User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Sometimes

MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I wonder how old is older though. Always feels like a very long road to fit in/be accepted for whom you are.
    Yes, this is true. It may very well take a lifetime sometimes, and I don't know if anyone is ever universally accepted (and that's okay). It's definitely a work in progress thing.

MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Why can't you?
    I could! I think I just meant on some kind of dramatic world-saving kind of level, but on the practical level it definitely starts with the individuals you encounter in everyday life and making a positive difference for them.

And I do realize that not everyone with a strong N preference may have a hard time with it as a kid, too. But for those who really feel like aliens, I can imagine it would be a great comfort to know that (though there are no guarantees) the potential for their lives to get a lot better in that regard seems to increase exponentially as they enter adulthood.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Oh no, I didn't mean happier. NO ONE could have been happy in that environment (point of fact, many people I grew up with were Ss and they were miserable too). What I should clarify is that I envied (still envy) their "in the now" and ability to roll with the punches. I saw them as being less than immortal and more than human. I was resilient, meaning I could absorb a lot of impact and still come back from it, but the Ss were TOUGH. Just flat-out tough and sturdy. I wanted to be tough and sturdy. I was NOT. Suffering was like being vivisected, and my Ss were never writhing around even when they were losing their minds.
    How were they not happier if they were suffering less?

What made it a convincing argument though? I couldn't take much direction from adults back then because they were the ones setting the world on fire and I was having to put it out. The roles were reversed. I had one, maybe two adults in my formative years who were able to instill some sanity and "this/you will change/get better" without my automatic brain response of "Reject this -- it came from an adult and adults are crazy".
    What if the one or two adults you listened to back then had argued that your future would be brighter than your present for <insert reasons that your current present is in fact better than your past>, do you think you would have been comforted then?

Quote Originally Posted by autumn View Post
    But for those who really feel like aliens, I can imagine it would be a great comfort to know that (though there are no guarantees) the potential for their lives to get a lot better in that regard seems to increase exponentially as they enter adulthood.
    I agree - as I said, worked for me.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

How were they not happier if they were suffering less?
    I'm going to further clarify by defining what *I* mean by "happy" and see if that helps. To me, happy indicates a level of contentment or livability in spite of external chaos. The Ss I knew, even the sensitive ones, seemed to be able to suffer and hate it and think the chaos was nuts, but NOT internalize it. They'd be angry, or frustrated, or they'd act out, etc, but it never seemed to break them or get into their bloodstreams like poison as it did with me. They could really "take a hit" and roll with it. I, on the other hand, seemed to have no choice but to absorb everything like a sponge. It wrecked my health, made me a ball of nerves, jacked my already hot temper through the roof. I could never seem to get a catharsis.

My mother is a very strong S and she's told me that being an N must be a chore because she knew from getting a crash course in raising two N kids how much like spooky otherworldly wild animals we can be.

Happy is bad word to apply, I think, to this situation. I would be more inclined to choose "permanently unaffected" or "temporarily affected only". The S ability to ground is what I wish I had, but don't. I'm not saying they're armor-plated, but Ss can filter out a great deal of stuff that I can't even begin to ignore/look away from, and they have a level of ease in their environment that can't be taught, so I pretty much want what I can't have.

What if the one or two adults you listened to back then had argued that your future would be brighter than your present for <insert reasons that your current present is in fact better than your past>, do you think you would have been comforted then?
    Yes. Yes, I probably would have. I know it would have made me a lot calmer.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    My 30s still was not as good as my 40s!
    That is good news, especially since I'm coming up on 40 in a few years!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    The Ss I knew, even the sensitive ones, seemed to be able to suffer and hate it and think the chaos was nuts, but NOT internalize it. They'd be angry, or frustrated, or they'd act out, etc, but it never seemed to break them or get into their bloodstreams like poison as it did with me. (...) Happy is bad word to apply, I think, to this situation. I would be more inclined to choose "permanently unaffected" or "temporarily affected only". (...) I'm not saying they're armor-plated
    I don't know why the Ss you grew up with dealt better than you did, but trust me, Ss can be permanently affected by a bad environment. I know plenty who did not manage to roll with it and who were in fact broken.

I'm sure you mean well, PP; I'm just highly sensitive to inaccurate S/N generalizing because it makes MBTI-interested Ss uninterested in MBTIc.

Yes. Yes, I probably would have. I know it would have made me a lot calmer.
    I believe we have a mission. Away, to comfort the young aliens!

MBTI
    eNFP

I believe we have a mission. Away, to comfort the young aliens!
    I think you pretty much said it perfectly right there!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm sure you mean well, PP; I'm just highly sensitive to inaccurate S/N generalizing because it makes MBTI-interested Ss uninterested in MBTIc.
    I hope you don't mean to say that I'm generalizing or casting a negative shadow on Sensers simply because I express an opinion about one or two aspects of them that I like? I've repeatedly encouraged another ISFJ friend to remain here at the board IN SPITE of her being treated rather badly, so if I was down on or misguided about Sensers, I seriously doubt that I would have so many of them as close friends.

You're going to find "generalizations" about ANY two groups when you actively compare them. Is that not what a comparison is? Is that not the whole point - beyond personal understanding - of the MBTI? Compare, contrast, build on. By bringing up the subject of strong N children needing a word of encouragement, you selected one type over the other to discuss and drew a comparison indirectly - why wouldn't you say the same things to a strong S child? What's the implication there?

I can appreciate your sensitivity to the plight of the S venturing into the MBTI (I have many long emails/PMs on the very subject, which is why I find this 'I'm sure you mean well' post a little ironic), but you might turn that truly noble defense on someone who's actually doing them harm, not me.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    infp

What happens when you get older?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    What happens when you get older?
    Well, for one thing, we all get breasts.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code