User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Sometimes

MBTI
    eNFP

Default Sometimes

Sometimes I just wish I could let young people with a strong N know that things will be so much better for them when they are older.

Anyone else?

autumn

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by autumn View Post
    Sometimes I just wish I could let young people with a strong N know that things will be so much better for them when they are older.
    Why can't you?

I remember my mother (also an INTJ) telling me when I was around 13 and socially frustrated that my time would come. That worked for me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I wouldn't probably have believed it when I was young, so I normally don't say too much. I just commiserate.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

What can I say... I'm really future oriented.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    What can I say... I'm really future oriented.
    I did hope, but it was only the faintest glimmer. Turning thirty was one of the best things I've ever done. Wish I'd done it years sooner.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by autumn View Post

Anyone else?

autumn
    that's comforting. I wonder how old is older though. Always feels like a very long road to fit in/be accepted for whom you are.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm with Cafe. I never would have believed it, especially not with all the psycho garbage going on around me. Being a really strong N is the pits when you're growing up in a bad environment. I still envy Sensers so much, and sometimes wish I was one, even though I realize I'm the furthest thing from an S as you can possibly get (with exception to Sphinxy Wildcat).

It's kind of you to try though, Autumn. Some kid (like child Economica) benefited from that approach.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I'm with Cafe. I never would have believed it, especially not with all the psycho garbage going on around me. Being a really strong N is the pits when you're growing up in a bad environment. I still envy Sensers so much, and sometimes wish I was one, even though I realize I'm the furthest thing from an S as you can possibly get
    Just out of curiosity, what makes you think an S otherwise identical to you would have been happier in the bad environment you grew up in?

It's kind of you to try though, Autumn. Some kid (like child Economica) benefited from that approach.
    A key element is that my mother was able to convincingly argue that my future would be brighter than my present. I don't see why that approach shouldn't comfort any future-oriented child...?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what makes you think an S otherwise identical to you would have been happier in the bad environment you grew up in?
    Oh no, I didn't mean happier. NO ONE could have been happy in that environment (point of fact, many people I grew up with were Ss and they were miserable too). What I should clarify is that I envied (still envy) their "in the now" and ability to roll with the punches. I saw them as being less than immortal and more than human. I was resilient, meaning I could absorb a lot of impact and still come back from it, but the Ss were TOUGH. Just flat-out tough and sturdy. I wanted to be tough and sturdy. I was NOT. Suffering was like being vivisected, and my Ss were never writhing around even when they were losing their minds.

A key element is that my mother was able to convincingly argue that my future would be brighter than my present. I don't see why that approach shouldn't comfort any future-oriented child...?
    What made it a convincing argument though? I couldn't take much direction from adults back then because they were the ones setting the world on fire and I was having to put it out. The roles were reversed. I had one, maybe two adults in my formative years who were able to instill some sanity and "this/you will change/get better" without my automatic brain response of "Reject this -- it came from an adult and adults are crazy".
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I did hope, but it was only the faintest glimmer. Turning thirty was one of the best things I've ever done. Wish I'd done it years sooner.
    My 30s still was not as good as my 40s!
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters