!

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmmmm...I dunno. I guess I would try to talk to them during the "good" times when you're not feeling the need to withdraw. If you can talk about when you're clearly happy and happy to be with that person, maybe you can convince them that it's an objective personality thing and not something that they can influence one way or another.

It's an especially difficult for extroverts to understand. Maybe you could try getting them to read this:Marti Laney

kyli_ryan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2wX
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I actually just emerged from one of these "episodes." I find that I generally don't feel like doing anything and get into a real routine. I think that the fact that I was living alone, working in an environment that didn't seem to offer me any interaction with anyone, and feeling a little misunderstood by the people who I was in communication with all added to making this (what seemed to be) an unusually long episode. Do you find that these "episodes" usually come up when you're facing something overwhelming? In my case, I think my need to plan out what I'm doing after I graduate next year has a lot to do with this, added with the stresses of senior year and living away from home for the first summer since I left for college. I think I generally have a focus on "planning" what is coming next and sometimes it all can catch up to me when I realize I haven't really been reaching the goals I've set for myself. I think getting out of the "episode" just takes time... I generally have no motivation to do anything and need to just calm down and focus on my current situations instead of what's happening later on.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you find that these "episodes" usually come up when you're facing something overwhelming?

I certainly do! I had it on and off over the last winter, for sure. I was so stressed with an uncertain and changeable work situation, plus it was a grim winter weather-wise, a couple of people died, I was sad and stressed about an interpersonal situation...etc. I just spent a lot of time hiding away and reading - which is easy enough to do in the winter, I guess! Not that I didn't go out and socialize at all but I certainly cocooned a lot.

I feel like I'm on the flipside now - it is a nice summer here, my job situation sorted out, the interpersonal situation sorted out, I really feel better than I have in ages and have been socializing a lot, even a little too much for me. I feel like quite the extrovert right now, but part of me is like "if you're out and about too much and catching up with everyone you've ever known, you're going to have a giant crash at some point and have to withdraw big time!" Hopefully it won't be a "giant crash", just more of a chance to relax and catch my breath and recharge :)

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you find that these "episodes" usually come up when you're facing something overwhelming? In my case, I think my need to plan ... I generally have no motivation to do anything and need to just calm down and focus on my current situations instead of what's happening later on.

Thanks for the advice guys. I did talk to my folks about being low-key for a while. They said "Ok" but with that raised eyebrow look.

I find this quote to be particularly true. I'll be graduating soon, and I need to be looking for a much better job. My bills have just escalated by 30%. In addition, I have just had some major changes in my personal life, which have been positive and negative.

and...someone stole my cell phone yesterday and I'm not even going to get it replaced for 30 days. The carrier told me I could suspend the service for 30 days without incurring the termination fee, so I think I'm going to allow myself that 30 days.

I was just, JUST, telling my husband that it seems as if no one calls me unless they need me to do something. I think this is part of it too. I try to limit how much I extend myself, but as soon as I extend myself a little, then my arms start getting stretched way too far. A lot of this is my fault though, as I need to just say "no, I can't" and not worry about people being upset with me for not accomodating them.

I'm doing some major re-evaluation of my relationships along with myself.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When things get too hard to bear, I give people the heads up that I need to be left alone, or need to spend time away from them because the relationship has caused me pain. I leave the option for them to offer their input about this, and if they don't respond, then I close the door. When I'm ready, I emerge from it.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It's been almost two weeks since my in-laws came for a visit. I still feel like I'm recovering. It wasn't a bad visit. It was generally pleasant and low key, but all the cleaning and stressing I did before hand and the just needing to be "on" for the better part of the time wore me out. I ended up getting sick and it took about a week to get over that. Even now I don't really want to be around anyone except my husband. That, of course, does not work since we have four kids and my mom is living with us -- plus the dogs, cats, and chickens, and bored neighbor kids who seem to want to move in. I love them all -- especially my kids -- and I feel bad for being withdrawn, but I've got nothing.

I'm trying to eat carefully and get some moderate exercise and lots of rest while not letting the household stuff get completely out of hand. I'm not answering my phone much and I'm spending a lot of time reading in my room.

Saturday I've got a day trip with my daughter's girl scout troop, so I have to get rested up or I will be useless.

IOW, I don't handle it well, but my husband and kids know how I am and most everyone else wouldn't understand if I told them anyway, so . . . *shrug*

Starry

Hello Everyone.

I am slightly nervous posting on this thread because I am 'off on my sleep patterns/sleep deprived'...and am seemingly unable to gauge whether what I want to contribute is meaningful...or even relevant. So please forgive me if a whole bunch of question marks appear over your head if reading :blush:

All I really wanted to say is one of the best times I have ever had was when I took a vacation by myself to the Red Sea. ((I should say that I was already in that part of the world living with 6 other people - I didn't take a solo vacation there from the States)). And I very much look forward to my next 'by myself' vacation.

I am aware that 'extraversion' encompasses far more than an individual's desire for social interaction versus 'alone time'. But I have always out-withdrawn, out-introverted...all of the introverts in my life. Nevertheless, whether an individual is E or I...I think everyone should vacation alone.

I have noticed some added benefits too. When you want to 'withdraw'...suddenly everyone and their brother becomes concerned. I often get more calls when I am in my 'withdrawn state' then I do when I'm 'present'. But a vacation is considered positive...'hey - have a great time!'. Likewise I don't feel guilty that I'm not answering my phone or returning calls or emails, etc. No one stops by. I'm on vacation!

I know it is not an entirely practical solution in the sense that I can't take a vacation everytime I have a desire to withdraw, quiet the noise, get into my own head, rediscover who I am, etc. Likewise, I know many females that do not feel entirely comfortable travelling alone. But if a person can find an inexpensive cabin to rent that is only an hours drive a way...? It is so nice to be alone and on no one else's schedule.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello Everyone.

I am slightly nervous posting on this thread because I am 'off on my sleep patterns/sleep deprived'...and am seemingly unable to gauge whether what I want to contribute is meaningful...or even relevant. So please forgive me if a whole bunch of question marks appear over your head if reading :blush:

All I really wanted to say is one of the best times I have ever had was when I took a vacation by myself to the Red Sea. ((I should say that I was already in that part of the world living with 6 other people - I didn't take a solo vacation there from the States)). And I very much look forward to my next 'by myself' vacation.

I am aware that 'extraversion' encompasses far more than an individual's desire for social interaction versus 'alone time'. But I have always out-withdrawn, out-introverted...all of the introverts in my life. Nevertheless, whether an individual is E or I...I think everyone should vacation alone.

I have noticed some added benefits too. When you want to 'withdraw'...suddenly everyone and their brother becomes concerned. I often get more calls when I am in my 'withdrawn state' then I do when I'm 'present'. But a vacation is considered positive...'hey - have a great time!'. Likewise I don't feel guilty that I'm not answering my phone or returning calls or emails, etc. No one stops by. I'm on vacation!

I know it is not an entirely practical solution in the sense that I can't take a vacation everytime I have a desire to withdraw, quiet the noise, get into my own head, rediscover who I am, etc. Likewise, I know many females that do not feel entirely comfortable travelling alone. But if a person can find an inexpensive cabin to rent that is only an hours drive a way...? It is so nice to be alone and on no one else's schedule.

Alone holidays can be really great! For some people, the mere thought is too boring/uncool to even stomach. But some of my best trips have been alone. Mind you, I think I have less tolerance for extended alone travelling than I used to. When I was 23 I travelled in Wales alone for ten days and there were days at a time when I spoke to no one, or barely. And I loved it. (There were a few other days when I saw quite a few people and then the very cool day when I went up Mt Snowdon with a couple of random Israeli guys who were so nice!).

But now, I just do the occasional weekend away alone. Those are usually short city breaks (easy to do in Europe) and I love just taking in things my own way, for a few days, at whatever pace I choose, chilling out in cafes or hitting lots of museums and galleries, whatever. But...in the evenings, unless I've got a great book or something else to do, I get kind of bored and a little sad. So a few days is really enough and sometimes more than enough.

If I "withdraw," it's more likely to be at home, really. My favourite trips these days are actually the ones which involve visiting friends who live in far-off or exotic places - two birds with one stone, I guess :)

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am going, alone, to Toronto in the winter. I have always been attracted to Ontario in general. I live right across the bridge and it's a 4 hour drive.... for some reason, I think this is where I'll end up living for the rest of my earthly life.