• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Common INFJ issues

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That is true. But I think that if we expand this to how do INFJs best learn to communicate with every type, it is also going to cover too vast a range of stuff to follow. Therefore, my proposal is that we start a separate thread for that (which I think would be equally valuable). My intent in starting this thread was for INFJs to compare their experiences and most common issues that come up or for those coming in to figure out where the differences lie when they are communicating with them. I think this thread even illustrates the usefulness of learning about the other half of communication, but deserves enough room to properly discuss it!

Keps Mnemnosyne

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Mm
I have to agree with Peguy; I have a saying if you come into my room uninvited without crying, you'll leave crying. Overly dramatic and not done, but it does symbolize my intense need for privacy unless someone is having an emergency and needs my help. Saying "I just wanted to say hello" does not count as an emergency. I tend to be very disgruntled if people come uninvited, and will quickly usher (without trying to hurt feelings) them out to a more public area where I can deal with them. When I'm being private, I'm in an off mode of dealing with people and in an on mode of enjoying myself as well as thinking. I will tend not to answer phone calls and just listen to messages and judge whether I need to break silence and call them back immediately or if they can wait till the next day.

To Fidelia: A good point.

S

Sniffles

What's worse is when it continously hinders your abilities to work. And I just mention about the irregularity of work habits, so when your mind is in the perfect state for it - you can't do it.

To help give a clearer idea of what I talking about, here's video of one INFJ at work in his study:
[youtube="MvEUfkavvSI"]Warning: INFJ at work![/youtube]
You can literally hear a pin drop. You can also see how things are haphazardly organized "in the right place". This is the kind of enviroment I'd thrive in!

Starry

You can only let it all hang out once you have some positive history and some time spent with the people you are discussing things with (at least in my experience, and I suspect, other INFJs' as well). In real life you don't start making over your acquaintances (who already have a poor first impression) and telling them how to behave. I am almost never this direct with someone, but there were already previous discussion about these issues and they were completely ignored and left unaddressed. That's a sure way to raise hackles.

Like I indicated - I have read the Wench's posts. I have read your responses (in more than one thread...some even started by ENFPs).

I am only sharing my opinion here - but it does seem like you are accusing the Wench of 'doing'...what you are actually 'doing'.

When I read her posts I see an individual that is making broad, generalized statements. Perhaps she doesn't present her ideas in a way that you or maybe anyone would find appealing...but being a forceful communicator does not automatically make the message a judgemental one.

What I get from you, however, are very specific statements directed at her and her character. In your last response, you really let her have it...basically telling the Wench what you and apparently every other INFJ on the face of the planet (you may have even spoken on behalf of her INFJ friend as well - or at least that is how it came across in my mind) 'think of her'.

It just really effected me. I had been on vacation and catching up...and was so inspired by this thread and all the profound insights. And then it seemed like things went off-track here (for me). But...I'm just one of those clueless ENFPs so what do I know...right? Heck - I don't even have enough positive history to even matter.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Welcome here, Starry Knights. I'm sorry to have alarmed you. I like ENFPs. I have no interest in devastating or attacking anyone. I don't have anything personal against Esoteric Wench. If the tables were turned, I would be the one that would have to change my style of communication.

In this context, I don't think that is what is called for. This didn't come out of nowhere. If you are told that there are bears ahead, you don't keep going down the same path unless you want to deal with the possibly negative consequences. Just repeating that there shouldn't be bears won't change things.

Again, I think this is an issue of the medium mattering just as much as the message (in this case a forceful presentation, even if some points are valid), as well as Fe/Fi (fitting in, and looking for common ground are generally the starting points for a productive discussion with a Fe user. They are not in the same starting points as a Fi user would pursue). So if I were approaching a Fi user, I would need to communicate differently than I do here.)

I would greatly appreciate an ENFP starting a similar kind of thread, because I would like to understand where our misunderstandings arise from that perspective. I normally would not pursue this kind of conflict, but I see it happen on a regular basis throughout the forum and think it is worth investigating, as long as it is not done in a non-solution oriented way. I have tried to make it very clear where I think things have gone off the rails from an INFJ or Fe perspective. I also have tried to be specific about what could be done differently that could avoid that happening. If someone else cares to start a thread for ENFPs, I think it would be extremely helpful to know what I/we do that is equally problematic coming from the opposite direction.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
What's worse is when it continously hinders your abilities to work. And I just mention about the irregularity of work habits, so when your mind is in the perfect state for it - you can't do it.

To help give a clearer idea of what I talking about, here's video of one INFJ at work in his study:
You can literally hear a pin drop. You can also see how things are haphazardly organized "in the right place". This is the kind of enviroment I'd thrive in!

The desk looks familiar to me - orderly mess. The quietness thing though is something else. I find I like a little noise around me to keep me productive! Interesting how many different types within our main type there are!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Why is it always you making me quesition my P... :alttongue: :D
I'm not a very J-ish J. :laugh:
Like I indicated - I have read the Wench's posts. I have read your responses (in more than one thread...some even started by ENFPs).

I am only sharing my opinion here - but it does seem like you are accusing the Wench of 'doing'...what you are actually 'doing'.

When I read her posts I see an individual that is making broad, generalized statements. Perhaps she doesn't present her ideas in a way that you or maybe anyone would find appealing...but being a forceful communicator does not automatically make the message a judgemental one.

What I get from you, however, are very specific statements directed at her and her character. In your last response, you really let her have it...basically telling the Wench what you and apparently every other INFJ on the face of the planet (you may have even spoken on behalf of her INFJ friend as well - or at least that is how it came across in my mind) 'think of her'.

It just really effected me. I had been on vacation and catching up...and was so inspired by this thread and all the profound insights. And then it seemed like things went off-track here (for me). But...I'm just one of those clueless ENFPs so what do I know...right? Heck - I don't even have enough positive history to even matter.
In Fidilia's defense, I find that EW's posting style almost universally and consistently rubs me the wrong way in an extreme way and has since she started posting here. It feels extremely condescending and overbearing -- like someone trying to fix you without actually trying to understand what the problem is and when you didn't ask to be fixed. I honestly don't know anyone IRL or online that doesn't find the pushy offering of unsolicited advice obnoxious and that is generally how EW comes across.

It feels like a stranger knocking on your door when you weren't expecting company, pushing their way past you into your living room, plopping down on your sofa, putting their feet on the coffee table with their shoes on, picking up the remote and changing the channel, demanding that you get them something to drink then complaining about the color of your curtains, telling you that your sofa is uncomfortable, and that the lemonade you brought them isn't any good, telling you to pipe down because they are trying to hear Doctor Phil, and getting really indignant and offended when you say you don't like it.

I don't find all Fi communicators abrasive -- only a handful, really, so I'm not sure how the problem is best addressed. I don't think this is the thread in which to do it, however. I like the idea of a new thread if this is going to be a big topic of discussion.

S

Sniffles

The desk looks familiar to me - orderly mess. The quietness thing though is something else. I find I like a little noise around me to keep me productive! Interesting how many different types within our main type there are!

Well I often like music too, Classical usually, or soft relaxing stuff in the background. Although if that's not possible, complete silence would be just as good for me. I love it when I can find that at the library - IF I can find it. :rolli:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm not a very J-ish J. :laugh:

In Fidilia's defense, I find that EW's posting style almost universally and consistently rubs me the wrong way in an extreme way and has since she started posting here. It feels extremely condescending and overbearing -- like someone trying to fix you without actually trying to understand what the problem is and when you didn't ask to be fixed. I honestly don't know anyone IRL or online that doesn't find the pushy offering of unsolicited advice obnoxious and that is generally how EW comes across.

It feels like a stranger knocking on your door when you weren't expecting company, pushing their way past you into your living room, plopping down on your sofa, putting their feet on the coffee table with their shoes on, picking up the remote and changing the channel, demanding that you get them something to drink then complaining about the color of your curtains, telling you that your sofa is uncomfortable, and that the lemonade you brought them isn't any good, telling you to pipe down because they are trying to hear Doctor Phil, and getting really indignant and offended when you say you don't like it.

I don't find all Fi communicators abrasive -- only a handful, really, so I'm not sure how the problem is best addressed. I don't think this is the thread in which to do it, however. I like the idea of a new thread if this is going to be a big topic of discussion.

I agree. While I am more likely to have problems communicating with Fi users than Fe users, it certainly isn't most of them.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4

I would need the music on, off, on, off, on, off. And not to mention garbage around me. Lots of good beverages and food. Being organized won't help me do much good, in fact being organized seems quite messy to me. I don't like it dirty, but messy yes.

My apartment is plain blank white boring with no pictures on the walls no nothing,, to say I was to live in house with multiple colors, pictures and paintings on the walls, lots of weird shit everywhere, I'd feel as if I was high on something. And that's the best working area for me.

Ps. I do not have A.D.D. or A.D.H.D. but it's pretty darn close.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have fallen behind on this thread like a few people.. 21%, the amount of oxygen in our atmosphere.
It seems my post and your response have had an effect on people.
I am glad our struggles and connections can inspire,teach and move others.

I find your post fascinating as well as touching.
This whole thread has me in knots.

I am stuck in the middle. I do see me and my partners as two separate entities, but also as one.
You simply cannot love me or be loved by me if there isn't some sort of merge.
But can connection be 100% "on" all the time? As INFJs you must understand the need for individuality, time out and inner workings and landscapes that are yours and yours alone?
If it is important to "us", then you are a part of it already. You are not kept out of the loop for any reason other than you should not be burdened by our demons.
If the INFJ tries to get those demons to the surface, as mine did. literally, all hell breaks loose.
I guess my INFJ tried to force the issue. I myself was unaware how not a good idea that was.
You can't save us. You can't change us. Ok well part of that is wrong. You have already saved us by loving us and by loving us you have already changed us.
But to encourage us to battle our demons when we are not ready to battle them will have detrimental effects.
You plant a seed and a flower grows. If once it starts sprouting, you pull on it trying to make it bloom faster, you simply pull a premature bud from it's grounding and it dies.

So I guess what I am saying is. You see a blue light.. and that to you is what you want us to be. But the merge will create it's own unique color that is ONLY ours. While you strive to keep everything in the Blue , we are left wondering why you are not seeing how remarkably beautiful this unique color is and why its forsaken for something more common.
You want me to be happy, I want US to be happy. our happiness is US, and its beam is independent from all other beams, and to try and make it a color it's not, is how you break the connection you so desperately want.

It seems to me it's 2 people who very much want the same thing.. but come at it from different directions. where one pulls the other pushes and likewise.

This is where I get lost.

The bolded part I understand very well. My relationship has been a huge learning process for me and one of the most surprising things is that what seems natural and normal to me is completely foreign to him and vice versa. I was totally caught by surprise when my INFP said to me, "I appreciate your concern, but you don't have to fix everything. It's all right to be sad."

I realize there is a huge gap in our understanding. Like I've said somewhere before, I feel that INFPs are like a mirror image of myself. I can recognize myself in you, and we can see that we are so similar, but my right is your left, my left is your right. This makes the dance much harder than it looks in the first place.

So as not to stray too far from the topic, I will stick to what Fe (at least for INFJs) does and why Fe relationships end. The basic thing is: Fe needs that constant exchanging of emotional energy, or it shrivels and dies.

Because of its merging nature, Fe needs constant communication. Like a river, it comes from somewhere, and it goes somewhere. Everyone's feelings are connected. Also like a river, when it goes to dry land, it tries to work its way through, to moisten it. Its perfect vision is to bring life to it, and little by little the grass grows, and a forest grows, and the dry land is not dry anymore. Finally, with a forest there, it rains. The rain fills the river and the river can continue to flow more to the land. On the other hand, if the river perceives that there is no hope for the land, meaning that the grass won't grow, and whatever effort it puts in seem to go through the cracks in the ground and disappears, it gets disheartened. If this persists for a long time it dries up for good.

Fi is like a deep well. We truly admire the fact that your feelings are pure and true and, at least compared to ours, unaffected by the environment. We truly admire that Fi love can hang on for years and years and years even when there is no hope. There doesn't have to be rainfall to replenish it. However, coming from our perspective, we don't know what is there in your deep well. In the end, we don't even know if there is water in there. This, together with the changing nature of Fi -- you want one thing one moment and another thing the next -- scares us. We have no idea what you are thinking about, what you want, what you are really like inside. Sometimes we feel like we don't really know you. Who is it that comes out once in a while with all those wonderful qualities, deep, caring, sensitive? Is it the same person as the one who shuts us out without warning and leaves us in the dark? When we perceive no consistency, we cannot be sure that what we have is really good. We can't even be sure about what we have at all. This scares us to the core and as time goes on we are convinced that it will not work.

Going back to the light analogy, if we cannot keep the 'us beam' blue, or whatever color we both have decided is good for us (which, with INFPs, most of the time we have not even decided on the color we want in the first place -- and most likely we will decide for you, because we cannot NOT focus on a color, and which you might not like), we get confused, we panic, we feel like we are doing something wrong. We feel like a failure and that it's our fault that we cannot make you happy. Then we despair. Over all this time, with all the effort, all the caring, we feel unappreciated, unloved.

This is why good communication is the key. Give us something. We need a sense of direction. Sometimes it helps to be able to tell us objectively what it is all about. Let us know there is water in the well even when we cannot see it, and that it will not dry overnight. A river flows constantly. The only time it doesn't is when it gives up. For us, when we don't feel the water, we think you have given up, and we try to figure out what we have done wrong to make you withdraw your love so easily.

The thing is, we need the very thing that might feel intrusive to you. We are reassured when you let us in on your problems, when you tell us what you want from us. Explaining to us how you don't need for something to be a certain way helps a lot more than you think. When you feel we are intruding, tell us.

The difference between J and P is that being a J, we want at least one color on the wall that we can work towards. You, on the other hand, don't mind if it keeps changing. We feel that the changing colors are too confusing, because we orient ourselves to the color we see on the wall. Too much change and we feel like we are constantly being tossed around in a whirlwind and we feel very uneasy and restless. For you, one color seems too constricting. You feel trapped, caged. The whole thing feels forced. At the very core, I think the only way for an Fe/Fi relationship to work out is to be able to find that balance, that middle-ground between stillness and movement. Find a range of shades you can both live with and within that range let the colors shift.

So, you need a whole lot of adjustments on both sides. Communication is everything. So far, in this relationship, sometimes the only way I can get through to him is to drop all my defenses and lay bare my soul for him to see. It takes a lot of courage, as I become completely vulnerable. But that's my leap of faith -- faith that he will catch me and not let me fall.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
OK, this thread is completely overwhelming me right now. Posts that I need to respond to are being made so fast… far faster than my ability to emotionally process them.

So I ask for everyone’s patience. But in the interim, it seems like a good time to call a (hopefully brief) time out. I wanted to point out a couple of things that are deliberately off topic… in part to help me (and perhaps others) regroup so we can return with a fresh, better perspective re: this thread.

Fact #1
I think it’s so easy to forget that people on this forum are more than avatars and user names. They have jobs and kids and pets. So I decided to find out more about Fidelia.

Fidelia is obviously a very special person. Seriously. And, I don’t say this lightly. I’ve spent a little time getting to know Fidelia over the past hour by checking out her previous posts. (Yep, I woke up in the middle of the night due to aforementioned processing.) This was no small task because she has over 4,000 of them at the time of this posting. I would characterize her posts as thoughtful, earnest, and intelligent. Oh yeah… and voluminous, but that’s OK. I write voluminously, too. ;)

And, I’ve been checking out her pictures, too. I loved looking at her pictures. For the record, I wanted to say that Fidelia is a very beautiful woman with stunning, highly communicative eyes.

Also, I respect her commitment to “live her life in service.” (This is an old Southernism that you still hear in my neck of the woods.) She’s a moderator on this forum. (I have no idea how this works, but my guess is that this is a formal time commitment.) And, she is a French teacher. Helping others is an important value to me, too, which is why I try to serve my community through volunteer work.

So in keeping with this sentiment, I’m temporarily changing my avatar picture to my real picture. So you guys can also see what I look like. Note that I used Photoshop to remove the horns and pitchfork. :devil:

Fact #2
I absolutely hate confrontation and it stresses me out. But I’ve also learned that confrontation can be a positive thing. (Thank you INTJ mother and ENTP father… from whence I got my k*ickass Te.)

So while I find any sort of confrontational overtones on this thread personally distressing, it’s also true that I’ve learned a lot from the confrontation on this thread… and judging from the amount of processing I still have to do, I’m going to learn a lot more.

Fact #3
A lot of talk on this thread has been about the differences between Fe and Fi. But my intuition tells me that's only a small part of the story. I’ve never seen it thoroughly discussed on this forum, but I think that ENFPs with strong Te and INFJs with strong Ti tend to rub each other the wrong way. I’m not sure exactly what’s going on here, but my gut tells me that these INFJ/ENFP tertiary functions are feeding this miscommunication…. Because it is obvious to me that we have a whole bunch of good, smart, well-intentioned people on this thread talking right past each other.

ENFP — Ne > Fi > Te > Si
INFJ — Ni > Fe > Ti > Se​

Seems like both INFJs and ENFPs use their tertiary Thinking function to protect themselves when they perceive their auxiliary Feeling function is threatened. But the form of this “protection” is very different in all the ways that Te and Ti are different. Look at these two descriptions from CognitiveProcesses.com:

Extraverted Thinking (Te) – ENFP’s Tertiary Function
Contingency planning, scheduling, and quantifying utilize the process of extraverted Thinking. Extraverted Thinking helps us organize our environment and ideas through charts, tables, graphs, flow charts, outlines, and so on. At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively. Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone’s ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else’s thought process. In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone else’s logic, sequence, or organization. It also helps us notice when something is missing, like when someone says he or she is going to talk about four topics and talks about only three. In general, it allows us to compartmentalize many aspects of our lives so we can do what is necessary to accomplish our objectives.

Introverted Thinking (Ti) – INFJ’s Tertiary Function
Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a “leverage point” that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what’s observed.

(Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that I completely cracked up when I read the part that talked about how Te is involved in organizing information very much in the way that I try to organize my longer posts so they are logical and sequential including bullet points and interstitials. :smile: Damn it. I feel like such a prisoner of my genetic fate sometimes.)

OK, I’ve got to get back to my IRL activities. But before I go, I wanted to share one of my favorite quotes that I hope Fidelia will appreciate. (Because it is a renowned French quote. I first learned French when I lived in France for several years in my youth.) I think it speaks to my worldview, and somehow applies to this thread. Maybe it explains in ways that I am unable, my shameless, forthright style of writing:

"Il faut toujours jouer AVEC et non pas SELON les règles parce qu'une vie sans danger ce n'est pas une vie." (One must always play WITH the rules and not BY the rules, because a life without danger is not a life at all.) – Nancy Huston from Lignes de Faille​

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
You can only let it all hang out once you have some positive history and some time spent with the people you are discussing things with (at least in my experience, and I suspect, other INFJs' as well). In real life you don't start making over your acquaintances (who already have a poor first impression) and telling them how to behave without expecting that they will react negatively. Telling them then that their problem is their perception would not win the person over to your way of thinking. Just because this is an internet forum and the medium is written rather than verbal communication doesn't change how you go about approaching people if you want a positive result. I am almost never this direct with someone, but there were already previous discussions about these issues which were completely ignored and left unaddressed while Esoteric persisted in the very behaviour that was getting her into trouble in the first place. That's a sure way to raise hackles.

Actually, this problem is interesting. I've noticed it elsewhere on the forum and in real life too. I think it might be a Fe/Fi difference. My theory is that Fe needs the initial problem to be acknowledged and worked out before it can go on. Fi is more likely to take note that there was a problem, but prefer not to hash it out together. I've tried to go back and fix things with Fi people that I've had misunderstandings with and found that it only made things worse. Whereas for me, I cannot start fresh with them unless I think that they have understood what went wrong and we've worked out how to prevent it. Fe seems to be more about prevention, whereas Fi seems more about reactive as things come up. Does this sound accurate to the rest of you? EJCC was just talking about something similar being a source of misunderstanding. I don't know if Fe/Fi is the key, but I think it might be. Seems to hold true for my ISTJ dad. Kind of that what's done is done and there's no point talking about it.
Good morning!

Is Esoteric Wench really in trouble? I guess it's possible she is with you.
Have you considered that this is something more personal?
I myself, have never seen you so short and frustrated with anyone.
Also I know because you have told me, that Fi can "trip you up" that I am now wondering if you are reaching a point prejudice towards it?
I see you struggle with Fi from time to time. But It does not seem to be a common issue with most other Fe users.
These are not accusations but maybe just points to ponder.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
23 ) INFJs always write bad things about themselves, they could be more badass and accept more often that noone gets perfect, if he's not badass sometimes :)

sculpting

In Fidilia's defense, I find that EW's posting style almost universally and consistently rubs me the wrong way in an extreme way and has since she started posting here. It feels extremely condescending and overbearing -- like someone trying to fix you without actually trying to understand what the problem is and when you didn't ask to be fixed.

You are feeling her Te. Te can feel very arrogant, blunt, and direct, especially to a strong Fe user. It will feel as though it is skipping over subtle nuances, as Te searches for the most pressing problem in the vicinity-then tackles it in the most expedient way possible. It isnt about a precise Ti solution with Fe gentle edges. (Esoteric is a beautiful example of a mature well balanced ENFP who can use both Fi and Te effectively)

Think of ENFPs as being the middle management of Fi-we are the ESTJs of how to deal with Fi problems. Our rules are to provide simple, efficient, Te style solutions to reach an emotional resolution quickly to resolve the pain of those around us.

I am almost never this direct with someone, but there were already previous discussions about these issues which were completely ignored and left unaddressed while Esoteric persisted in the very behaviour that was getting her into trouble in the first place. That's a sure way to raise hackles.

Actually, this problem is interesting. I've noticed it elsewhere on the forum and in real life too. I think it might be a Fe/Fi difference. My theory is that Fe needs the initial problem to be acknowledged and worked out before it can go on. Fi is more likely to take note that there was a problem, but prefer not to hash it out together. I've tried to go back and fix things with Fi people that I've had misunderstandings with and found that it only made things worse. Whereas for me, I cannot start fresh with them unless I think that they have understood what went wrong and we've worked out how to prevent it. Fe seems to be more about prevention, whereas Fi seems more about reactive as things come up. Does this sound accurate to the rest of you? EJCC was just talking about something similar being a source of misunderstanding. I don't know if Fe/Fi is the key, but I think it might be. Seems to hold true for my ISTJ dad. Kind of that what's done is done and there's no point talking about it.

Fidelia your Ti is showing. (It's kinda sexy!! heheh)

Fi seeks an affirmation that it is okay to have a feeling, then seeks a Te solution. Your frustration could be you really want to explore the Fe subtleties of the problem-which may sound like you are repeating the same issue again and again to the Fe-blind. I would think "Hmmm, yes, I know you feel this way..okay what Te action items can we implement to prevent this from happening again?" We dont need to keep rehashing the emo over and over again.

Fi is exceptionally reactive in ENFPs. It should be so and is part of what we are. We learn to use that internal reactivity productively as part of maturity. Other Fi users seems to have some level of Fi reactivity but process through different perceiving functions.

My ENTP keeps asking me (looking for insight on her ISTJ husband) "Tell me what it is you will need emotionally on Thusrday, in two weeks, in a month..." I just stare at her confused. How do I know what I will be feeling then? Fi is, perhaps like Ti, in the moment.

The basic thing is: Fe needs that constant exchanging of emotional energy, or it shrivels and dies.

This is the Fe mirroring I was asking about Fidelia. I see Fe being exchanged between ENTPs and INFJs-like the INFJs can enhance the ENTP Fe. Just like I can make IXTJs more aware of their own internal Fi.

The only way to develop a function is to use it. Perhaps for the Tert F users, part of the first steps in using it is to have some other person fan the flame a bit...I dunno.

Fact #3
A lot of talk on this thread has been about the differences between Fe and Fi. But my intuition tells me that's only a small part of the story. I’ve never seen it thoroughly discussed on this forum, but I think that ENFPs with strong Te and INFJs with strong Ti tend to rub each other the wrong way. I’m not sure exactly what’s going on here, but my gut tells me that these INFJ/ENFP tertiary functions are feeding this miscommunication…. Because it is obvious to me that we have a whole bunch of good, smart, well-intentioned people on this thread talking right past each other.

ENFP — Ne > Fi > Te > Si
INFJ — Ni > Fe > Ti > Se​

(Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that I completely cracked up when I read the part that talked about how Te is involved in organizing information very much in the way that I try to organize my longer posts so they are logical and sequential including bullet points and interstitials. :smile: Damn it. I feel like such a prisoner of my genetic fate sometimes.)

Esoteric, i too love bullets and numbering. tehehehehe! :yes: We have baby ESTJs hiding inside of us.

Do INFJs really protect the aux function? ENFPs most certainly do protect Fi. But Fe is how they interact with the world-like we use Te or Ne.

INFJs are you really more protective of Ni perhaps? This is a question, not an assertion.

Based on my invasive, endless dissection of the poor ENTPs last year, I think you are seeing a clash between Te and Fe some in this thread via tone. We cannot see the unspoken Fe, and they read in unspoken things to our Te. The core disagreement may stem from Fi:Fe misunderstandings though.

I actually get along fine with the INFJs I know-as I only have Te:Ti interactions with them. I never invite them into my Fi world. I seem to nullify the Fe for some reason. Same thing with ISFJs.

sculpting

Fi is like a deep well. We truly admire the fact that your feelings are pure and true and, at least compared to ours, unaffected by the environment. We truly admire that Fi love can hang on for years and years and years even when there is no hope. There doesn't have to be rainfall to replenish it. However, coming from our perspective, we don't know what is there in your deep well. In the end, we don't even know if there is water in there. This, together with the changing nature of Fi -- you want one thing one moment and another thing the next -- scares us. We have no idea what you are thinking about, what you want, what you are really like inside.

21% your posts are amazingly beautiful. I feel like in trying to talk about them it may seem as though I skip all of the deep rivers of love, caring, the richness and insight. I very much can see and feel it but I really cant find words to talk about it that convey what I feel...it remains unspoken...just wanted to let you know.

moving on to Te...it seems as though you are using Fe to provide consistency to your world. I use Te to provide consistency to my world. Its funny as Fi is totally inconsistent from hour to hour-yet as you also said-it loves steadfastly forever.

From a jungian perspective I'd suggest you are seeing those long term memories-the love forever-are due to Fi being used with Si. The endless fluctations and flutters are Fi being used with Ne. I try and tell my ENTP friend, that I may look terribly erratically emo at times, but my core is exceptionally solid and grounded. The Si is a concrete fixture even in times of great Ne chaos. Once the storm passes the Si foundation has held true. So I can be venomously angry at someone, yet understand underneath that I will love them greatly once the storm is passed.

Hope that helps a little. You and archlight are both such beautiful people inside. I learn a lot about emo, just by reading your posts.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
You are feeling her Te. Te can feel very arrogant, blunt, and direct, especially to a strong Fe user. It will feel as though it is skipping over subtle nuances, as Te searches for the most pressing problem in the vicinity-then tackles it in the most expedient way possible. It isnt about a precise Ti solution with Fe gentle edges. (Esoteric is a beautiful example of a mature well balanced ENFP who can use both Fi and Te effectively)

Think of ENFPs as being the middle management of Fi-we are the ESTJs of how to deal with Fi problems. Our rules are to provide simple, efficient, Te style solutions to reach an emotional resolution quickly to resolve the pain of those around us.
I could respect it if it was something that had been asked for. But she does it when it's not asked for and continues to push it even when it's been explained that that isn't what is wanted at this time. That makes it feel like she isn't listening, but is rather invalidating my experiences and feelings in an effort to push her own agenda at all costs. There is no give and take. No negotiation. So the reaction she gets is a mirror of how she is making me (and possibly other INFJs that react badly to her) feel.

Until we feel heard and understood, it's really hard to move onto the solution because we don't believe that she has any idea what the actual problem is. It's as if, because she has a hammer, everything looks like a nail to her.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I could respect it if it was something that had been asked for. But she does it when it's not asked for and continues to push it even when it's been explained that that isn't what is wanted at this time. That makes it feel like she isn't listening, but is rather invalidating my experiences and feelings in an effort to push her own agenda at all costs. There is no give and take. No negotiation. So the reaction she gets is a mirror of how she is making me (and possibly other INFJs that react badly to her) feel.

Until we feel heard and understood, it's really hard to move onto the solution because we don't believe that she has any idea what the actual problem is. It's as if, because she has a hammer, everything looks like a nail to her.

Being heard and understood is nice to have, but hearing and understanding is even better.

What can often happen is that both sides are waiting for (their version of) being heard and understood by the other person, don't receive said confirmation, and thus keep talking past each other. The way past the "loop" is to improve one's own understanding and demonstrate that understanding to the other person. Then the other person feels understood, so one has a real chance of being heard and understood, in turn.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Being heard and understood is nice to have, but hearing and understanding is even better.

What can often happen is that both sides are waiting for (their version of) being heard and understood by the other person, don't receive said confirmation, and thus keep talking past each other. The way past the "loop" is to improve one's own understanding and demonstrate that understanding to the other person. Then the other person feels understood, so one has a real chance of being heard and understood, in turn.
When someone is that obnoxious, I have little desire to make the effort. It's hard to understand how, if they find interacting with someone like me so impossible, they just won't leave the whole thing the heck alone. Bleh.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hey Orobas and Esoteric,

I think now we're getting somewhere! I need to mull over all the new ideas that you presented about the different functions being used, but I'm glad that you took the time to write them. Both of you had a lot of useful points to make that I think I buy. Now it's just a matter of deciding what to do with them in varying types of circumstances.

Esoteric - I'm sorry for the personal distress that I may have caused you. Things are okay from my end. I guess normally my response would be to just back off and not say anything. However, because this thread was about why these kind of clashes happen, I felt like it was worth investigating further. I am aware of what I did that strengthened the hurt you felt at being misunderstood and I'm sorry for that. It's not so much that I was even all that emotionally invested (which probably seems worse!), but it felt like I wasn't being heard or acknowledged, which is the first step to getting an INFJ to respond positively. With each subsequent time it came up, I got shorter and shorter to be sure that the point wasn't missed. You were seeing the point, but were trying to work on a solution. For me, it would require discussing what exactly the problem was first (making sure that we both were seeing the same thing and that nothing important had been missed - it appeared to me like you were missing information but wanting to get on with the solution prematurely). Anyway, as uncomfortable as that probably was for you, I am glad that it happened. Interestingly enough, as I read your post today, I didn't find myself digging in my heels in the same way. Your approach was somewhat different and therefore your message was something I became more interested in hearing.

I'm guessing that if there were to be a problem in reverse, it would mostly stem from those occasions where the ENFP felt the INFJ was not accepting them for who they are. Until that feeling was in place, they similarly would not feel much progress being made in a discussion. Is this right? (Hence our talk yesterday of INFJs needing to change their perception).

21% - You've expressed much of what I've seen going on between INFPs and INFJs but have never put into words. Thanks for letting us all benefit from your first-hand experience.

Arclight - No, I don't think it was a personal thing and EW is most certainly not in trouble. I understand why Fi is an essential and valuable function, so it's not that I have it in for those who use it extensively! You are not likely to experience any ricocheting bullets if you come out! On occasion, I just don't see the thought process that takes a Fi user somewhere and so do better if they can help describe it to me so that I don't step on their toes at times. What confuses me is that it's only a very small handful of Fi users that I seem to run into troubles with and even that is not all the time. In this case, I believe that Te probably is a plausible explanation. Cafe expressed in an extreme way a bit of how I was feeling last night. Not personally angry, but surprised that EW was not seeing where the approach was preventing her from being heard. (While she of course needed to feel that I wasn't ascribing the worst of motives to her or expecting her to be a certain way on my terms).