User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Yeah I agree, I didn't know if you were being facetious. I've been in arguments with my friend (the one who dated my sociopath example above) and she would like nothing more than to see him locked away forever while I would prefer to see him get help.
    As an adult there's very little you can do to "help" a sociopath. I think prison exists for a reason - and surely shouldn't be as overused as it is right now, I think that most mentally ill people can and should be helped by psychiatry instead. But prison pretty much exists as a place to protect the rest of society from sociopaths. I think that's it's main function, and I believe that they more than anyone belong there, because their behavior can't be fully corrected.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    As an adult there's very little you can do to "help" a sociopath. I think prison exists for a reason - and surely shouldn't be as overused as it is right now, I think that most mentally ill people can and should be helped by psychiatry instead. But prison pretty much exists as a place to protect the rest of society from sociopaths. I think that's it's main function, and I believe that they more than anyone belong there, because their behavior can't be fully corrected.
    I would agree if American prisons weren't proven to harden people and make them worse. If a sociopath rapes and murders someone, sure, lock them up forever. If they're on that road but not there, force them to get help somehow.

    I dunno, I guess I just always think it's worth trying to help someone before giving up on them, and we as a society (the US anyway) are just too happy to simply give up on someone.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

  3. #23
    Symbolic Herald Vasilisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,128

    Default

    I had a gig once at one of those standardized test scoring centers. We had to flag some of the children's tests for content because they signaled that a problem might exist. What I remember coming across were children who sounded so desperately sad. I still remember what they wrote.

    yakimadude, I have a friend who is a Medical Doctor of psychiatry who specializes in children with psychiatric disorders. If you want me to ask him some general question for you, I will. I do not think he is NF, though.

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    I would agree if American prisons weren't proven to harden people and make them worse. If a sociopath rapes and murders someone, sure, lock them up forever. If they're on that road but not there, force them to get help somehow.

    I dunno, I guess I just always think it's worth trying to help someone before giving up on them, and we as a society (the US anyway) are just too happy to simply give up on someone.
    Some people need to be given up on because their danger to society far outweighs any compassion they should be shown. These are rare, extreme cases, of course. I believe that most people with problems can be helped. However, it's overly idealistic to believe you can help someone who has no more compunction about killing you or anyone else than a normal perosn would about stepping on a cockroach.

    I also believe in mercy killing. I believe that there are situations where it's better to die. I believe in situations where a person is so far gone that they will do nothing but destroy. It's like putting down a sick animal. It is the right thing to do, IMO.

    I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but to me it seems like common sense.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Some people need to be given up on because their danger to society far outweighs any compassion they should be shown. These are rare, extreme cases, of course. I believe that most people with problems can be helped. However, it's overly idealistic to believe you can help someone who has no more compunction about killing you or anyone else than a normal perosn would about stepping on a cockroach.

    I also believe in mercy killing. I believe that there are situations where it's better to die. I believe in situations where a person is so far gone that they will do nothing but destroy. It's like putting down a sick animal. It is the right thing to do, IMO.

    I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but to me it seems like common sense.
    No, it makes sense on a pragmatic approach and I do tend to be overly idealistic.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

  6. #26
    Yup
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    Istj
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I had a gig once at one of those standardized test scoring centers. We had to flag some of the children's tests for content because they signaled that a problem might exist. What I remember coming across were children who sounded so desperately sad. I still remember what they wrote.

    yakimadude, I have a friend who is a Medical Doctor of psychiatry who specializes in children with psychiatric disorders. If you want me to ask him some general question for you, I will. I do not think he is NF, though.
    thank you for the offer. The movie "joshua" reminded me of my exes nephew, long ago. I remember hearing he slapped his grandfather on the face, because the grandfather decided to cut plans short due to the child being unruly. the little guy comrpomised the lock on our room and watched me and my ex sleeping, caught that. he is a long ways from hurting animals and people. there does need to be more active approach to parenting in the house in stead of being wishy washy. I started placing boundries and limits and while everyone was still giving him his way, he sought me out frequently and we began to have an understanding. crappy thing about breaking up is sometimes you end up leaving more then one person.


    Btw I hate Hugging

  7. #27
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Some people need to be given up on because their danger to society far outweighs any compassion they should be shown. These are rare, extreme cases, of course. I believe that most people with problems can be helped. However, it's overly idealistic to believe you can help someone who has no more compunction about killing you or anyone else than a normal perosn would about stepping on a cockroach.

    I also believe in mercy killing. I believe that there are situations where it's better to die. I believe in situations where a person is so far gone that they will do nothing but destroy. It's like putting down a sick animal. It is the right thing to do, IMO.

    I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but to me it seems like common sense.
    i kind of agree. in my rosy idealistic hopes, there's so much to learn and study that an imprisoned sociopath given a library (and possibly low-grade tranquilizer or other drug) might be able to have a satisfactory life that doesn't include injuring others. i don't really know much about sociopaths, but i imagine they have particular interests just like the rest of us... so i don't really see any reason a sociopath can't become a forerunning expert in stochastic calculus, or quantum physics, or other areas of study that don't have to involve human interaction.

    at the same time... i really hate death row, but for a sociopath who's murdered someone, i'm not sure i'd be totally opposed to them being killed. it's like what you said about mercy killing. it pains me a lot but for the good of society, someone who has no hesitation when it comes to killing would be my one exception.

    my hope is that at some point in the future research will allow brain chemistry to be altered enough that they can take drugs to kick-start their limbic systems and induce a little emotion. i read an interesting article about oxytocin being a possibility.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 11:41 PM
  2. The Curse(s) of Being Significantly Different From the Norm
    By SillySapienne in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 178
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 06:59 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Do You Ever Feel the Pageant of Life Has Poor Storylines?
    By SquirrelTao in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 10:50 PM
  4. fear of being center of attention
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 07:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO