Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    lets say child is 10, you came around the corner and spied her/him squeezing your parakeet until it was out of air. instead of screaming you open and shut the door down the hall, as if you seen nothing and just entered the room. you say "honey why is the bird screaming?" " just feeding the bird" they say
    At the age of ten you may expect a child to understand what it is to hurt an animal but not all do, or there may be another reason. Spending time with that child, real time, is the only way of finding out. Understanding the motives is the key. Taking a child to a councillor, or shrink may seem an easy solution but it's not hard to fein remorse for an hour a week.

I met a child the other day, or rather he stared into the depths of my soul.... and i really truely felt he wished me dead. It was quite frightening. Still i felt the need to explore this, to understand why.

Also i have known a sociopath, very well indeed, and no it was not easy to see... it took me nine years to work it out because he believed in everything he said (and did) at the time he said (and did) it. Even he is not beyond redemption
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

yeah i brought this up cause i just watched the movie "JOshua"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

yeah i brought this up cause i just watched the movie "JOshua"
    ahh, dethronement.

yeah i can't really say i've ever identified a child sociopath, or even anyone with more-than-slightly-abnormal sociopathic tendencies.

oh, but there's that traditional triad. bedwetting, killing/maiming animals, setting things on fire. they say bedwetting's been ditched as a good indictator, but i'm pretty sure animal torture and arson are accurate...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I'm about 99% convinced that one of my former friends at least has Narcissistic Personality Disorder if not full blown Antisocial. We became friends around 10 and he never really seemed to mature past age 12, he was always violent and mean to animals and never and I mean NEVER considered other peoples feelings. If you got mad at him for something he was genuinely confused why you were mad at him.

Fast forward to him being 23, raping a friend of mine while they were dating and getting slapped with a restraining order. I had severed contact with him for about two years and he went out of his way to contact me to tell me that his ex (our mutual friend) was a lying bitch and not to believe a word she said.

Last time I talked to him I told him to go seek therapy and he told me he was perfectly healthy it was everyone else who was sick in the head.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9, 5
    Socionics
    INTj

lets say child is 10, you came around the corner and spied her/him squeezing your parakeet until it was out of air. instead of screaming you open and shut the door down the hall, as if you seen nothing and just entered the room. you say "honey why is the bird screaming?" " just feeding the bird" they say
    I will say this. Don't ask the child for the answer you already know. I know from experience and analyzing my environment. The first thing this sets up is a barrier between you and the child-you can't fathom the behavior and they are doing it. Second, it causes the child to distrust you, spying-sooner or later, they will catch you watching, and continue their routine of lying because it is routine. Third, you are giving the child power to this- they will know you already know the answer to the question you are asking them, and lie because you have placed the ball in their court by asking a question. To a child, you must be knowing and sure-not questioning and suspicious.
    And yes, I thought my son's cousin was destined for harmful things, until I had my second son. All children are different, but not only was my second son hurting our kitty, but my oldest was hurting my youngest. Let me add, while I was out of the room, and 'no one' was watching.
    I put an end to it. For a week, my oldest was not allowed in a room alone with the youngest. I told him I could no longer trust him to help and protect his brother. I told him his brother trusted him and loved him and didn't want to be hurt by him.
    I also believe all children while growing up experiment with EVERYTHING. From poo to food, why not living things? They're just trying to see how all this big world works, but you'd have a lot better luck by letting the child in on your knowledge, instead of sneaking around waiting to see what happens. Instead control what happens. Just trying to help. I have been there.
    What is normal to one, is incomprehensible to another.

ALL anger in this world stems from a lack of control.

All of reality bows to the illusion of life and death.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Why even try to help a sociopathic child? You can't. It will grow up possibly to be a rapist, or a mass murderer.

Kill it.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    never having kids, that's my solution.
    Mine too. Nip it in the bud. You know, you might produce a human wonder kid, but in all likelihood, it's going to be a dud. Yes, children are like movies. Conceiving them is fun, but working on them is a drag, and you never know whether the effort will make an impact on society or not.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Why even try to help a sociopathic child? You can't. It will grow up possibly to be a rapist, or a mass murderer.

Kill it.
    Killing for pre-emptive crimes is a slippery slope.

most sociopaths become (somewhat) functioning members of society. Some sociopaths can and do get mental treatment (though this is extremely rare since they believe there is nothing wrong with them.)

On the other hand, I'm at a loss as to what you could do with them, because there is very little that can be done.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Killing for pre-emptive crimes is a slippery slope.

most sociopaths become (somewhat) functioning members of society. Some sociopaths can and do get mental treatment (though this is extremely rare since they believe there is nothing wrong with them.)

On the other hand, I'm at a loss as to what you could do with them, because there is very little that can be done.
    Yeah, there's very little that can be done, and what's awesome is that they think it's everyone else's problem.

Of course, I was being facetious when I suggested "kill it" but at the same time I don't think coddling and enabling a sociopath is going to do anything but make it more dangerous.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yeah, there's very little that can be done, and what's awesome is that they think it's everyone else's problem.

Of course, I was being facetious when I suggested "kill it" but at the same time I don't think coddling and enabling a sociopath is going to do anything but make it more dangerous.
    Yeah I agree, I didn't know if you were being facetious. I've been in arguments with my friend (the one who dated my sociopath example above) and she would like nothing more than to see him locked away forever while I would prefer to see him get help.