User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default Am I the only one having imaginary conversations?

Hi NFs!

As i walked home from the supermarket yesterday I had a long talk with Mark Twain (well actually it was more of a monologue, I´m afraid) about the changes the 20th century brought us and what he would have liked and what he wouldn´t have liked. I tried to explain the magnitude of some events and developements and it suddenly struck me that I had no clue whether doing this is relatively normal or if I have gone mad some time ago.

I should add that I have had imaginary conversations with both fictional and real people, dead and alive, people I know and people I never met, since my teens.

Anyone else doing this?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Phantonym

Hello, fellow mad person. You're not alone, if that's any consolation! I do the "conversations" as well and have done so for as long as...I can't even remember. So far I haven't really ventured into convos with dead or fictional people, they've mostly been people I have come into contact with personally or people who are "known" to the wider audience. Sometimes, with friends, it can be a pain to remember that we've never really talked about some stuff.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Do you speak out loud?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Hi NFs!

As i walked home from the supermarket yesterday I had a long talk with Mark Twain (well actually it was more of a monologue, I´m afraid) about the changes the 20th century brought us and what he would have liked and what he wouldn´t have liked. I tried to explain the magnitude of some events and developements and it suddenly struck me that I had no clue whether doing this is relatively normal or if I have gone mad some time ago.

I should add that I have had imaginary conversations with both fictional and real people, dead and alive, people I know and people I never met, since my teens.

Anyone else doing this?
    LOL yes. Most of the conversations I have are imaginary. I like having the "advances of society/science" conversation too - the last one was with Jane Austen.

This must be an INFP thing. I don't have clue why we do it. Maybe its a combination of a strong imagination with the tendency to be disappointed with most social interaction.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Riva

I have imaginary conversations too. Most of them are with myself. I talk to a imagine myself as the imagined person and make silly comments or imagine myself doing crazy things. And i end up laughing at them.

So the person who laughs is the real person. Which leads me in to awkward positions. On so many occassions people have stared at me and asked me what was so funny.

What should I tell them? That I was laughing at a joke I cracked as a third perso?.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    I have imaginary conversations too. Most of them are with myself. I talk to a imagine myself as the imagined person and make silly comments or imagine myself doing crazy things. And i end up laughing at them.

So the person who laughs is the real person. Which leads me in to awkward positions. On so many occassions people have stared at me and asked me what was so funny.

What should I tell them? That I was laughing at a joke I cracked as a third perso?.
    LOL I know exactly what you mean! Embarassing! That's why I try my best to restrict this to when I'm alone. Unfortunately, sometimes its too tempting.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    LOL I know exactly what you mean! Embarassing! That's why I try my best to restrict this to when I'm alone. Unfortunately, sometimes its too tempting.
    The issue is my funny moments are usually comments made by my imaginary person at people who are in my line of sight.

So it's too hard to control it.

And i should add that the jokes are cracked by the imaginary person. i can't tell him to stop can I?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

lol. I'm not NF, but I live in a world of imaginary conversations... past, present, future. I do it for fun and when I need to lay things out for myself. Or whatever, they have different purposes. But I can't imagine not doing it. Imaginary conversations, scenarios, ect. With people, dead or alive.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    The issue is my funny moments are usually comments made by my imaginary person at people who are in my line of sight.

So it's too hard to control it.

And i should add that the jokes are cracked by the imaginary person. i can't tell him to stop can I?
    Is your imaginary person funnier than you are?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Im not nf, but i do this nearly all the time. I also imagine situations, on what i say in them, do in them, what others do and say in them.

When there is something bothering me it can help me to figure out things that i wouldnt normally get. But most the time i just do this for fun.