User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you keep your environment clutter free? INFPs only

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm constantly getting rid of the clutter, and keeping it under control.

6 9.38%
  • No, the clutter piles up, and I sort through it when I get inspired.

38 59.38%
  • I'm not an INFP, but I wanted to vote, too.

20 31.25%
123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default INFPs - Do you keep your environment clutter free?

Not sure how many of you there are, but I was just wondering.

My INFP sister was always messy, would always leave her clothes on the floor, and even today suffers from trying to save all the memorabilia from her children's lives as they grow. It's almost impossible for her to get rid of things because they have so much sentimental value.

How about you?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I used to hang on to every little memento I had from experiences growing up, but then moving some 15 times in the past 10 years has caused me to "minimize" my belongings.

I am constantly cleaning up the clutter around my house, but not so much in a "cleaning up" sense, but more of an "organizing the piles of clutter into smaller, manageable piles of clutter", but I didn't see that as a vote option.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

INFP is about as close as I get to a type, and I am very cluttered. I'd like to hire one of my J friends with super-clean homes to come in and help me declutter, by saying "Do you REALLY need to keep this board game from your childhood with half the pieces missing? I mean, really?"

What's your rate, Jen?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

To offer a contrast with INFP's, I actually don't keep my environment clutter-free. I tend to keep things in places where I'm more likely to use them or see them, in fact. I tidy my house up if I think I might be having company or something (which is rare), but otherwise I don't see a point... put stuff away just so I can pull it back out again? For what?

I do have a tendency to leave things in the same places, though, and I don't think I let it get too bad. I know a few SJ's who literally pull something out that they know they'll be using again shortly (within a few hours), use it once, put it back up, and then take it back out each time, when it would have been much easier to leave it out until you were actually done with it, or even permanently locate it in a more accessible place. If it weren't so socially accepted, I'd swear that behavior had traces of OCD in it.

I've noticed that for me, things I use frequently (more than three times a week) tend to get left out, and other things usually get put away. Unless I have company, in which case I actually do put everything away... and then pull most of it right back out by the next day or two.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    put stuff away just so I can pull it back out again? For what?
    Hear, hear !! My dream house would actually have enough surfaces that everything that is used regularly would have its own surface and would thus never need to be "put away".

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

The third poll option made me laugh.

I am around half P - and I'm not very cluttered. I can find my things if I need to find them, and that's really the most important thing. I find extreme amounts of clutter rather disturbing though, so I make sure things don't quite progress to that state.
    Not really.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Can I vote on behalf of my INFP mom?

She's always had trouble with clutter...more because she never could find time to do housework than because of collecting sentimental things though...although she does that too, to a degree. And a lack of organization means that things don't really have places to go, so they just accumulate everywhere.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post
    I used to hang on to every little memento I had from experiences growing up, but then moving some 15 times in the past 10 years has caused me to "minimize" my belongings.

I am constantly cleaning up the clutter around my house, but not so much in a "cleaning up" sense, but more of an "organizing the piles of clutter into smaller, manageable piles of clutter", but I didn't see that as a vote option.
    Thanks.... I started to offer more options but the J side of me was afraid the poll results would end up not providing any definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    INFP is about as close as I get to a type, and I am very cluttered. I'd like to hire one of my J friends with super-clean homes to come in and help me declutter, by saying "Do you REALLY need to keep this board game from your childhood with half the pieces missing? I mean, really?"
    I know, right?!

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    To offer a contrast with INFP's, I actually don't keep my environment clutter-free. I tend to keep things in places where I'm more likely to use them or see them, in fact. I tidy my house up if I think I might be having company or something (which is rare), but otherwise I don't see a point... put stuff away just so I can pull it back out again? For what?

I do have a tendency to leave things in the same places, though, and I don't think I let it get too bad. I know a few SJ's who literally pull something out that they know they'll be using again shortly (within a few hours), use it once, put it back up, and then take it back out each time, when it would have been much easier to leave it out until you were actually done with it, or even permanently locate it in a more accessible place. If it weren't so socially accepted, I'd swear that behavior had traces of OCD in it.

I've noticed that for me, things I use frequently (more than three times a week) tend to get left out, and other things usually get put away. Unless I have company, in which case I actually do put everything away... and then pull most of it right back out by the next day or two.
    That's exactly the way I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Hear, hear !! My dream house would actually have enough surfaces that everything that is used regularly would have its own surface and would thus never need to be "put away".
    I hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    The third poll option made me laugh.

I am around half P - and I'm not very cluttered. I can find my things if I need to find them, and that's really the most important thing. I find extreme amounts of clutter rather disturbing though, so I make sure things don't quite progress to that state.
    I saw that 3rd poll option on someone else's poll once, and thought it was a great idea. No poll should be without it!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Can I vote on behalf of my INFP mom?

She's always had trouble with clutter...more because she never could find time to do housework than because of collecting sentimental things though...although she does that too, to a degree. And a lack of organization means that things don't really have places to go, so they just accumulate everywhere.
    Yes. I suffer from this, too, actually. I have noticed though that I have always done well keeping small spaces organized, like my desk at school, my locker, or my van. These days, I just have too much stuff that doesn't have any place where it belongs.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I have noticed though that I have always done well keeping small spaces organized, like my desk at school, my locker, or my van.
    Kind of the same here. Small spaces I can do without too much problem, but big spaces overwhelm me. I *try* to see them as a collection of small places, and it helps a bit, but I must make sure that I don't start making a list of all the "small places" that need cleaning, or I crumble under the pressure :rolli:

These days, I just have too much stuff that doesn't have any place where it belongs.
    Not good, not good !!

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Huh. I dislike clutter, and like to keep things tidy in my apartment. Ambience is rather important to me. (But yeah, if I play a game of scrabble at 11 in the morning, and think I might play it later on in the day, I have no need to put it away, I'll just leave it out)

My INTP brother, on the other hand, would be quite fine if things just became a crazy mess. But he's awesome, he does a good job of humoring me - especially in the kitchen. Other areas, like laundry room and family room, it's not an issue. He spends most of his time in his bedroom anyway - and his bedroom is...messy. But I have no doubt he knows where everything is!

The only thing that's a disaster zone for me is inside my desk. So I guess I'm the opposite of some here!! I can keep my large spaces organized, and prefer it that way, but I don't care a bit about inside my desk. And in my old apartment, my closet was a nightmare too. But I plan on keeping my new closet clean so it doesn't go the route of the old one! :-)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ