User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Now cafe, here is the state of the case: you are not 'good' unless you perform complete self-abnegation. Namely everything that is part of you shall suffer. You, your children and everything that you like. Than maybe the next world shall enjoy paradise, but you shall never know about it nor find satisfaction that you've caused this.

This is the price for dissolution of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I never said it was selfless. I said specifically that it was selfish.
    Exactly. We cant be selfless. Because of this all of the good in the world has to be illusory.

Hence this necessarily follows.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Happiness is only a dream, pain is real.... I have experienced this for eighty years. I know of nothing better than to resign myself to this and to say flies are born to be eaten by spiders, and men to be devoured by trouble and affliction

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Exactly. We cant be selfless. Because of this all of the good in the world has to be illusory.

Hence this necessarily follows.
    So my wanting a good thing for my grandchildren which would also result in a better place for everybody's grandchildren cannot possibly result in an actual better place because my motives are not pure? That's like saying that people cannot have been saved of dying from smallpox because one of the first men to vaccinate against it did so in order to protect his own family from the disease.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

So my wanting a good thing for my grandchildren which would also result in a better place for everybody's grandchildren cannot possibly result in an actual better place because my motives are not pure? .
    Yes. This is exactly what the scripture of how man is dead in his sins means.

Only through pure motives can we be saved. And man's motives are never pure. Nor could ever be.

People being saved from dying does not constitute the real good.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Yes. This is exactly what the scripture of how man is dead in his sins means.

Only through pure motives can we be saved. And man's motives are never pure. Nor could ever be.

People being saved from dying does not constitute the real good.
    Um, yeah. I think Paul would agree with you on that.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Um, yeah. I think Paul would agree with you on that.
    Now do you see why I am saying that man is a futile passion? No 'magnanimity' on our part can lift the burden of depravity of us.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Now do you see why I am saying that man is a futile passion? No 'magnanimity' on our part can lift the burden of depravity of us.
    I've seen what you're saying all along. I just don't agree 100%. I believe that man is both evil and good. I don't believe that our good acts can redeem us, but I do not believe that good ceases to be good because it was done by someone who is less than perfect and has less than pure motives.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I've seen what you're saying all along. I just don't agree 100%. I believe that man is both evil and good. I don't believe that our good acts can redeem us, but I do not believe that good ceases to be good because it was done by someone who is less than perfect and has less than pure motives.

In a way we could do good, but we could never be good.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Yep.
    ~ John Rogers

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Of course not! I thought this was settled way back... people are neither good nor bad... only their actions and intent can be perceived as such.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Of course not! I thought this was settled way back... people are neither good nor bad... only their actions and intent can be perceived as such.

Yet all actions, no matter how good they are lead to greater evil than good in the long run. Death is a great allegory for that. Everything we do, we do unto our eventual demise.