First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    I'm working on percentages, not direct numbers. The law of averages and all that.
    Percentages only allow for scaling to different collection sizes. Percentages are useful, but when you start to get to the actual people you need to apply it to sample size for it to have any meaning. One must also take into account the basic tendencies of any particular type you are looking at. In different activities and interests you will see shifts in the percentages based on the types that have a higher tendency to be into that activity or interest. Using direct numbers is just a way to visualize how many are possible in a given sample size to start with. The single base percentage only provides the most general amount of information.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I've only met one INFJ in real life. I really doubt that there are a lot of them. They probably have mistyped themselves and they are another one of the I_F_ types or maybe an ENFJ.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I've only met one INFJ in real life. I really doubt that there are a lot of them. They probably have mistyped themselves and they are another one of the I_F_ types or maybe an ENFJ.
    Two for me and I have been social enough to at least encounter several thousand people.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

A couple things:

First, it's hardly surprising that a group called "All INFJ" is going to attract most of the INFJ's that visit this site.

Second, even working with averages, the 46 people in that group doesn't strike me as a particularly large percentage of folks who visit this site.

And perhaps most importantly, it strikes me as extremely likely that INFJs will naturally be overrepresented on an internet forum like this one. INFJ's as a group tend to enjoy thinking about and discussing introspective topics like typology. We have a natural tendency to want to understand how people work. In addition, the internet forum format is ideally suited to our communication style. We can be alone without the drain of immediate distractions in the form of other people and we actually get to write out our thoughts, rather than communicate verbally.

So, while it may very well be the case that many people are mistyping (especially if they use that one test created by the guy whose wife was an INFJ and consequently thought INFJs were the most perfect type), it's also pretty likely that there are just more INFJs lurking around here than you would meet in your day-to-day life.

MBTI
    ESTJ

This is a bit strange to me. I almost think you don't want too many people to be INFJ because you yourself think that INFJs are so special and nice and reclusive saints etc etc.

When was the last time there was an accurate test to see the percentages of certain types? What were their methods for ascertaining those numbers? Why do you believe it? And why do you care?

It just doesn't seem like a big deal, whether there are 1% or 50% INFJs, you are still an individual.

Oh, and I think it's a little pompous to think someone mistyped themselves (even if they have) because it makes it seem like they are gravitating towards a "better" type.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by eclare View Post
    First, it's hardly surprising that a group called "All INFJ" is going to attract most of the INFJ's that visit this site.

Second, even working with averages, the 46 people in that group doesn't strike me as a particularly large percentage of folks who visit this site.[

And perhaps most importantly, it strikes me as extremely likely that INFJs will naturally be overrepresented on an internet forum like this one.
    You seem to be under the wrongly assumed belief that my observation is based entirely on looking at this group and this forum. It's not.

It's an observation I've been dwelling on for years. The group was simply the thing that got me motivated to write down something about it on the forums at this particular moment in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    This is a bit strange to me. I almost think you don't want too many people to be INFJ because you yourself think that INFJs are so special and nice and reclusive saints etc etc.
    If you read my post in any great detail, you would see that I directly stated that this is a misrepresented and rose-tinted view of the type that I don't subscribe to. I frankly get tired of hearing about how "understanding" and "easy to open up to" INFJs are supposed to be, like we're some sort of priests or something.

When was the last time there was an accurate test to see the percentages of certain types? What were their methods for ascertaining those numbers? Why do you believe it?
    1) I don't know.
    2) I don't know.
    3) I never said I did. That's why I'm asking other people. If someone can provide me with some concrete information, I will gladly look at it. If someone can show me that INFJs are actually extremely common, I will gladly believe them if they provide some certifiable proof.

And why do you care?
    I had a feeling someone would ask this.

Because it's the type of thing that interests me? I like trying to figure out how people think. Duplicity, masks, people's personal observations of each other. I find that sort of thing intriqueing.

Whether there are 1% or 50% INFJs, you are still an individual.
    Agreed entirely.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    You seem to be under the wrongly assumed belief that my observation is based entirely on looking at this group and this forum. It's not.

It's an observation I've been dwelling on personally for years. The group was simply the thing that got me motivated to write down something about it on the forums at this particular moment in time.

Ah, I see. That part was not clear to me. My apologies.

Still, I am curious as to where it is that you're seeing all of these INFJs. Again, I think INFJs are more likely to be interested in typology and more likely to actually test for their type than most other types.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

My thinking echoes Eclare's. I've only met 2 INFJs in real life and I'm old as dirt. Throw a rock in any direction online, however, and you will hit one.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

What other than online experiences cause you to believe there are too many INFJs to account for only 1-2% of the population? Specifics please.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

WoI as we both know from the INFJ forums there are many self professed INFJs who are clearly not INFJs.

:P
    Ground control to Major Tom