Thread: Sometimes

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Well, for one thing, we all get breasts.
    Seriously?? Wow! I've always wanted those.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Old age should be endless amusements galore! I can't wait to hike my pants up to my sternum!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Actually I don't think it could hurt to try to let someone know it will get easier/better when they're older. They might gain some consolation out of it, and if not, well, it was worth a shot!!

I feel like my mom said similar things now and then - more along the lines of, 'I didn't have a good time in high school either, you know'. I just have a foggy memory for details like that from so long ago!!

I DO recall her saying, 'Well, you're certainly unique' at one point; she didn't elaborate though!! So I was left feeling...weird. So I wouldn't suggest taking that tactic!! Stay more positive and assuring!!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    INTJ

I really didn't start this well, did I?

For that reason and also because I agree with you, PP, that my efforts are better directed elsewhere anyway, I hereby retract my accusation of inaccurate S/N generalizing. My apologies.

I confine myself to the statement that I disagree that Sensers are only 'temporarily affected' by a bad environment and cannot be 'broken'.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    By bringing up the subject of strong N children needing a word of encouragement, you selected one type over the other to discuss and drew a comparison indirectly - why wouldn't you say the same things to a strong S child?
    I didn't bring up the subject, but that said, I might certainly comfort an S child in the same way as I would an N. I deliberately used the term 'future-oriented', not N, to emphasize the important subtrait.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Sigh.

We can't generalize about S/N.

We can't generalize about getting breasts.

In what OTHER ways is the world going to be unpredictable?

[QUOTE=PinkPiranha;99361...The Ss I knew, even the sensitive ones, seemed to be able to suffer and hate it and think the chaos was nuts, but NOT internalize it. They'd be angry, or frustrated, or they'd act out, etc, but it never seemed to break them or get into their bloodstreams like poison as it did with me. They could really "take a hit" and roll with it. I, on the other hand, seemed to have no choice but to absorb everything like a sponge. It wrecked my health, made me a ball of nerves, jacked my already hot temper through the roof. I could never seem to get a catharsis....

Happy is bad word to apply, I think, to this situation. I would be more inclined to choose "permanently unaffected" or "temporarily affected only". The S ability to ground is what I wish I had, but don't. I'm not saying they're armor-plated, but Ss can filter out a great deal of stuff that I can't even begin to ignore/look away from...[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I confine myself to the statement that I disagree that Sensers are only 'temporarily affected' by a bad environment and cannot be 'broken'.
    Don't feel bad, Eco -- I actually agree with you on this one.

My experience has been the opposite of PP's. The S's I have known usually took things worse, because they had no escape valve. The N's I have known could mostly look beyond the pain, or use their N to "escape" the present moment and thus not endure as much of the grief.

In any case, I do not feel comfortable generalizing S/N based on my personal experience. I don't think we can judge whether an S or an N will be "broken more" by a bad environment.

At the very least, you're going to have to drill down further into archetypes or even the specific types (particular ones out of the 16) before you can even make some very BROAD generalizations...

...and even then, a lot of it still depends on the person in question, their particular past, their decisions in the face of their pain, and any other odd wrenches thrown into the works.

I can see, PP, your experience being more particular to some ENFJ types, PERHAPS... but not even close to being across the board for N's... especially NTJs.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

My point wasn't that they CAN'T be broken, it's that I find Ss less likely than Ns to be snapped in half physically.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sigh.

We can't generalize about S/N.

We can't generalize about getting breasts.

In what OTHER ways is the world going to be unpredictable?
    But Jennifer, breasts are MADE to be generalized!! *sulks* *kicks a rock petulantly*
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

It's always something... Array PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    My 30s still was not as good as my 40s!
    Same with me. 50's better still, that's got to be the only thing being 50 is good for.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    istp

If I could find someone 40+ who is like me, I'd kidnap them for questioning.

Ss are usually about results! In pain and suffering, you can't deny that the best outcome would be to get over it, moping serves no purpose.

I think it depends on capability... incapable Ss will be terrible if they can't help themselves since that's our saving grace... capable Ss can truck though quite a bit.

~dangerous curves ahead~ Array
    MBTI
    ENTP

Pink is probably coming from the fact that low Ses can sometimes miss seeing reality as it is, and sometimes, seeing things as they are is the first step to being able to work things out, vs seeing it and ascribing meanings to it which may not be there, and the heart hungers for meanings which may not be, simply.

Why in a sense, I think Ses could have (emphasis could have) had an easier time growing up, and even in a bad environment, is simply because there're more of them around, so in a way, they've more people whom they could potentially find as friends, guardians, relations and mentors with, who'd understand them more immediately?

But regardless, a bad childhood of abuse can scar anyone deeply. It is ultimately a personal thing to work out, regardless of type, just that the point of release comes differently for each, isn't it.

I think the point of release comes, when the N starts to realise that escaping into your own world or internalising things have a limit before a serious dissociation from reality starts.

For an S, it is perhaps to realise that there are sometimes multi-layered ways of intepreting something, and to listen more to the inbetweens?

Breasts? *rofl* There was this funny chain email I saw recently, a spoof of that "I've learnt that" email. It went, "I've learnt that. . charm can only get you by for 15minutes. . after that, you'd better have big boobs or a big willy".