User Tag List

Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Common INFJ issues

darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None

A metaphor occurred to me to express how INFJs see and come to understand people.

Do you remember those 3-D posters with the hidden image? Everyone would say, just look past the surface and don't focus on any one thing, then it will emerge. While I was never very good at those, I see manage to see a couple of images in them and remember that it occurred when I could just relax into it and have an "Aha!" moment. That is how I look at people - past the surface, without focusing on any one thing, trying to just relax into it without expectation or judgment, and then Aha! some sort of insight emerges.
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY

darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None

Sylvia Plath is such a hard-core INFJ. You can almost think INFP from the intensity of her passion until quotes like these:

The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Sylvia Plath is such a hard-core INFJ. You can almost think INFP from the intensity of her passion until quotes like these:

Sounds enneagram 9ish to me, actually.

wants Mifune clone minion Array Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

A metaphor occurred to me to express how INFJs see and come to understand people.

Do you remember those 3-D posters with the hidden image? Everyone would say, just look past the surface and don't focus on any one thing, then it will emerge. While I was never very good at those, I see manage to see a couple of images in them and remember that it occurred when I could just relax into it and have an "Aha!" moment. That is how I look at people - past the surface, without focusing on any one thing, trying to just relax into it without expectation or judgment, and then Aha! some sort of insight emerges.
    I've used this analogy myself somewhat recently- can't remember where, but it was to describe how things slowly slide into focus (imo, for INFJs). I can't rush my opinions or point of view about things. It really does feel like looking into a Magic Eye image until *poof* something becomes clear.

So yes, I agree it's a good metaphor.

Although I have a hard time keeping that necessary detachment if someone close to me finds it distressing for some reason (like they need me to believe something specific). I think the more I try to force something because it seems like it should make sense and I want to agree, that can throw a wrench in the process for me and make that *poof* moment take longer to happen.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP

Sometimes I wish an invisible video camera was hovering around me at all times, filming me in everything I do. Then I'd be able to see who I really am, instantly. I'd be able to identify bad habits and observe which situations I am unconsciously being a jerk to people. I don't want to be a jerk, but I often feel like it.
    It sounded great in my head...

brainheart

I don't know. She so strongly expresses her opinions like a Fi-dom. (In the way that can sound elitist to non Fi-doms.) Also, I think there's a lot of Ne random associations/ playfulness/ explorations of possibilities/ rambling in her writing. INFJ writing always seems much more precise/ honed in to me, as if it were all thought out before it approached the page. Also, Fi is about what you like and dislike- it's feeling strongly about things. That's how it's an introverted judging function- taking the external perception inward and judging it.

Doesn't this strike you as Ne?

I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

wants Mifune clone minion Array Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I don't know. She so strongly expresses her opinions like a Fi-dom. (In the way that can sound elitist to non Fi-doms.) Also, I think there's a lot of Ne random associations/ playfulness/ explorations of possibilities/ rambling in her writing. INFJ writing always seems much more precise/ honed in to me, as if it were all thought out before it approached the page. Also, Fi is about what you like and dislike- it's feeling strongly about things. That's how it's an introverted judging function- taking the external perception inward and judging it.

Doesn't this strike you as Ne?
    While I agree very much with the bolded, the block of text quoted actually (imo) falls in that inbetween area to me of the NF propensity to see deep meaning in symbols. I only see Ne 'clearly' in things where there's more quantity of symbols than actual depth to those symbols (exploration of breadth, rather than depth).

I've actually considered starting a thread before about this- using scenes with super rich symbolism as examples (Jane Campion or Miranda July movies come to mind)- how there's a certain kind of symbolism that seems (to me) like a decidedly NF thing. But there's such an annoying infernal competition going on in this forum, a bizarre 'us vs. them', that I figured such a thread would cause more aggravation than not.

Anyway- my point is that I think where the symbolism is done especially well it's practically impossible to know whether it has more Ni or Fi. There are some people for whom I really can't guess a type beyond xNFx because of it.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    While I agree very much with the bolded, the block of text quoted actually (imo) falls in that inbetween area to me of the NF propensity to see deep meaning in symbols. I only see Ne 'clearly' in things where there's more quantity of symbols than actual depth to those symbols (exploration of breadth, rather than depth).

I've actually considered starting a thread before about this- using scenes with super rich symbolism as examples (Jane Campion or Miranda July movies come to mind)- how there's a certain kind of symbolism that seems (to me) like a decidedly NF thing. But there's such an annoying infernal competition going on in this forum, a bizarre 'us vs. them', that I figured such a thread would cause more aggravation than not.

Anyway- my point is that I think where the symbolism is done especially well it's practically impossible to know whether it has more Ni or Fi. There are some people for whom I really can't guess a type beyond xNFx because of it.
    Us vs them... Is there?

I'm going to agree with you (about the Ni/Fi comment). I write some things that seemingly reek of Ni, for example, but it's probably more the nature of being an introverted intuitive, or INFX. I have difficulty understanding the orientation of INFJ, though. It does feel quite foreign to me.

Also, I didn't mean to imply (if it was interpreted that way) that I think Sylvia Plath is an INFP. I don't have a strong opinion either way, although I'd say she's definitely INFX. I'm just entertaining possibilities while taking in new and different information, or looking at the already given information from different points of view. I think it's easier to reach conclusions on her enneagram type, which seems quite 4 with a strong 3 wing, sexual, than to figure out her MBTI. (I will never understand why she is so frequently typed with a 5 wing. That 3 wing is so strong it could almost be her core type.)

Senior Member Array the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i do have a strong opinion. i'd say infp seems much more likely than infj. "i think my poems come out of the immediate and sensuous emotional experiences i have."

i just don't see infj in the pictures of her, and i also don't really get infj cadence in the interview posted. she's pretty fast without being as rushed/breathless as an infj would be at that speed. she kind of reminds me of joseph campbell, but that could also be a lot of period/accent affectations. she definitely has the N listing, reframing thing going on. "to speak to a group of people, to come across, to sing to a group of people."

at 12:00 you get some w5 stuff too, "people who can teach me something, this mastery of a craft." she speaks about fascination a lot.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    258 sx/so

I'm everyone's muse rather than friend in the end. When I need someone, *crickets*. I think too much. I feel my emotions but tend to look to them objectively and analyze the fuck out of them, and tear myself a part by doing the same. The only time I feel myself experiencing being me is in the company of others, kinda. I am told over and over again how articulate I am yet can never seem to articulate the things I want to say most. I miss someone deeply like a crazy person because I connect so deeply with people that when it's over, it's like momentum(inertia) principle where I'm waiting for the brick wall. I irritate myself because I am acutely aware of what would be the appropriate way to be but that's not me and so I am constantly "editing" myself, wearing a mask for the sake of, and it's charming and cute and kind and I feel alone more than I care to admit because there are so few people I feel safe enough to be totally myself around. Ugh. I give myself a headache and don't suspect/expect anyone to relate to this verbal vomit. :p
    There'd be no method if there were no madness ...