User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: INF depth?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by the_snumeister View Post
    We should also note that the Extroverted Intuition of the INFP is often aimed inwards due to the primacy of an Introverted Function-Introverted Feeling. Fi-Introverted Feeling, bends the Extroverted Intuition inwards and therefore creates the effect germane to Introverted Intuition.
    That smells like BlueWing's stuff. Am I right?

is this analogous to how an infj would access their "witch" Fi?
    I don't need to "access" my witch: she's always there screaming in my ears :rolli: My problem is how to shut her up I don't know for other INFJs though.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

thanks everyone, your replies have been helpful.

This is not how an INFJ would access Fi, here, however, to an outside observer it will seem like the INFJ is using Fi.

Not that the INFJ cannot at all employ Fi, it is simply more difficult to access than Fe because it is further down on the functional hierarchy.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    In this case, envy could be taken as something of a compliment, actually.
    Very right you are... a compliment, indirectly. The type INFPs more readily accept.

I wouldn't call Fe cold... it's just not internal. It really seems like I only really feel something while the thing provoking the feeling is actually there, or I'm imagining that situation or perspective again. The feeling can't be separated from the trigger. If the trigger is removed, the feeling is as well (at least consciously). So as soon as I realize that a person didn't intend something the way I took it, my feelings tend to realign with the new perception of the situation. So I can go from angry to pleased (and vice-versa) much more quickly. One of the weirdest examples someone else noticed was when I was irritated with someone I was talking to in person, and I then picked up the phone and spoke pleasantly to the other person whole time, and then put it down and resumed seeming frustrated.
    Yet the apparent "warmth" of Fe is all on the surface. That's why I used the word "cold" to describe it. I feel mine is absolutely unconscious; it just reacts. An external event triggers a Fe response... you display and "feel" the emotion, yet you can completely detach yourself from it. Well at least I can. To a stage where I'm displaying a response... like crying my eyes out... but inside I'm not feeling anything and just thinking. The INFPs on the other hand... inside is the outside. No tricks, nothing hidden.

"We should also note that the Extroverted Intuition of the INFP is often aimed inwards due to the primacy of an Introverted Function-Introverted Feeling. Fi-Introverted Feeling, bends the Extroverted Intuition inwards and therefore creates the effect germane to Introverted Intuition."

I think what BW was trying to say is that Fi combined with Ne looks like Ni in action... and so for an INFJ, Ni combined with Fe when viewed from the outside is like Fi. Yet we ourselves know it's not the same thing at all.

We can use Fi... but most of the time Fe overrides it.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Yet the apparent "warmth" of Fe is all on the surface. That's why I used the word "cold" to describe it. I feel mine is absolutely unconscious; it just reacts. An external event triggers a Fe response... you display and "feel" the emotion, yet you can completely detach yourself from it. Well at least I can. To a stage where I'm displaying a response... like crying my eyes out... but inside I'm not feeling anything and just thinking. The INFPs on the other hand... inside is the outside. No tricks, nothing hidden.

Yes, often I feel choking on tears, very upset inside, but on the outside appear cold. I have only cried in front of my husband and mother in my life, no one else.

MBTI
    INFP

I was very emotional as a child. I was entirely motivated by emotion, but even then I didn't show it obviously. I can only remember one time in my life where I cried in public.

These days, I show even less. My face is often ureadable, and I haven't cried to any significant degree in decades. I do feel deeply, but I'm extremely protective of my inner experience.

My Fe sister-in-law was surprised by my admitting to having deep feelings because she couldn't detect them at all. She expresses an emotion and then forgets it even occurred, and express an entirely opposite feeling an hour later.

Maybe connected to depth is a feeling of constancy. My feelings change very very slowly. My moods can last months. People have said that I seem very dependable and I assume this is what they're observing, but I don't feel dependable in a lot of ways. I do depend on this Fi sense of a core truth. It may be dependable, but it is also independent.

MBTI
    INFP

I've often wondered if "depth" is actually just what the process of endlessly attempting to identify and align inarticulate and contradictory values looks like. Or maybe it's the aftermath of that process? It's not often that clear (or convinced, at least) thinkers are accused of depth. Maybe INFJs are not often called "deep" because they are less confused and more organized with their values? Maybe they don't have the required doubt to seem deep?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I've often wondered if "depth" is actually just what the process of endlessly attempting to identify and align inarticulate and contradictory values looks like. Or maybe it's the aftermath of that process? It's not often that clear (or convinced, at least) thinkers are accused of depth. Maybe INFJs are not often called "deep" because they are less confused and more organized with their values? Maybe they don't have the required doubt to seem deep?
    I guess I just tend to focus so much on values related to what I can observe so that I can use them to help, that it never really occurs to me that values might be anywhere on the inside, and I just have the patterns I look for internalized instead. We're backwards from one another, I think.

J/P makes a bigger difference than most other dichotomies, unfortunately.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'd like to ask why the dominant Fi users consider Fe to be "cold"?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post

I have most often been considered to be "cold" by Fe doms.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I have most often been considered to be "cold" by Fe doms.
    It's simple, really. Fi is deep on the inside and cold to the outside. Fe is warm to the outside and has a colder part on the inside.

Where there's Fi, there's Te.

Where there's Fe, there's Ti.