User Tag List

123 Last

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Default Aren't INFJs supposed to be a very rare type?

This is actually taken from something I started to think about after looking at an user created group on the forums called "All INFJ". This original message is here.

INFJs are supposed to be... what? A type that is held by as little as 1% - 2% of people? If this is in fact true, why does it seem to me that there in fact an huge abundance of people who claim to be this type? How do you tell the bogus ones from the real ones?

Below is my own opinion as to why. I'm interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts, from both non INFJs and people who believe they are.

-----------

Through my own observations over the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that many attempt to identify themselves to the type simply because it's considered so rare and "special". It is very easy to believe you are a good and understanding person, but the reality is often completely different.

People come to the belief that if they can relate to other equally confused individuals, they somehow possess the ability to "understand" each other. This creates a false blanket of misguided empathy that is easy to cling to, but very hard to maintain. I have found with a lot of INFJs though that their supposed capacity for understanding people does not in fact extend beyond themselves and their own common interests and similar personality traits.

Some (many?) kid themselves about their capacity for empathy, their ability to understand other people's feelings, and their emotional sensitivity because the INFJ template paints us as some sort of reclusive saints, and that's a very attractive image to aspire to.

When push comes to shove though, I've seen very few INFJs hold true to the type's description. They show themselves to be selfish and self-serving, only connecting with people for their own benefit and emotional security.

I think real INFJs know just how confusing this sort of thing can be, and especially how hard and emotionally stressful it often feels to try and figure it all out. It's just the way we think.

---------

This is mostly a random string of thoughts that I've just thrown down on the page (the screen?). It's not constructed, tidied or put down in any particularly organised fashion. So please don't take it too literally. I'm far more interested in what you people have to say.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

To be honest these questions confuse me. It's the equivalent of hanging out a fly strip and wondering why the hell there are so many flies on it, and not other bugs too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I'm a little suspicious of everyone I know having an ex-gf that was an INFJ. Either there are some INFJs out there who date a whole lot more than the ones I'm acquainted with or someone is misdiagnosed. On the other hand, I would be careful not to tell someone that they were or weren't a specific type, as they know themselves better than I do. I'm quite sure I'm an INFJ, but I suppose it's possible that I'm not. Maybe others are equally deluded...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i didnt read this, but i think they might just be a rare type to test themselves or then many isfjs are confusing themselves as infj
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I cannot really contribute much to the topic. But where do you get that statistics which type manifests in how many % of people? Do they exist for all types? Are they to be considered accurate?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yeah, there are a few places where I've read stats for how many of each MBTI type there are roughly - I think the stats are mostly North American. And I agree that there are likely quite a few ISFJ/INFJ mixups. Maybe even a few girl INTJs that misidentify because of cultural norms.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    On the other hand, I would be careful not to tell someone that they were or weren't a specific type, as they know themselves better than I do. I'm quite sure I'm an INFJ, but I suppose it's possible that I'm not. Maybe others are equally deluded...
    This isn't really aimed at anyone in particular, but just as a general observation of the entire INFJ spectrum of people I've encountered. I'd never question anyone directly about their type without lots of first hand personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    I cannot really contribute much to the topic. But where do you get that statistics which type manifests in how many % of people? Do they exist for all types? Are they to be considered accurate?
    There's been a few tests and stat collecting here and there over the years. You can find a few of them documented online. I can't speak for the validity of these observations, but I'm simply going on what I've seen and heard. It's quite possibly I'm completely wrong, and if I am, I'd be perfectly happy if someone is able to inform me otherwise.

It just feels to me, as someone who feels very comfortable in the skin of my type, that the INFJ type seems to crop up far more often than it should. And I'm very wary of who people claim to be as opposed to who they really are.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

1% of 6 000 000 000 is 60 000 000. Even if we cut it to one third for those with access to internet we get 20 000 000 people. Have you met that many claiming to be INFJ yet?
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    1% of 6 000 000 000 is 60 000 000. Even if we cut it to one third for those with access to internet we get 20 000 000 people. Have you met that many claiming to be INFJ yet?
    I'm working on percentages, not direct numbers. The law of averages and all that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    There is an example here, along with a referance to their source:

My MBTI Personality Type - My MBTI Results - How Frequent Is My Type?

I have nodoubt that that many people mistype themselves for a variety of reasons. Even if the mistyping was random, rather than showing a bias towards INFJ, I'd still expect to see the apparent number of INFJs go up because if you gave some on a new type with a 1/16 chance of it being INFJ, thatg still higher than the actual number that exosts. The number of SJs would go down. That's close to the type of distribution that iss actually seen on this forum. Without more exact figures, I can't do much more in the way of statistics.

However, as it happens, I do suspect that their s a positive bias towards INFJs because thy are so often seen as specially. I also think that their is a negitive bias away from the SJs in general and the ISFJs in particular.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.