• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Am I the only one having imaginary conversations?

under skies

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I should add that I have had imaginary conversations with both fictional and real people, dead and alive, people I know and people I never met, since my teens.

I do all of those things all the time.

Sometimes I even get imaginary-interviewed because I'm, you know, so famous...

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sure. Similar to what some others have shared, for me sometimes thinking out a dialog helps me synthesize my internal thoughts and intuitive feelings about something. And yes I usually do it about issues that I likely will have to articulate in the future. The imagined conversations unfold naturally, it really is not a rehearsal scenario. In the course of an internal dialog I can sometimes can come to new insights I hadn't considered before. And sometimes later real life conversations play out like my prior imagined ones. I have always done this, but I recognize that it may sound strange to people who don't.

Evi

MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh yes, all the time. Sometimes they are a rehearsal for difficult conversations I will have to have. Other times they are merely to amuse myself. I do find that if the imaginary conversation is for example, with an absent friend, my half will often end up in letters to them at some point.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do the same thing. I think it's just a way of processing thoughts creatively.

Sabre

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am an INTJ and to do Imagined Conversations, sometimes the mind has tendency to lie to her self, what I do is make a division in my mind and create a character, this character I used my favourite one that has a way of thinking. Now you imagine that character talking to you like it was someone else, you automatic will "hear" that character talk to you like it was someone else and will help you think without lying to yourself because you are "disconnecting" that character from your main mind.

I don't if I made sense but it works for me.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I generally test my ideas by representing them to a roomful of imaginary students. That's a specific example - but I actually have imaginary conversations all through the day.

Mole

Permabanned
The Wind in the Willows

Hi NFs!

As i walked home from the supermarket yesterday I had a long talk with Mark Twain (well actually it was more of a monologue, I´m afraid) about the changes the 20th century brought us and what he would have liked and what he wouldn´t have liked. I tried to explain the magnitude of some events and developements and it suddenly struck me that I had no clue whether doing this is relatively normal or if I have gone mad some time ago.

I should add that I have had imaginary conversations with both fictional and real people, dead and alive, people I know and people I never met, since my teens.

Anyone else doing this?

I feel that I am having an imaginary conversation with you. And I feel rather shy. I think it is because I can't immediately tell how you are feeling. So I am holding my breath waiting to see how you feel.

I mean I like you and I wonder whether you like me but I can't tell until I hear your tone of voice.

I wonder what it sounds like - I mean your tone of voice. In what tone will you address me? And of course there is the tone of my reply influencing your tone.

Two tones, a two tone relationship - will they harmonise - I mean the tones. Or will they clash like two cymbals.

What is very nice about you is that you are a translator of languages. I think I can relax into that and just listen to you - laughing at your jokes and nodding at your insights.

But what I am left with is your tone of voice, like the sound of the wind in the trees, or indeed the sound of the wind in the willows.

So just click on -

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Chapter 1

And read it to me.

- Oh yes, do.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi NFs!

As i walked home from the supermarket yesterday I had a long talk with Mark Twain (well actually it was more of a monologue, I´m afraid) about the changes the 20th century brought us and what he would have liked and what he wouldn´t have liked. I tried to explain the magnitude of some events and developements and it suddenly struck me that I had no clue whether doing this is relatively normal or if I have gone mad some time ago.

Anyone else doing this?

You are ver much not alone. I too talk to imaginaries... out loud sometimes, when i quite forget myself.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
A lot, actually. Just never when I'm around people.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
omg...this is why i love people...people are so fucking bizarre and i love it when people bring up things that no one ever talks about...that's so weird and so funny..haha

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i usually do right before i go to bed.
i think it's a mix of unresolved issues and fantasy's and nonsense "what ifs".

i usually don't remember it when i wake up the next morning.

Tradewind

MBTI Type
INFJ
Wow! I do this all the time! It started right before bed one night when I couldn't fall asleep. After awhile I thought I was going crazy. My dad (INFP) is a psychologist and thinks I should get help. At least now I know of a whole slew of people who are just as crazy.

leblue15

I do this all the time, with people I know and people I wish to know....its a love/hate thing cause its inevitable I always find myself having this imaginary conversations but sometimes I hate it so much because I realize its not real and I want them to be real... alone I can be so articulate and with other people I just mute so its very frustating.... I also hate it cause when I get to speak in real life its never the way I imagined it to be.....

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
Yes. I sometimes imagine myself to be a reporter, saying to some other imagined audience about what's currently happening around me.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
Hi NFs!

Anyone else doing this?

I pretty much dot his, but its mostly internal, I normally dont vocalize them, sometimes I will write them down...

Vorm Krieg

Curious to see that so many others are also doing this.

For me it is a way of articulating some thought or idea I've come up with - finding the exact words to use for presenting it's principles in the clearest way possible. In my mind I imagine myself surrounded by a few people to wich I am going through my train of thought.

I've found it to be a very useful method - most of the times it plays out just as I've pictured it.

I guess it's about preparation and wanting to be understood. I take ideas very seriously and also want for others to consider them, or at least give them critique. And letting others respond to these ideas gives me opportunity to map out their thought process. It's a way of getting closer to other people, I think.

Mole

Permabanned
Self Talk and Central

Hi NFs!

Anyone else doing this?

We all have self talk. Some of us have learnt to turn of the self talk and enter a state of ecstasy. But for most of us, we not only talk subliminally to ourselves, but we also listen.

But things are changing. Not only do we talk to ourselves but we talk to one another on Central. And talk on Central is very like self talk. It is almost as though we are talking to ourselves, but not quite. It's like self talk Jim, but not as we know it.

It is as though our minds no longer live just inside our heads, but also now live on Central. And living on Central is living in public. It is as though our central nervous system is no longer just on the inside, but is on the outside as well. And all we have to do is reach out and touch one another.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, I talk to myself all the time.

It's better now, since cell phones are so tiny people just assume you are talking on a cell. If you wish, you could wear an ear piece. That way they'll say, "Oh, he's just talking to someone on the cell phone."