• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Common INFJ issues

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I agree that would be the way to go. It is important to assess whether both people have what it takes right then to provide the building blocks for a successful and healthy relationship. I wish that people had in mind before what that requires and what it is/is not when they see it. Someone who is a great person may not be prepared at that time in their life to be the kind of partner they are needed to be.

I expect the bitterness comes in when the INFJ has given up a lot to make it work and figures that maybe they've burned some bridges or if they feel that the other person wasn't up front from the start about those problems. Maturity level and security also plays into it.

I don't think I'm generally very angry and vindictive, so you're right that it seems foreign. I met an INFP once with qualities that were wonderful and whom I had grown to care deeply for, but he was wading through all kinds of unresolved stuff (finances, addiction, previous relationships having failed, child whom he couldn't see, choice of friends, business failing) and we ended up going our separate ways before it really came to anything. It was fortunate I was leaving town when I was, or I think it would have been hard to resist the temptation to want to help save him, or to enter a relationship that did not have the potential for success.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I agree that would be the way to go. I expect the bitterness comes in when the other person has given up a lot to make it work and figures that maybe they've burned some bridges or if they feel that the other person wasn't up front from the start about those problems. Maturity level and security also plays into it.

I don't think I'm generally very angry and vindictive, so you're right that it seems foreign. I met an INFP once with qualities that were wonderful and whom I had grown to care deeply for, but he was wading through all kinds of unresolved stuff (finances, addiction, previous relationships having failed, child whom he couldn't see, choice of friends, business failing) and we ended up going our separate ways before it really came to anything.

LOL
In the beginning I wasn't upfront and honest at all... and That really is the core of everything. I know that now.

But that is not what I find funny.. what I find funny is your INFP sounds like my INFJ..

You know for one brief moment my INFJ did say it was all bad timing and nothing else. Remembering that, I can take some small comfort that on some level she knows what is going on.
Nobody is hopeless.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Sorry, I edited again. (I have a bad habit of posting and then editing after).

Yeah, there are redeeming features in everyone.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Sorry, I edited again. (I have a bad habit of posting and then editing after).

Yeah, there are redeeming features in everyone.

Thats OK;).. I just take 12 hours to make a post.. it amounts to the same thing.. we are always thinking and uncovering new angles and never quite satisfied that we have expressed ourselves and articulated things just right.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I wonder if (at least part of) Esoteric’s understanding of “sacred cow” is actually just our need for consistency. If someone is behaving like X on Friday, then behaving like Y on Saturday, then on Saturday: we are more likely to say the person is X, whereas ExxPs will say the person is Y. And when the person behaves like W on Sunday: we’re likely to still be fusing X and Y together, where the ExxP will simply see W. Of course it’s going to look to them like we don’t listen well, or that we’re too slow with the uptake of information- we need more than simply the present moment of something being true to believe it. To believe something is ‘true’: we need it to be true today, yesterday, and every day before that, and incorporating past information is actually the ExxP blind spot (as much as incorporating new information can be our blind spot).

I had the same problem with the ENP I dated for several years. He’d tell me I wasn’t listening, and I’d point out to him that- whatever it was he wanted me to believe- it would need to be true for more than one afternoon in order for me to believe it. I can see how that would seem to him like I thought he was doing “something unacceptable in terms of <insert INFJ sacred cow here>”. I think it’s a drag for them to be tied down to past information, they want the freedom of brand new things being true.

I haven't been responding more to this thread because this stuff evokes such strong emotions from me that I find myself quickly getting overwhelmed. My solution has been to read a page of posts, then go off and process privately before coming back to this thread to respond. Let me begin by commenting on Z Buck McFate's post above. I literally choked up with emotion upon reading this post. Not because I was angry or sad, but because I was so overwhelmed by the Truth (that’s with a capital T) of it.

INFJs and ENFPs are Fantastic Foils

<Sigh.> INFJs and ENFPs are so alike and yet so different. And it is this strange juxtaposition of likeness and differences that attracts these personalities to each other and that causes friction between them.

This isn't surprising when you look at how our respective function hierarchies mirror each other.

ENFP — Ne > Fi > Te > Si
INFJ — Ni > Fe > Ti > Se

Both INFJs and ENFPs genuinely care about people. Both like to look at things from the 35,000 foot perspective. But there are differences, too.

When I used the term “sacred cow” in my original post (Click here to see the post that started the sh*t storm), it was not my intention to be flip or glib. (Although, I’m not above engaging in such hi-jinks to reduce tension when discussing an emotionally volatile subject.) I was merely trying to communicate a complex concept succinctly and accurately. And, I think it does this very well.

Sacred Cows are things too highly regarded to be open to criticism or curtailment. And from my ENFP side of the table, this phrase very accurately describes what I’ve seen going on with several INFJs in my acquaintance. Sometimes they are overly reluctant to re-examine their opinions or beliefs… to the point of obtuseness and sometimes even self-destructiveness.

Let me inoculate myself against accusations of ENFP hegemony, by saying that I am noting a blind spot in the ways INFJs see that world that can manifest itself in ways little and great, healthy and unhealthy.

INFJs are idiots. But that's OK. ENFPs are idiots, too.

But INFJs certainly have no monopoly on such foibles. Z Buck McFate was dead-on accurate when she spoke of how not incorporating past information into one's understanding in the present is an ENFP blind spot.

“[INFJs] need more than simply the present moment of something being true to believe it. To believe something is ‘true’: we need it to be true today, yesterday, and every day before that, and incorporating past information is actually the ExxP blind spot (as much as incorporating new information can be our blind spot).]” - Z Buck McFate

Ohhhhh Fidelia, Z Buck McFate, and any other INFJs I’ve pissed off on this forum…. Oh, if you only knew how this "blind spot" is simultaneously my greatest strength and my biggest weakness. And, perhaps it is why I’m sometimes in awe of my INFJ friends. They carry in them such a sense of continuity….. yes, that’s the word that perfectly describes it. Continuity.

Esoteric Wench's Struggle with Her Own Flagrant Idiocy

ENFPs sacrifice continuity in the name of new information acquisition. Ergo, INFJs sacrifice acquiring new information in the name of continuity. This is the major friction point between two personalities that otherwise have soooooo much in common.

One of the reasons I have talked so much about INFJs on this forum, is that I have come to believe that studying the strengths and weaknesses of one’s cognitive mirror can be a powerful technique in achieving self-enlightenment. Sometimes I can’t see my own blind spots. But I can see INFJs make the same mistakes I do, except in the opposite direction. This brings my own challenges into focus in a way that undercuts all the white noise that comes from knowing too much about my own life.

Z Buck McFate is very correct that I feel very little need to seek out consistency in what I do, how I think, or who I hang around which sometimes works for me and sometimes against me. Either way, this salient part of my personality is at the very essence of my uniquely ENFP gifts and flaws…. Just like seeking out consistency is part of the essence of what it is to be an INFJ.

So I’ve come to believe that the thing to strive for is BALANCE. I think of the words carved into the Temple of Apollo at the Oracle at Delphi: γνῶθι σεαυτόν (gnothi seauton = "know thyself") and μηδὲν ἄγαν (meden agan = "nothing in excess"). Truth and self-actualization lie in the middle path, without excess.

Nowhere are these truths more applicable than finding balance in our inherent tendency to choose one cognitive process over another. Our preferred cognitive preferences box us into a way of seeing the world that we are often unaware. Balance comes from strengthening our weaker preferences and limiting the excesses of our dominant preferences. In terms of Jungian Typology theory, the "middle path" comes from using the most appropriate cognitive process based on the needs of the situation, not just with what we are more comfortable.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I agree that INFJs tend to err on the side of continuity while ENFPs err on the side of constant change. If there's one thing that this forum illustrates, I believe it is that each type has tendancies that fall on one side or the other of the fence and that ideally, we shore up our weakness and capitalize on our strengths. As you said, BALANCE.

There's still something about this post though that bugs me. Underlying everything, it bothers me that I am left with the feeling that you believe you have things cased and therefore will give us advice. I still don't feel that you for sure understand everything you are seeing, which makes it seem presumptuous to give advice. I rarely would express these thoughts aloud, as it seems rude to me to do so. However, if we're talking about some of the sources of conflict that stem from our differing views of the world, I think maybe this is relevant. I don't think the issue is even so much the content, but again the medium for the message - things like the bolded points etc. I don't want to feel this way, but it is that kind of stuff that makes me want to dig in my heels and do the opposite, even when you have some good points to make.

blomiki

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
-
Guys, this is one seriously long post. But this last page is so interesting I might actually read the rest.

I'm dating an INFJ and finding descriptions of our dynamic has been fascinating. Does anyone know where I can find some more?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
There's a website that matches up each type and the potential concerns it may have. Can't remember the name of it but found it by googling XXXXs and XXXXs (You put in whichever letters you like best).

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Probably might be helpful to read the first page too, and see if any of it rings a bell for you.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I agree that INFJs tend to err on the side of continuity while ENFPs err on the side of constant change. If there's one thing that this forum illustrates, I believe it is that each type has tendancies that fall on one side or the other of the fence and that ideally, we shore up our weakness and capitalize on our strengths. As you said, BALANCE.

There's still something about this post though that bugs me. Underlying everything, it bothers me that I am left with the feeling that you believe you have things cased and therefore will give us advice. I still don't feel that you for sure understand everything you are seeing, which makes it seem presumptuous to give advice. I rarely would express these thoughts aloud, as it seems rude to me to do so. However, if we're talking about some of the sources of conflict that stem from our differing views of the world, I think maybe this is relevant. I don't think the issue is even so much the content, but again the medium for the message - things like the bolded points etc. I don't want to feel this way, but it is that kind of stuff that makes me want to dig in my heels and do the opposite, even when you have some good points to make.

Fid.. Can I ask something?

I feel somewhat similar to ES in ways and I see your points as well.

We have concluded that if you want to be heard, then the delivery is everything, right.?
Since it's a common cliche "It's not what you say but how you say it" I think we can conclude that this phenomena is not at all unique to any particular type, but a common thing for a lot of people.

It's something that comes naturally to me.. I am a communicator.. I will rarely toot my own horn on anything.. But I know this one strength, even if it is not perfect itself.
I rarely have complete communication breakdowns.
This is because I am quick to learn a person's communication style.
I am also very adaptable and will find a way to communicate even with the most difficult people.

I have hit walls with ENFPs on just about every level.
and I have hit walls with INFJs and perhaps even ESFJs on the medium issue.
It's not for lack of trying.. and I wonder if perhaps it has something to with what Zanzi said about consistency and things being true today like they were yesterday etc etc.. maybe you don't hear the new medium because you still remember the old medium? anyway that is neither here nor there right now..

What I want to ask is.. If you would share some insight into how I can better deliver a critical message without hurting the recipient.
INFJ style..
I thinks it's something a lot of people might find useful, not just me.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I can't speak for all INFJs, but I could give it a stab. Let me ruminate for a bit and I'll get back to you on that.

Off the very top of my head:

- We are best led by you commenting on what we did well or what you liked (praise of some sort).

- We seem to care a lot about how precisely the idea in your thoughts is expressed (shades of meaning in words etc).

- We'll need time to process it and then discuss it again with you.

- We may seem to reject your analysis at first and but often will think about what we reacted to and why, or will take some time to restructure things in our heads, or will want to clarify further.

- It matters incredibly that you hear us out and that we feel understood properly before you offer any opinions. This bleeds off extra emotion, clarifies and distills our own thoughts, gives us a chance to show what we have thought of or tried or what our intentions were/beliefs are etc. It will give you a lot more clues to work with and will help you avoid unnecessary landmines. Then you will not be dealing with an INFJ distracted from the point you are making by their own emotional noise (whether induced initially by the situation, or by your response afterwards).

- There also needs to be a track record of you consistently holding the same opinion and it being reliable if we are going to turn ourselves inside out like that.

- We are very impacted by how others view us, more than Fi users. This isn't because we don't have our own values. It's just that others' mirroring impacts our sense of how we fit into the larger picture and of whether what we are putting out there is being perceived correctly. Sometimes we will reject your opinion if it seems that you mirror back something completely different than we send out because we feel like you don't really understand us. Over time, with someone close to us though we may accept their opinion of us as truth even if it isn't accurate or is affected by their own insecurities. If it is accurate and it is negative, we will feel accutely embarrassed even in thought, let alone with someone observing or commenting on our reactions. Give us some space to ruminate and make it clear that you are only rejecting that behaviour, but not us.

- Usually it is better to start from the common ground you have with us, rather than pointing out the differences directly. Then, without saying "You need to", use lots of qualifiers (like we do) and say, "Have you ever thought about..." or "I need your help solving this problem..." This solicits a good intention and avoids getting our hackles up. Give specific examples of where you think something is not working well for us and what you see could be the solution. Then give us time to think it over and be prepared for more discussion.

- Don't say things while you are angry. If you feel this coming on, leave! It will create a lot of extra emotional noise for both the INFJ and then you to wade through before you can get back to the issue at hand. Also be careful about assuming that you know the INFJs motivations or intentions.

- Fe may feel really manipulative to you, but it really honestly not calculated, thought out or conniving to us. It makes us aware of the interconnections between people so we don't offend without meaning to as easily, and also gives a map for social interaction so that we and other Fe users anyway will not be distracted from your message. It may feel unnatural to use Fe, but it is necessarily to at least learn some scripting of it if you want us to be open to what you have to say, particularly if it is dicey.

This is hodge-podgy and in no particular order. I will think it over more and distill it down to something more useable.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Ok It seems pretty good to me, thank you!.. But if you want to distill it I would appreciate it.. I haven't absorbed it all. and I need to do my school work now.
So I will also come back to it..

Give us some space to ruminate and make it clear that you are only rejecting that behaviour, but not us.

This however is very important .. It practically leaped off the page at me.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think we're especially touchy about that since most of our thoughts, reactions, ideas, friends, likes, dislikes etc are very representative of who we are at our core. That's why it takes longer to change those outward things and also why we so easily feel that WE are being attacked or rejected, when that is not the person's intent. For someone who starts from their core and then assimilates ideas after trying them on for size, this reaction seems rather uncalled for and foreign. For someone who starts from outside observations and assimilates them into the core of who they are, it doesn't.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm wondering how an INFJ would take this, it's a thought that I've had before but never got around to really talking about it. I have been doing my own laundry since I was 9. I asked to do it myself as a compromize between an excessive pile in my room and the days it would take for me to get clean laundry back once it was put in the laundry room. At 19, before my father dropped me off for college, he decided to help me with my laundry, but due to his method my blacks faded too much. At 21, the only other female to get her hands on my laundry, my gf at the time, refused to sort my socks by size, texure, and colour as well as not folding my pants correctly (there are only two ways, one for a certain set of types, and another for the others).

Due to all the above, I prefer to do my laundry and would rather not have anyone else bother with it. Any subsiquent SO I have I ask that if she feels the need to do something nice to me, my laundry is the worst place to look due to how picky I am about it. Could this cause an INFJ to feel rejected if I mentioned it before she had the idea to try? I keep it in a bin, or laid out on a very specific place if it can be worn again so I keep it out of the way and I do it once every 1-2 weeks.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm wondering how an INFJ would take this, it's a thought that I've had before but never got around to really talking about it. I have been doing my own laundry since I was 9. I asked to do it myself as a compromize between an excessive pile in my room and the days it would take for me to get clean laundry back once it was put in the laundry room. At 19, before my father dropped me off for college, he decided to help me with my laundry, but due to his method my blacks faded too much. At 21, the only other female to get her hands on my laundry, my gf at the time, refused to sort my socks by size, texure, and colour as well as not folding my pants correctly (there are only two ways, one for a certain set of types, and another for the others).

Due to all the above, I prefer to do my laundry and would rather not have anyone else bother with it. Any subsiquent SO I have I ask that if she feels the need to do something nice to me, my laundry is the worst place to look due to how picky I am about it. Could this cause an INFJ to feel rejected if I mentioned it before she had the idea to try? I keep it in a bin, or laid out on a very specific place if it can be worn again so I keep it out of the way and I do it once every 1-2 weeks.
I don't think it would bother me, but FWIW, I do the same thing -- even though I do most of the household laundry, I keep my own separate and I really don't like anybody else messing with it or any of my systems, to be honest. If it's my job, it's my job and I have a system. If somebody else wants to take over the job (not my laundry :laugh:), that's cool, but in my mind it becomes their job. For the past several years my husband has done most of his own laundry and it doesn't hurt my feelings a bit. What bothers me is when someone pops in, messes up my system, then doesn't do the job dependably thereafter and I have to go in and try to get it sorted all out again. But I'm probably an old crank.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ

As long as you explained before, I think it would actually avert disaster and hurt feelings.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I think we're especially touchy about that since most of our thoughts, reactions, ideas, friends, likes, dislikes etc are very representative of who we are at our core. That's why it takes longer to change those outward things and also why we so easily feel that WE are being attacked or rejected, when that is not the person's intent. For someone who starts from their core and then assimilates ideas after trying them on for size, this reaction seems rather uncalled for and foreign. For someone who starts from outside observations and assimilates them into the core of who they are, it doesn't.

For someone who starts from their core and then assimilates ideas after trying them on for size, this reaction seems rather uncalled for and foreign. For someone who starts from outside observations and assimilates them into the core of who they are, it doesn't.

What happens to someone who is prone to both? what if someone does both of these. starts from the core and tries it on for size. But also incorporates outside influences and observations into their core being??
What if that is their very conflict??
Would this person be extremely confused and torn between their own values and the values of others. Would they have trouble with knowing where they end and others begin??

Off topic really.. but your post is so thought provoking

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Arclight, you are a better and more understanding person than I am right now.

I must admit that I'm feeling intense frustration with Fidelia at this moment because I feel like I've bent over backward to be kind, humble, conciliatory... And the crux of Fidelia's response was that she felt uneasy about my post because she thought that my style of presentation wasn't quite right and that I was being presumptive.

:doh:

Arclight, you asked Fidelia how you could better deliver a critical message without hurting the recipient... INFJ style. This is a great question that I completely respect.

But maybe a better question for Fidelia would be this:

"If I, as an INFJ, find something someone does something unsettling or distasteful, what should I do about it?"

^^^^^^^^^^^
I think this is the really important question to ask in such situations. Because INFJs are prone to be unsettled whenever things don't turn out as expected. (<--- This seems a natural product of an INFJs unique mix of cognitive functions.)

It must seem to an INFJ that these kinds of upsets are caused by external circumstances and situations... like Esoteric Wench's bullet pointed posts. But, that's not really true. It's true that things will happen over which an INFJ has no control. But INFJs can control how they perceive things, or judge such incidents.*

I think if I were an INFJ, I'd try to put a red flag up whenever something made me feel uneasy or unsettled. I'd make sure I asked myself if my motivation for judging the matter at hand was to be able to understand its usefulness in the world or to dismiss it.**

Take for example Fidelia's comments about Esoteric Wench's presumptiveness. I wonder if Fidelia would still be bothered by this if she knew that long ago, I decided that being afraid to proudly proclaim what I believed wasn't doing anybody any good. The only thing it did was diffuse the poignancy of my message. If I didn't believe I were right, then I wouldn't have written it, no?

And as for the bolded interstitials, etc., this comes from working in marketing communications and PR for 15 years. Long block of texts (which my bombastically verbose tendencies are wont to produce) are very boring for a lot of people to read. So industry best practice is to break them up with interesting visual details. I always try to do this when I post a wall of text. It's best practice in my field.

Perhaps this thread is a situation that calls for Fidelia to first ask herself if Esoteric Wench is behaving in a manner consistent with ESOTERIC WENCH'S values. We're here to learn from each other aren't we? So don't Esoteric Wench's values have some intrinsic value? Doesn't everyone have something to contribute?

If Fidelia had asked herself this, then I hope that she would have come to the conclusion that Esoteric Wench was not trying to be pedantic or righteous. Instead, she was trying to be intelligent, witty, self-disclosing, and insightful. (With a little bit of good marketing copywriter thrown in.) And, perhaps she would have concluded that Esoteric Wench was trying to give an earnest and humble response to Fidelia and other INFJs on this forum who she might have unintentionally offended earlier.

*Sections of this response were inspired by the INFJ Personal Growth page on ThePersonalityPage.com. This is such a well written article!

**And just so Esoteric Wench doesn't smell from the stink of hypocrisy, let me point out that ENFPs have red flag issues of their own. For example, whenever I feel like I'm being controlled, I put up a red flag and consider if perhaps I'm just using my Fi to support the needs of my Ne.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I guess what I was referring to was more the Fe vs Fi, J and P ways of processing things. Not sure what to think.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Arclight, you are a better and more understanding person than I am right now.

This is simply not true. I am no better or worse than you are EW.
I am not here to point fingers or blame anyone. I cannot ask all INFJs to answer for what one might have done. I can only ask them to help me understand why, and hopefully they are willing to share.

At some point I have to cut a little slack for them. I have simply adjusted my communication style so as to not offend, and it doesn't violate my Fi to do so. It in fact feels nice and if I understand it.. it stimulates my Fe and then I am able to make a better connection because My tone and language change.
I change direction. It's not impossible you know. In fact didn't you just talk about this very concept??