User Tag List

First 678

Smile Translating Heidegger

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Well, the conversations are in my head, it's not the same as talking to yourself out loud when you are angry or trying to solve a puzzle.

As others have said, the other person in the conversation will usually represent an idea or a cencept and serves as a mental white board to help you look at your own thoughts from a certain semi-detached distance. But it isn't a conscious process, I don't decide to talk to, say, Bill Gates about Windows, he just pops up in my head and I am talking to him until the metalevel sets in and I notice: Hey, you are talking to Bill Gates, you are doing it again, weirdo!

It also happens with people I know and interact with when I am discussing more personal things (like mentally talking to my parents about my childhood or an ex about a previous relationship or a friend about something we recently discussed in real life).

My guess is that it is an unconscious mechanism to sort out your thoughts, but I have no control over it.

As for the scenario with the traffic accident that skylights described, this is something quite different, I think. But I do that as well...all the time. Might be hyperactive Ne. It sure is a lot of fun...Ne rocks!
    I dunno Red, we just want you to have conversations with us. We want you to be our women in Germany.

What does she do?, they ask.

She's a translator, I say.

Ooo, they reply, what's that?

You'll have to ask her, I say, but she does talk to herself a lot, I say.

Perhaps she is talking to famous people, they say.

Well, I was talking to Heidegger the other day and he has gone right off being, I said.

No, they said, gone right off being? Perhaps you can get Red to talk to him, she could even speak to him in German.

Well he's dead, deceased, left our mortal coil, I said.

Well, perhaps she could imagine talking to him, you know have an imaginary conversation, they said.

OK, I'll ask her, I said.

So dear Red Herring, would you be kind enough to have an imaginary conversation with Martin Heidegger and subtley and quietly ask him why and how he has gone off being?

We await your reply.

Banned
    Enneagram
    6w6

My mother thinks I have imaginary conversations when I play with my Ouija Board. Silly mom!

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Anyone else doing this?
    I have monologues with my pets while they stare at me, probably wondering why the fuck I'm talking to myself.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Well I do have imaginary talks with myself most of the time, and when I am observing people, I accidentally start making jokes in my head which causes me to smile, then people (my family) ask 'whats so funny?' . If I tell them its me making jokes myself they will think I am crazy,(not that they don't right now) but I have had talks with famous people before, when I was a kid I used to do it with my favorite authors .....never mind I don't know one thing about them XD

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Anyone else doing this?
    INTJ here. Yes, I do this often! It's a sort of "film creation" for me. I usually imagine funny conversations, comedy-like... and also amuse myself with these imaginations. An ISTP I know recently punched me because she thought I was making fun of her.

I think I do this because I don't want to waste "imagination capacity". I never understood those people who entertain themselves by playing simple games on their phone.

Hi NFs!

As i walked home from the supermarket yesterday I had a long talk with Mark Twain (well actually it was more of a monologue, I´m afraid) about the changes the 20th century brought us and what he would have liked and what he wouldn´t have liked. I tried to explain the magnitude of some events and developements and it suddenly struck me that I had no clue whether doing this is relatively normal or if I have gone mad some time ago.

I should add that I have had imaginary conversations with both fictional and real people, dead and alive, people I know and people I never met, since my teens.

Anyone else doing this?
    I do this a lot, when I'm alone of course. I also carry on conversations with my dog and the television.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

OP: Everyone here is doing that. We're just on this site to make it look like we're talking to someone else.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Smile The Typology of Conversations

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    OP: Everyone here is doing that. We're just on this site to make it look like we're talking to someone else.
    Of course, we are all having imaginary conversations right here. Look! I am having an imaginary conversation with Shortnsweet. I secretly like her but would not dare to say so, except in an imaginary conversation.

Normally I say a relationship consists of three parts. Face to face, talking about the person to others, and the conversation we have with them in our imaginations.

But the relationships we have here are not face to face, sometimes we talk about the person to others, but mostly our conversations are in our imaginations.

So we can say we share our imaginations.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ???

haha...all these years I thought I was batshit crazy! I suppose I still could be but at least I am in good company.

I monologue as though I am speaking to another person. I have always had difficulty conveying ideas, thoughts, theories, etc... because each one encompasses so much and is linked to so many other points! I habitually think and speak in tangents. I think I may have started doing this as a way to practice talking to people and being understood.
    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I have monologues with my pets while they stare at me, probably wondering why the fuck I'm talking to myself.
    I was under the impression imaginary conversations were kind of an N thing, but I guess not