User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: INF depth?

MBTI
    INFP

I don't consider Fe cold.

My Fe sister-in-law is one of the friendliest people I know and I get along with her better than my NFP sister-in-law.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I have most often been considered to be "cold" by Fe doms.
    Then they don't know you.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    It's simple, really. Fi is deep on the inside and cold to the outside. Fe is warm to the outside and has a colder part on the inside.

Where there's Fi, there's Te.

Where there's Fe, there's Ti.
    Thank you, ladies, for your insights!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

heart on fire

After reading this thread and digesting some of the comments, I have an opinion. I think it is important to allow perceptions into Fi, the inferior functions need to be able to have their say, but I have found that giving too much importance to the outside world and not attending to my inner life is a sure course to depression and a kind of brittle, trite exterior that is sure to irritate others around me.

It is the taking in of external perceptions and allowing them to illuminate my vision but never allowing them to control my inner vision that I think is the best way for me personally to be.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

not attending to my inner life is a sure course to depression and a kind of brittle, trite exterior that is sure to irritate others around me
    This is exactly why I was labeled the "angry hippie" for so long. A perfect summary, thank you

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    After reading this thread and digesting some of the comments, I have an opinion. I think it is important to allow perceptions into Fi, the inferior functions need to be able to have their say, but I have found that giving too much importance to the outside world and not attending to my inner life is a sure course to depression and a kind of brittle, trite exterior that is sure to irritate others around me.

It is the taking in of external perceptions and allowing them to illuminate my vision but never allowing them to control my inner vision that I think is the best way for me personally to be.
    What puzzles me, though, is how an inner perception of one's own feelings can be used to live life. It doesn't really seem to come from anywhere. That's probably the most confusing thing about IxFP's to others... their decisions and opinions seem to be influenced by something I don't see. It can be quite disconcerting and alarming at times.

It seems less so to people who "get" Fi, and unfortunately I don't.

In other words, I think you have to be an INFP in order to understand one, on some level.

MBTI
    INFP

What puzzles me, though, is how an inner perception of one's own feelings can be used to live life.
    The thing is that I'm not only focused on my own inner feelings. I'm also focused on other people's inner feelings. If I'm relaxed in my inner experience, then I look past the external behavior of others and sense out their motivations. This sense also can help me notice the subtle ways people are relating to eachother. That kind of info is very practical for living one's life.

It doesn't really seem to come from anywhere. That's probably the most confusing thing about IxFP's to others... their decisions and opinions seem to be influenced by something I don't see. It can be quite disconcerting and alarming at times.
    I think most Fi types can be quite easy to understand once you get the sense of that one central thing that they order their lives by, but of course this one thing can be a complex feeling that isn't easily put into words. So, maybe only another Fi type could figure it out. On the other hand, I'm sure most INFPs would love to try to explain it if you're willing to listen. INFPs have been known to talk endlessly about their internal experiences and analyzing them to death.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
    The thing is that I'm not only focused on my own inner feelings. I'm also focused on other people's inner feelings. If I'm relaxed in my inner experience, then I look past the external behavior of others and sense out their motivations. This sense also can help me notice the subtle ways people are relating to eachother. That kind of info is very practical for living one's life.
    Well, I would have thought that was more Fe. If that's what you do, then what do you see Fe as doing?
    I think most Fi types can be quite easy to understand once you get the sense of that one central thing that they order their lives by, but of course this one thing can be a complex feeling that isn't easily put into words. So, maybe only another Fi type could figure it out. On the other hand, I'm sure most INFPs would love to try to explain it if you're willing to listen. INFPs have been known to talk endlessly about their internal experiences and analyzing them to death.
    Oh. That's similar to what INTP's do, except they seem to be better at verbalizing and explaining what that one thing is.

MBTI
    INFP

Well, I would have thought that was more Fe. If that's what you do, then what do you see Fe as doing?
    There is a way of focusing on others in an Introverted way. I perceive others the way I perceive myself. I realize this may make no sense to you, but its the best I can do.

To be philosophical about it, all of reality has an Introverted component.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
    There is a way of focusing on others in an Introverted way. I perceive others the way I perceive myself. I realize this may make no sense to you, but its the best I can do.
    It made sense, I just can't use it because I don't understand how you perceive yourself. I appreciate your trying anyway.
    To be philosophical about it, all of reality has an Introverted component.
    True enough. Except I'm not sure feelings (or other functions) are a part of reality as much as they're a part of how we process reality. Feelings are more about how people perceive themselves to be affected by reality than about reality itself.

MBTI
    INFP

True enough. Except I'm not sure feelings (or other functions) are a part of reality as much as they're a part of how we process reality. Feelings are more about how people perceive themselves to be affected by reality than about reality itself.
    However, we only know reality by our processing of reality... says my Fi. I use objectivity when thinking about ideas especially when discussing them, but my sense of reality is extremely subjective. Theories such as the collective unconscious and consensual reality are very attractive to me.