First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    Through my own observations over the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that many attempt to identify themselves to the type simply because it's considered so rare and "special". It is very easy to believe you are a good and understanding person, but the reality is often completely different.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I typed myself as INFJ because that is what I scored on official and unofficial tests and the description was amazingly accurate for me, whereas none of the others came even close to my personality. I didn't know INFJs were supposed to be rare and special until I started posting on this forum; all of the literature I read claimed INTJs, INTPs, etc, to be as rare if not moreso than INFJs, and leaps and bounds more substantial.

People come to the belief that if they can relate to other equally confused individuals, they somehow possess the ability to "understand" each other. This creates a false blanket of misguided empathy that is easy to cling to, but very hard to maintain. I have found with a lot of INFJs though that their supposed capacity for understanding people does not in fact extend beyond themselves and their own common interests and similar personality traits.
    I can understand a wide range of people, but that doesn't mean I will agree or sympathize with them.

When push comes to shove though, I've seen very few INFJs hold true to the type's description. They show themselves to be selfish and self-serving, only connecting with people for their own benefit and emotional security.
    True enough.

What I have seen is that INFJs, like all types, are very diverse, so if you're looking for one INFJ "type" amongst those that have INFJ listed as their type, you're going to be disappointed. There are common threads that tie us all together, but I would be wary of stereotyping types.

Because MBTI tests often generate inaccurate results and you incur an error range whenever you extrapolate from a small sample size to a wider population, none of those statistics can paint an accurate picture.

I'm looking at a statistical sampling that says INFJs are 1.46% of the population and that INFPs are 4.4% of the population. The margin of error is probably huge. Even with a 2% margin of error, the actuality could be that INFJs are 3.46% of the population and that INFPs are 2.4% of the population. Making INFPs "rarer," whatever that means.

And the types that are online are not reflective of the general population.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Who doesn't want to be an INFJ?
    I would join an INFJ-exclusive group just to feel awesome!
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Raises hand!

(I'm happy being an ENFP.)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

1% of the population in the USA is what? over 3 million people? To find a few dozen on a web board isn't that far-fetched. (it's not like all types are going to be equally attracted to mbti boards).

neither is it far-fetched for some of them to be unhealthy.

perhaps the person should have centred their criticims on the people's flaws, rather than phrasing it as an accusatory "you're not an INFJ". Becuase it begins to seem like he views MBTI as a system of heirarchical types where some are "good enough" to be his type, which he views as a badge of honour and others not. The lack of any functions theory to back up his claim also suggests this.

It comes down to Q: "can INFJ's be selfish assholes" A: "yes they can"
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl View Post
    And the types that are online are not reflective of the general population.
    Something I'm quickly becoming aware of.

Thanks for all the input so far people. I'll gladly admit my own over-arching ignorance on the subject, but then, that was the whole point of creating the thread. To see a broader perspective outside of my own. Some of these posts have definitely made me re-evaluate my opinion on the subject.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I kind of understand. Except I was always told INFP was a rare type, but it seems like more than half the people on here are that.

So I don't know.

The way I see it the statistical data for all types can be considered incorrect. Someone scoring as an INFJ on the test or even fitting the profile does not make them an INFJ. What makes someone an INFJ is having Ni as one's dominant function, Fe as one's auxiliary function,Ti as one's tertiary function, and Se as one's inferior function. MBTI is not so much about behavior or the four dichotomies as much as the mental processes we use to process and obtain data.The code can be considered to act as a "shorthand" of sorts which is used as sort of jargon- like what is typically done in fields such as medicine to foster efficient communication.In order to determine your type or another person's you have to determine via introspection or observation respectively what cognitive functions are being used
    The MBTI is a tool to help you on your self discovery. It nor any other the label can ever hope to describe you, because you are are unique and special, we all are. Any comments made regarding a group of people should be considered to be general and not ubiquitous; and no one should lose of sight of that. . Do not stereotype other people or yourself for that matter, but generalise if you must when a general example or pattern is required. And if you took the time to read this thank you

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Imagine INFJ as a big play room of balls:

The room could be so large, that you, as one purple ball inside it, may not recognize a red ball residing at the opposite corner as belonging in your room. Within that large room is space for multiple external expressions ... ones that don't "look" like you on the outside, but still share your functional preferences.

Some of the nuances between INFP's are nicely captured by enneagram type. It is worth a look for INFJ.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I'm actually shocked anybody would want to be one!