User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 54

Thread: Sometimes

  1. #11
    Senior Member autumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I wonder how old is older though. Always feels like a very long road to fit in/be accepted for whom you are.
    Yes, this is true. It may very well take a lifetime sometimes, and I don't know if anyone is ever universally accepted (and that's okay). It's definitely a work in progress thing.

  2. #12
    Senior Member autumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Why can't you?
    I could! I think I just meant on some kind of dramatic world-saving kind of level, but on the practical level it definitely starts with the individuals you encounter in everyday life and making a positive difference for them.

    And I do realize that not everyone with a strong N preference may have a hard time with it as a kid, too. But for those who really feel like aliens, I can imagine it would be a great comfort to know that (though there are no guarantees) the potential for their lives to get a lot better in that regard seems to increase exponentially as they enter adulthood.

  3. #13
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Oh no, I didn't mean happier. NO ONE could have been happy in that environment (point of fact, many people I grew up with were Ss and they were miserable too). What I should clarify is that I envied (still envy) their "in the now" and ability to roll with the punches. I saw them as being less than immortal and more than human. I was resilient, meaning I could absorb a lot of impact and still come back from it, but the Ss were TOUGH. Just flat-out tough and sturdy. I wanted to be tough and sturdy. I was NOT. Suffering was like being vivisected, and my Ss were never writhing around even when they were losing their minds.
    How were they not happier if they were suffering less?

    What made it a convincing argument though? I couldn't take much direction from adults back then because they were the ones setting the world on fire and I was having to put it out. The roles were reversed. I had one, maybe two adults in my formative years who were able to instill some sanity and "this/you will change/get better" without my automatic brain response of "Reject this -- it came from an adult and adults are crazy".
    What if the one or two adults you listened to back then had argued that your future would be brighter than your present for <insert reasons that your current present is in fact better than your past>, do you think you would have been comforted then?

    Quote Originally Posted by autumn View Post
    But for those who really feel like aliens, I can imagine it would be a great comfort to know that (though there are no guarantees) the potential for their lives to get a lot better in that regard seems to increase exponentially as they enter adulthood.
    I agree - as I said, worked for me.

  4. #14
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    How were they not happier if they were suffering less?
    I'm going to further clarify by defining what *I* mean by "happy" and see if that helps. To me, happy indicates a level of contentment or livability in spite of external chaos. The Ss I knew, even the sensitive ones, seemed to be able to suffer and hate it and think the chaos was nuts, but NOT internalize it. They'd be angry, or frustrated, or they'd act out, etc, but it never seemed to break them or get into their bloodstreams like poison as it did with me. They could really "take a hit" and roll with it. I, on the other hand, seemed to have no choice but to absorb everything like a sponge. It wrecked my health, made me a ball of nerves, jacked my already hot temper through the roof. I could never seem to get a catharsis.

    My mother is a very strong S and she's told me that being an N must be a chore because she knew from getting a crash course in raising two N kids how much like spooky otherworldly wild animals we can be.

    Happy is bad word to apply, I think, to this situation. I would be more inclined to choose "permanently unaffected" or "temporarily affected only". The S ability to ground is what I wish I had, but don't. I'm not saying they're armor-plated, but Ss can filter out a great deal of stuff that I can't even begin to ignore/look away from, and they have a level of ease in their environment that can't be taught, so I pretty much want what I can't have.


    What if the one or two adults you listened to back then had argued that your future would be brighter than your present for <insert reasons that your current present is in fact better than your past>, do you think you would have been comforted then?
    Yes. Yes, I probably would have. I know it would have made me a lot calmer.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  5. #15
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    My 30s still was not as good as my 40s!
    That is good news, especially since I'm coming up on 40 in a few years!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  6. #16
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    The Ss I knew, even the sensitive ones, seemed to be able to suffer and hate it and think the chaos was nuts, but NOT internalize it. They'd be angry, or frustrated, or they'd act out, etc, but it never seemed to break them or get into their bloodstreams like poison as it did with me. (...) Happy is bad word to apply, I think, to this situation. I would be more inclined to choose "permanently unaffected" or "temporarily affected only". (...) I'm not saying they're armor-plated
    I don't know why the Ss you grew up with dealt better than you did, but trust me, Ss can be permanently affected by a bad environment. I know plenty who did not manage to roll with it and who were in fact broken.

    I'm sure you mean well, PP; I'm just highly sensitive to inaccurate S/N generalizing because it makes MBTI-interested Ss uninterested in MBTIc.

    Yes. Yes, I probably would have. I know it would have made me a lot calmer.
    I believe we have a mission. Away, to comfort the young aliens!

  7. #17
    Senior Member autumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I believe we have a mission. Away, to comfort the young aliens!
    I think you pretty much said it perfectly right there!

  8. #18
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I'm sure you mean well, PP; I'm just highly sensitive to inaccurate S/N generalizing because it makes MBTI-interested Ss uninterested in MBTIc.
    I hope you don't mean to say that I'm generalizing or casting a negative shadow on Sensers simply because I express an opinion about one or two aspects of them that I like? I've repeatedly encouraged another ISFJ friend to remain here at the board IN SPITE of her being treated rather badly, so if I was down on or misguided about Sensers, I seriously doubt that I would have so many of them as close friends.

    You're going to find "generalizations" about ANY two groups when you actively compare them. Is that not what a comparison is? Is that not the whole point - beyond personal understanding - of the MBTI? Compare, contrast, build on. By bringing up the subject of strong N children needing a word of encouragement, you selected one type over the other to discuss and drew a comparison indirectly - why wouldn't you say the same things to a strong S child? What's the implication there?

    I can appreciate your sensitivity to the plight of the S venturing into the MBTI (I have many long emails/PMs on the very subject, which is why I find this 'I'm sure you mean well' post a little ironic), but you might turn that truly noble defense on someone who's actually doing them harm, not me.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  9. #19
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    What happens when you get older?

  10. #20
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    What happens when you get older?
    Well, for one thing, we all get breasts.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Similar Threads

  1. Why Are INTJs Sometimes Confused As Extraverts?
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
  2. INTP here to lurk (maybe post sometimes.)
    By Jughead in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
  3. [MBTItm] My husband tested ISFP but seems to be NT sometimes
    By BookLady in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 06:42 AM
  4. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction...
    By Wolf in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO