User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Another 'all the time' here. When I was younger I used to do it with fictional characters (sometimes ones I'd imagined myself), but it's always real people now. They're much better than my real conversations, which almost always suck. I've always assumed that was why I did it so often, that if I had more satisfying interactions in real life I wouldn't do it as much. But reading all these replies, maybe that isn't the case.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Another 'all the time' here. When I was younger I used to do it with fictional characters (sometimes ones I'd imagined myself), but it's always real people now. They're much better than my real conversations, which almost always suck. I've always assumed that was why I did it so often, that if I had more satisfying interactions in real life I wouldn't do it as much. But reading all these replies, maybe that isn't the case.
    Yes, to the bolded part....although, I thought one of the marks of introversion is finding your inner world more interesting than almost anything else, so I figured that is why the conversations in my imagination tend to be more interesting.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

All Natural! All Good!

I make up people in my head and talk to them all the time. When they make a brilliant comment I don't even attribute it to myself, it's the character's comment. They are like real people. My real-life conversations are very mundane and boring, and like above I used to think if I could make decent friends I would not resort to my head world so much. Turns out one friend is too much to ask for. I also talk aloud sometimes. It's fine when I'm alone, but sometimes I start talking to myself on the street and I don't even notice that people are looking at me until a few minutes have passed.

Does anyone else talk to inanimate objects and create their parts of the conversation?

EDIT: Oh btw I just realized this is in the NF forum. I don't think I'm an NF. Oh well .
    Last edited by strychnine; 06-25-2010 at 04:48 AM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

all the time!
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

MBTI
    INKP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Hi NFs!

As i walked home from the supermarket yesterday I had a long talk with Mark Twain (well actually it was more of a monologue, I´m afraid) about the changes the 20th century brought us and what he would have liked and what he wouldn´t have liked. I tried to explain the magnitude of some events and developements and it suddenly struck me that I had no clue whether doing this is relatively normal or if I have gone mad some time ago.

I should add that I have had imaginary conversations with both fictional and real people, dead and alive, people I know and people I never met, since my teens.

Anyone else doing this?
    I laugh at your insanity, for it approaches my own. I too carry out conversations inside my head, if you could call them that. They often feature a situation rather then a conversation, which I reenact with slight alterations (usually in the form of adding myself to the mix) to pleasing effect. Punishing evil-doers is a common one for me; explaining a confusing topic to someone less understanding is another. I once spent what must have been the better part of an hour teaching Data (from Star Trek) the facets of humor.

As for conversations in the stricter sense, well...that too, though they're usually between my three sub-personalities (which I've named, by the way).
    "Quiiri ath metahn i'ashei?"
    Chronically Gephyrophobic

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I have imaginary conversations in my head sometimes too, but only with real persons I know

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The conversations I have in my head are usually things that I plan on discussing with one of my friends. But I hardly ever bring it up in real life because I've already went through the conversation enough in my head. I have a really hard time keeping track of what I've actually said to someone, and I used to be so good at it!

Other imaginary conversations I have are related to stories and concepts I want to write about. But this stuff happens ALL THE TIME. So... you are not alone!!

If I stop to think about it, I feel completely insane. But who isn't?
    Just because I'm an INFP doesn't mean I'm emo!

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I used to have imaginary conversations with God when I was 14 (not out loud). He was kinda nice, but very sneaky at the same time. Nowadays I don't have imaginary conversations anymore. Yes, sometimes I wonder what someone would have said about something or someone, but I don't do that conversation thing.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Sometimes when I'm working through something in my mind I will talk myself through it (or mentally explain it to someone with whom I was recently discussing the topic). I think equally often when there are words in my mind, though, it's me talking to myself or me laughing to myself.

Also I will have imaginary conversations with people I find attractive, which often leads to imaginary... other things.

I don't think I have trouble keeping track of what is real and what is imagined though. I do have a little bit of trouble keeping track of dreams sometimes.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

All Natural! All Good!

The same happens to me. I find it hard to remember if I just imagined saying something to someone or it actually happened.
    I also imagine stories. My characters have better conversations with each other than I get in real life, so I guess that is where it stems from.