User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I should add that I have had imaginary conversations with both fictional and real people, dead and alive, people I know and people I never met, since my teens.
    I do all of those things all the time.

Sometimes I even get imaginary-interviewed because I'm, you know, so famous...

Sure. Similar to what some others have shared, for me sometimes thinking out a dialog helps me synthesize my internal thoughts and intuitive feelings about something. And yes I usually do it about issues that I likely will have to articulate in the future. The imagined conversations unfold naturally, it really is not a rehearsal scenario. In the course of an internal dialog I can sometimes can come to new insights I hadn't considered before. And sometimes later real life conversations play out like my prior imagined ones. I have always done this, but I recognize that it may sound strange to people who don't.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INFJ

Oh yes, all the time. Sometimes they are a rehearsal for difficult conversations I will have to have. Other times they are merely to amuse myself. I do find that if the imaginary conversation is for example, with an absent friend, my half will often end up in letters to them at some point.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I do the same thing. I think it's just a way of processing thoughts creatively.

Anyone else doing this?
    Yeah. I have imaginary arguments too.

MBTI
    INTJ

I am an INTJ and to do Imagined Conversations, sometimes the mind has tendency to lie to her self, what I do is make a division in my mind and create a character, this character I used my favourite one that has a way of thinking. Now you imagine that character talking to you like it was someone else, you automatic will "hear" that character talk to you like it was someone else and will help you think without lying to yourself because you are "disconnecting" that character from your main mind.

I don't if I made sense but it works for me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I generally test my ideas by representing them to a roomful of imaginary students. That's a specific example - but I actually have imaginary conversations all through the day.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

Smile The Wind in the Willows

Hi NFs!

As i walked home from the supermarket yesterday I had a long talk with Mark Twain (well actually it was more of a monologue, I´m afraid) about the changes the 20th century brought us and what he would have liked and what he wouldn´t have liked. I tried to explain the magnitude of some events and developements and it suddenly struck me that I had no clue whether doing this is relatively normal or if I have gone mad some time ago.

I should add that I have had imaginary conversations with both fictional and real people, dead and alive, people I know and people I never met, since my teens.

Anyone else doing this?
    I feel that I am having an imaginary conversation with you. And I feel rather shy. I think it is because I can't immediately tell how you are feeling. So I am holding my breath waiting to see how you feel.

I mean I like you and I wonder whether you like me but I can't tell until I hear your tone of voice.

I wonder what it sounds like - I mean your tone of voice. In what tone will you address me? And of course there is the tone of my reply influencing your tone.

Two tones, a two tone relationship - will they harmonise - I mean the tones. Or will they clash like two cymbals.

What is very nice about you is that you are a translator of languages. I think I can relax into that and just listen to you - laughing at your jokes and nodding at your insights.

But what I am left with is your tone of voice, like the sound of the wind in the trees, or indeed the sound of the wind in the willows.

So just click on -

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Chapter 1

And read it to me.

- Oh yes, do.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Hi NFs!

As i walked home from the supermarket yesterday I had a long talk with Mark Twain (well actually it was more of a monologue, I´m afraid) about the changes the 20th century brought us and what he would have liked and what he wouldn´t have liked. I tried to explain the magnitude of some events and developements and it suddenly struck me that I had no clue whether doing this is relatively normal or if I have gone mad some time ago.

Anyone else doing this?
    You are ver much not alone. I too talk to imaginaries... out loud sometimes, when i quite forget myself.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

A lot, actually. Just never when I'm around people.